News: Bruce Arena disagrees with Jurgen Klinsmann over U.S. World Cup miss

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by smokarz, Apr 18, 2018.

1. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    skim172 and Winoman repped this.
  2. Anderson11

Anderson11 Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How hard is it to say, “it was a failure, it’s embarrassing, we need to make changes, and we will”?

3. yurch10

yurch10 Member+

Feb 13, 2004
    This guy is like the gift that keeps on giving, only if the "gift" is unbridled arrogance, and "keeps on giving" is quotes exhibiting an astonishing lack of self awareness.

It's remarkable!

Serious question about these other countries (Italy this time around). What happens in these countries? Does the coach wait two weeks to resign, hoping to stay on for another try? Do they constantly look to other nations, like the US, who didn't qualify? Do fans back their Captain for Lyfe as a great player, who isn't required to lead and just didn't have the right players or formation around him? I can only imagine Italy is going to blow everything up the way Germany did around Klinsy's time, and how France did as well?

4. skim172

skim172 Member+

Feb 20, 2013
    It's amazing how since the T&T game, my opinion of Arena continues to drop every time he says something new. I am at the point that I'm wondering if he's actually suffering from a minor but judgment-affecting neurological disorder.

5. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    I am still angry at Jurgen for placing us in the hole then talking about the depressing result like he had no role in it and it is such a tragedy for "them."

IvanIV, HartwickFan, Kenp and 8 others repped this.
  6. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    If Jürgen was our tragedy why was Bruce our remedy?

If Jürgen was our insanity why was Bruce our clarity?

7. Susaeta

Susaeta BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 3, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The two should get BigSoccer accounts. They would fit right in. Sadly, neither would elevate the discourse.

8. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why do you hate Big Soccer?

9. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Has the link changed since the original post? It’s not working for me.

Bruce sucked. Jurgen sucked. The need to apportion levels of suckiness perplexes me.

spot, entropy, Marko72 and 3 others repped this.
  10. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    So .... Klinsmann going to release a diss track book about his time as the MNT coach sometime in the near future....right?

11. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    #TeamNobody on this one. They both are failures.

12. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would love to see a BigSoccer style epic rant between the two.

IvanIV, JJV1994 and TimB4Last repped this.
  13. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    It would be the cabinet rap battle from Hamilton, except terrible

JJV1994, Ironbound, skim172 and 2 others repped this.
  14. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT

Jurgen surely is not 'blame free', but he did not put us in a hole. He did however put us in a bad start.

The first two games were against Mexico and Costa Rica. Realistically you expect 2 points from these games, or maybe 1 point.

Costa Rica is a very good team at home. I would expected us to loose 1-0 or 2-0 on the road at Costa Rica. Tie at home against Mexico.

We ended up getting 0 point out of these 2 games. Bad, but not terrible.

We still got 8 games left to go, much easier games than the first 2.

The next 8 games give us a possible 24 points total, let's assume we win 4 at home and tie 4 on the road. That's 16 points, more than enough to qualify. We did not, we got 12 points, half of the points available. This is on Arena.

IMO, Jurgen get maybe 10-20% of the blame, Arena gets the rest.

15. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    I actually have more sympathy for Arena. He was sent in on a reclamation job with little room for error so most decisions a coach makes in growing the roster, finding players all of that was gone. It was drag this team across the line. You compound that object with Bruce's faults and it was a disaster. Sunil deserves 100% blame.

16. Socarchist

Socarchist Member+

Feb 21, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Yes, actually a triple diagnosis. "Arrogantitis" plus "Blame Casting Syndrome" plus "Lack of Self Awareness Disorder." All three are treatment resistant.

Then, or course, there are the non-medical factors: complacency, surrounding oneself with yes men, lack of accountability, loads of cash in the bank with more to come from book sales and tv appearances.

juveeer, JJV1994 and TimB4Last repped this.
  17. yurch10

yurch10 Member+

Feb 13, 2004
    This is all correct. Not sure why Klinsy still gets so much blame and elicits such emotion. He was a silly guy, not a good coach, who was fired a few months too late. So what. He failed to get a point from 2 of the 3 most difficult games of the Hex. Not really a big deal. Not only that but Bruce GOT a point at Mexico, which just makes his failure that much worse!

He had what, over a year to integrate more/better players? People talk like he picked up a team on Friday and had to qualify by Sunday. He had friendlies, he had easy qualifiers, he had a COMPLETELY useless Gold Cup, but decided it wasn't worth finding new guys and promoting competition, instead bringing in the Lions to grab that simple, useless GC Championship headline. Could have easily played Miazga, a younger GKer or two, Roldan, Dax, and Dwyer all six games. They likely still would have won the tournament, and bam, your lame-ass old Lions would have a fire lit under them, knowing their positions weren't guaranteed anymore.

He didn't do it. He kept bringing in all the same old tired, arrogant, lazy, entitled players, under the illusion (slurped up by the media and 95% of fans) that THERE WAS NO TIME. This is 95% on Arena. And I'm no Klinsy backer, he was complete "Emperor's wearing no clothes" type dummy.

juveeer, Just Offside, chad and 5 others repped this.
  18. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    8 Hex matches wasn't a 'reclamation job'. Arena had plenty of time to figure things and to make the team his own.

KicksNgiggles, juveeer, acima and 6 others repped this.
  19. ifsteve

ifsteve Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Jul 7, 2013
    MS and ID
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Horse crap. Had we gotten one freaking point we would have qualified. And its not that we failed to get any points in those first two matches. Its how bad we looked in the second one. Clearly the team wasn't in it at that point and THAT is all Klnsmann.

That was a terrible position to put any following coach in. Now that said Arena failed miserably too, especially the final match.

And the players failed miserably too.

They all share equally in this crap.

20. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Losing to Mexico and Costa Rica was bad but not terrible given the quality of the opponents. Arena still had 8 games. He simply blew it.

acima, LouisianaViking07/09 and JJV1994 repped this.
  21. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Wait, did you copy this straight from the Politics & Current Events Forum?

Not cool, dude!

COMtnGuy, chad and Socarchist repped this.
  22. yurch10

yurch10 Member+

Feb 13, 2004
    Wrong.

Wasn't a great situation for Arena obviously, but one VERY easy to get out of. 95% of this is his fault.

And for all that I bag on the LIONS and MB in particular (as well as the GKers), I have said it before that I don't really blame them. It's not their fault they were guaranteed a place in the starting 11 despite not really being good anymore. This was Klinsy to a lesser extent, and then Arena's fault. They just came to play (albeit poorly) when they were called in and handed a starting spot. Am I to think MB is supposed to say "I'm not very good anymore, this whole Captain for Life thing is stupid, let me take a break"? I wish he would have of course, but I'll never blame him. The whole "walking to the corner flag" thing people will bring up, sure, that was weak, but I still don't blame these guys for not being very good.

23. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    Bruce is more insecure than MLS fans the way he keeps comparing us to Europe. His arguments are also very thin.

Comparing our not qualifying to Italy is absurd. Italy finished 2nd in their group with 23 points or 19 points in their last 8 games. They lost at Spain, tied Spain and Macedonia at home, and won the rest of their games. It must be pretty easy winning at Macedonia, Lichtenstein, Israel, and Albania. Italy wouldn’t have rolled over against T&T and the fool even suggested those hotshot European couldn’t win there right before his time sh!t the bed.

The guy wasn’t put in any position. He took the job and failed miserably. He has always made excuses and has been horrible for the game in this country. One lucky ride doesn’t undo all the effort to keep things from changing.

24. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    Confirming your pure trolldom

25. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Not qualifying was the best thing that could happen for us going forward.

We will now put behind us the Arena type explanations like "I was just going to get by qualification and then I was going to look at all these 'new' players for Russia". No you weren't.

Everything is manana with these tired old door-to-door salesmen in carpetbag suits. It's never the time for experimentation, we'll do it tomorrow. Tomorrow comes and there's no time for experimentation but there's plenty of time after the last game of the hex before the WC?

b/t.w., the story wouldn't load from the link above but I remember it quoting Arena as saying something about how "administration" and how things are run needing to change. Is anybody going to ask him to clarify those remarks? Or are we going to continue complaining that a 17 yr old only got 5 minutes instead of 10 in his rookie debut in a friendly with Paraguay and blame the manager for wanting to "win". Wanting to win is now the new crime in US soccer media and then we wonder why we don't win.

2in10 repped this.