Brooks vs Pulisic Vol. 1 Dortmund X Hertha

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Gameday' started by bballshawn, Feb 6, 2016.

1. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    Gundogan did him no favors, but yeah he can't lose it there.

Gacm32 repped this.
  2. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    Just switched him tactically from the bench with Ramos who came in for Aubameyang.

Pulisic playing central striker now.

3. largegarlic

largegarlic Member+

Jul 2, 2007
    Credit to Hertha here. They're keeping things really tight and not allowing Dortmund much time and space.

4. dannd23

dannd23 Member

Jun 10, 2014
    Brooks is man of the match IMO.

Midas Mulligan and Gacm32 repped this.
  5. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    Jesus Brooks did that on purpose.
    That was awesome

6. nycfc919

nycfc919 Member+

Aug 17, 2015
    Brooks has an incredibly high ceiling - if he can clean up some of the mental lapses in his game watch out

Gacm32 repped this.
  7. largegarlic

largegarlic Member+

Jul 2, 2007
    Yeah, last week was the Pulisic show, but this game, Brooks is closing down everything coming up the middle.

8. GiallorossiYank

GiallorossiYank Member+

Jan 20, 2011
    NJ/Roma/Napoli
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would love for Brooks to steal the match on a corner here

9. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the last 10 minutes that I watched, Dortmund was pretty much completely contained. They passed the ball around but could not penetrate.

10. dannd23

dannd23 Member

Jun 10, 2014
    That was the best I have ever seen Brooks play. Pulisic was rather quiet but didn't make any huge mistakes from what I could tell.

bballshawn repped this.
  11. bballshawn

bballshawn Member+

Feb 5, 2014
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    nothing dortmund or pulisic could do. brooks and hertha too solid on D

Brooks - 1 Pulisic - 0

12. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Playing mostly up top as a central forward, Pulisic struggled to find the game. No one from BVB was looking great attacking, though. He had one sloppy giveaway that led to a dangerous counterattack. Hopefully he's used in a wide or withdrawn position in the future.

Brooks was great.

13. largegarlic

largegarlic Member+

Jul 2, 2007
    I agree. He's big, good in the air, fairly mobile for a big dude, and has pretty decent technical ability for a CB. He has all the tools to be a world-class CB, if he gets the mental side of the game figured out (which seems to be happening).

14. Gacm32

Gacm32 Member+

Chelsea
    Switzerland
    Nov 28, 2010
    Geneva
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Pulisic had a few good moments when played out wide, but once he got moved to CF, he couldn't find the game. I think thats more down to Bertha shutting down the middle. I've been saying this a long time:Brooks is a star in the making. There's a reason people in Germany compare him to Boateng.

15. Mario Balotelli

Mario Balotelli Member+

United States
    Feb 28, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brooks has been tremendous since he's reentered the starting lineup in November. He's cleaned up his ball watching tendencies, he's become lethal in the air, and his passing has been very good. Hertha will probably have to decide between keeping him or taking a big money offer this summer.

Pulisic wasn't really able to get into the game but the action had become cagey and both teams looked like they were settled on taking the point. He did have a poor giveaway (Gundogan shouldn't have passed it to him there in the first place) that led to a dangerous counter.

Gacm32 repped this.
  16. Parmigiano

Parmigiano Member

Jun 20, 2003
    Not sure why they moved Pulisic to the center (false nine-ish), but it seemed to take him out of the game a bit.

Nonetheless, Pulisic had some nice early touches and showed no fear. Herta defended in numbers and played a very good game. Deserved draw, Brooks man of the match.

You cant help but imagine it all coming together for Brooks. He has it hall. Size, strength, speed, poise, IQ, skill.

If ever that day comes, look out.

Gacm32 repped this.
  17. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    Loved CPs first touch. Just deadened a 40 yard screamer, and them calmly sends a guy through. Next few touches see him possess and move, very active in crowded spaces. Gets another nice burst to get a cross in. First 5 minutes were really nice for him.

His main fault was when Reus puts nice ball out wide to him, he tries to take on his man and got his pocket picked. Killed the attack but didn't come to anything.

The "giveaway" was not on him at all. Guy plays a desperate toe poke behind him with 3 guys surrounding. He does enough to control and poke it back. But it was a mess from the get go and not on CP at all, in my opinion. He them hustled back 70 yards to pressure Kalou's shot.

Gacm32 and Mario Balotelli repped this.
  18. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kid showed very little. Will be interesting if he stays in 18 or is passed over for other options off bench in the next match. Such is the reality of life at a top club.

19. dannd23

dannd23 Member

Jun 10, 2014
    Did he look worse in his time than anyone else for Dortmund on the field? They simply couldn't penetrate Hertha's backline. He didn't stand out at all, but no one else did either. The only player doing anything in attack oddly enough in the final minutes was Hummels.