Bronze medal match (CAN - FRA)

Discussion in '2016 Olympic Women's Soccer Tournament' started by Lusankya, Aug 8, 2012.

1. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Well, I guess there are some lessons here...
    ...But I guess I won't even bother mentioning them, since they're so obvious. :rolleyes:

(I'll just mention lesson 1, I can't resist: start with your best line-up, instead of making adjustments after an hour. Do you think Canada would have got away with Bronze with Abily and Le Sommer as starters?)

2. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    france is potentially the second coming of brasil but can't even get to the champion rounds. anyway, the last two tournaments are their first on center stage. good luck to the french girls in 2015.

3. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    yep, because they can't finish either. they were just fresh legs. if they had started the game, they would have been launching those air balls too. nice one, anyway. usa turned le sommer into a ghost when delie got hurt. she's a nice replacement like baby horse :rolleyes: use to be but she cant finish like usa's down hill runner. and thomis has a poor football iq.

4. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    just a symptom of bini's incompetence. abily starting for soub and catala coming on earlier... oh what the hell, it doesn't matter now.

5. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Viva CONCACAF !!!

6. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    you really believe abily would have made a difference. abily, necib and thiney are the main ones who shoot their long range air balls. next?

7. Lemartes

Lemartes Member

Apr 19, 2009
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Well that was a disappointing match, was hoping France would stomp Canada.

8. Romario'sgurl

Romario'sgurl Member+

Wakanda FC
    Aug 26, 2000
    Wakanda
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Thomis is a tight, little player with loads of potential. That defense is all over the place some times. I didn't see the last part of the match bc of work but I assume that the goal was preventable?

9. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    they need to work on her finishing like riley did with natasha, who is also a great athlete but doesn't always know what to do when she gets behind defenders. that's the same problem with thomis. basically, they are alone striker club, so canada just dropped bodies around delie like japan did, and you can get rid of her for long blocks during the game. necid is hype. their attacking mid-field shoots all long balls but aren't a accurate as yoreli rincon. bruno has his work cut by the next WC, because germany will be back in the mix. the franco girl on the wings played nicely today and so did wendi.

10. Katreus

Katreus Member

Jul 3, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    France really needs to get a better training regime on in terms of fitness - and maybe some weight training.

They were really flagging by the end.

11. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    she's not as young as she looks so potential is not where it's at. she's actually been finishing better in the last few months than ever before but her game is pure speed and she's got enough of it that we accept her as is. she's done s more good than bad the past year.

12. Catel

Catel Member

Dec 18, 2006
    Lyon, France
    Nat'l Team:
    France
  13. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    no negatives on her but they need to work on her finishing. it can be done. riley did it with natasha kai in the last season of the wps. many felt kai should have been on the WC squad. without that, teams just make adjusts as the game goes and take delie away as you get further into the match. japan did it, canada did it again today.

14. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    fitness is one thing but you also have to think that most of those girls haven't had more than two week's vacation in 2 years and have played as many as 70 matches in the last 12 months.

15. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

Kai and AROD up top was YOUR dream team forwards, but no one else's. A scattershot and a black hole for passes...

16. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

Then their FA planned badly.

17. Romario'sgurl

Romario'sgurl Member+

Wakanda FC
    Aug 26, 2000
    Wakanda
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Yeah, no negatives from me about the Thomis. I figured that speed thing wad her selling point. I still think she can be molded into a true footballer with the right guidance.

How did Wendie do in the second half? She's my fav but has a tendency to come and go during matches , too.

Excuse the the typos--i hate typing on a phone! :(

18. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Oh, you remembered that from the WPS season. :D

Who was my favorite owner?

19. Area 51

Area 51 Member+

Sep 5, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Canada didn't deserve to win today, they wobbled, they were inconsistent, and never showed the quality and ball movement/pressing game they did against the USA.

Sinclair interview right now: "I was exhausted by the half"....they really dug deep, defended tenaciously, and rode their luck(luck they deserved after the heartbreak of the semi final)

So happy for Sinclair, she deserves that medal more than anybody...easily top 3-5 player in the world, and arguably the best.

France, really great team, abily and le sommer should be starters, the defense is vulnerable and Canada didn;t expose it because they had nothing left in the tank, emotionally or physically, but the midfield and attack is fluid and quick( Probably amongst top three in the world)..

great team to watch, and with the majority playing on a team like Lyon who has high standerds of quality, the team has a real chance in 2015. We'll see you there, and hopefully in the latter stages:)

They eerily reminded me of Portugal in their prime today with the midfield movement, wing play....anddddddddddddd the profound ability to not score even in a life saving situation.

Just hope that there's a top quality playmaker bubbling around somewhere in Canada's u17/u20 womens youth teams to provide some cutting edge and let Sinclair play her proper position.

20. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Franco and Wendi were impressive. I'm sure the others had their favorites in the match. I know one thing Necib isn't Formiga. Maybe she stars for Lyons, but I only saw one decent game from her in the Olympics.

21. Area 51

Area 51 Member+

Sep 5, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    This, everyone kept calling her the Zidane of soccer but I just couldn't see it. Formiga and Rapinoe are a quality above from the admittedly few games I've seen of all of them.

22. CAFAN

CAFAN Member

May 30, 2003
    Canada had no legs for most of the game and were just running on fumes. Gutsy, gutsy performance against a very, very good team. WOW!!!

23. Romario'sgurl

Romario'sgurl Member+

Wakanda FC
    Aug 26, 2000
    Wakanda
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Glad she had a solid game! Sucks about the result. But it's apart of football 101: you've got to convert those opportunities!

I'm really starting to view Necib as I do Maurine--another glamour girl in a football jersey....

24. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Necib + Anyone > Maurine + Ester :D

I don't think it gets worst than those two when Formiga is out.

I would have to watch Lyons. Maurine was quite good for Santos. That's why they called her the next Marta before Thais arrived. :ROFLMAO: How about Debora, being the next Marta?

Anyway, I give France a bit of room to develop. This squad only showed up for the first time at the WC but they should have came up with a goal today. No excuses this time!

But a counter by Canada was written all over the game.

25. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    yes, they should have told the champs league, the WWC and the olympics to do things differently.