Broken Promises and Political Deception by Al Gore*

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by phats_away, Aug 4, 2002.

1. phats_away

phats_away Member

Jul 28, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga
  2. DoctorJones24

DoctorJones24 Member

Aug 26, 1999
    OH
    His characterization of the Bush/Cheney team is pretty fair, but let's remember that these Democrats he is touting accept almost as much in donations and bribes as the Republicans from the same corporations. Basically, a vote for either of these two parties, when ANY alternative is available, is a vote against Democracy.

Ok, maybe not for the Constitution Party.

3. TheWakeUpBomb

TheWakeUpBomb Member

Mar 2, 2000
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    The opening line is my favorite:

This from a guy who took over his father's Senate seat, and then road the coattails of a popular presidential candidate/president when his own politcal career seemingly reached its zenith.

I know he trying to put GWB in the former category here, but he is right there with him.

4. DoctorJones24

DoctorJones24 Member

Aug 26, 1999
    OH
    Absolutely, WakeupBomb. He and GW are both part of the "East Coast brahmin" class that Vidal loves to criticize.

PS: What does your signiature mean? Try to stop America from doing what? And who is the "us" in that line? Soccer or political reference? Just curious.

5. TheWakeUpBomb

TheWakeUpBomb Member

Mar 2, 2000
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I may have missed the exact statement, but it was on a t-shirt that Homer wears when the Simpsons visited Rio. The lifeguard picks Homer and Bart out as Americans at the beach, and Homer wants to know how the lifeguard knew he was an American. As Homer turns to the lifeguard, you see his t-shirt which has a picture of Uncle Sam baring his teeth and taking a bite of the globe with "Just Try To Stop Us" written across the top. Funny stuff.

6. DoctorJones24

DoctorJones24 Member

Aug 26, 1999
    OH
    Awesome.

7. TheWakeUpBomb

TheWakeUpBomb Member

Mar 2, 2000
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Lieberman responds to Gore's op-ed.

And Joe's not a fan.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm...020804/ap_on_el_ge/lieberman_gore_5&printer=1

8. Dan Loney

Dan Loney BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 10, 2000
    Cincilluminati
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    Backstory: Joe's backing off a promise not to run against Al for the Democratic nomination.

This will be a highly amusing primary, at least on the Democratic side. Of course, Bush might lose a primary or two running unopposed, at the rate he's going.

9. TheWakeUpBomb

TheWakeUpBomb Member

Mar 2, 2000
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    In the Yahoo story above, he again makes the promise not to run against Gore.

10. Manolo

Manolo Moderator
    Staff Member

May 14, 1997
    Queens, NY
    I think it shows character that Gore is privileged yet still promotes a pro-working class ideology. Criticizing Gore because he too was born into privilege is, more appropriately, a criticism of inequalities inherent in our socioeconomic system that make it virtually impossible for those born to middle or working-class families to aspire to the presidency. People like Gore envision a world where those not born into privilege can wield political influence and be elected to high office, something which is not realistic in the current system.

11. Colin Grabow

Colin Grabow New Member

Jul 22, 1999
    Washington, DC
    Ronald Reagan was born into privilege? And wasn't Bill Clinton just a good old boy from tiny Hope, Arkansas?

12. joseph pakovits

joseph pakovits New Member

Apr 29, 1999
    fly-over country
    Oh you can do it if you're not from a rich elite family but you have to whore yourself to the Fortune 500 to get the necessary $$$ to run.

What the current system does it keeps almost all parties and candidates within an ideological box acceptable to the CEOs and the interests of Big Businesses which are the only social institutions capable of successfully funding most Congressional and Presidential campaigns.

13. Ian McCracken

Ian McCracken Member

May 28, 1999
    USA
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Oh, this is going to be so fun! Hillary against Lieberman against Gore. Sit back and get the popcorn ready! Could the Democrats be so suicidal as to nominate one of those three sure losers?? The ONLY Democrat currently being mentioned with any chance against GW is John Edwards from North Carolina. This is only because he's from the "south" and once his trial lawyer record is opened up for scrutiny I'm sure he'll fall like a ton-o-bricks as well. Election 2004 is over, folks. GWB will be re-elected, probably in a landslide. The American people are not going to fault him if the economy tanks because they realize 9/11 has a lot to do with it. But, gosh dang, I'm going to enjoy the Demoncratic primaries with Hillary and Gore chirping back and forth at each other.

14. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    Just curious, Ian. Edwards is from North Carolina. Why is that the "south" and not the south (sans quote marks?)

15. Manolo

Manolo Moderator
    Staff Member

May 14, 1997
    Queens, NY
    So, not only does 9/11 make Bush untouchable on foreign policy, but it also protects him from criticism of his domestic and economic policy?!

I'm not saying you're wrong, but I hope that American voters realize that 9/11 is no reason to abandon their right to make an intelligent, informed decision.

16. Garcia

Garcia Member

Dec 14, 1999
    Castro Castro
    That and his current 5% piece of the polled vote.

17. Garcia

Garcia Member

Dec 14, 1999
    Castro Castro
    Like anybody really has ever done such a thing?

18. Manolo

Manolo Moderator
    Staff Member

May 14, 1997
    Queens, NY
    Silly me...I forgot about all the people who voted for Bush the first time around!

19. Ian McCracken

Ian McCracken Member

May 28, 1999
    USA
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I put it in quotes because some people don't consider North Carolina as part of the current day south, especially with the huge influx of northeasterners into the state.

20. Mike Lane

Mike Lane New Member

Jan 3, 2001
    Atlanta
    Yep. I'm voting against Bush, and will be out there screaming in support of his opponent if he invade Iraq.

21. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    Heck you could say the same thing about Florida. We've got more New Yorkers than New York just about (myself included).

22. Ian McCracken

Ian McCracken Member

May 28, 1999
    USA
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I don't consider Florida part of the south anymore. Rural Florida is still in many ways part of the old South. The coastal areas are now populated by buffoons from the liberal northeast, hence their inability to comprehend a simple ballot last election.

23. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    Despite being potentially libelous ;), your statement is funny because it's wrong. The southeast coast of Florida is largely populated by Democrats, but the same can't be said for all coastal portions of the state.

But hey, any chance to rip on liberals, right? You're getting to be a one-trick pony, Ian.

24. Manolo

Manolo Moderator
    Staff Member

May 14, 1997
    Queens, NY
    How did elderly retired Jews all of a sudden become buffoons from the liberal northeast?