Broadcast Alert: U19s USA/GER on FSW 5pm ET Thu Dec 2

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by AndyMead, Dec 2, 2004.

1. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    About one minute from now.

2. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    The Brazil/US third place game will be shown Friday at 5pm ET - which is opposite the second semifinal of the Womens World Cup. However, FSW will rebroadcast both USA games early next week.

3. RUUDVN

RUUDVN BigSoccer Yellow Card

Sep 3, 2004
    NYC
    a little note from the U-19 WC : I think Amy Rodriguez is the successor to Milbrett, they both play the same style ( which i like ) .. Rapinoe will be a great asset for the USWNT, she can be a good winger soon and Angie Woznuk is a great play maker is also a great asset for our national team ( a danger for Wagner position ) ... the future of our women national team will be in good hands indeed.

4. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Tuesday 11pm ET - USA/Germany
    Wednesday 11pm ET - USA/Brazil - opposite the live USWNT/Mexico game

5. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado
    For all the talk that our WNT is headed for a dark few years, I don't believe a word of it. I saw most of both the Germany and Brazil matches and from what I saw, they look like a talented bunch to say the least. I actually enjoyed watching them more than the senior team. It was refreshing to watch us actually dominate a team (referring to the Brazil match--excluding a few insane runs from Marta, the US was in control for the full 90).
    Come WWC '07, my money is on the USA, Germany, and Brazil (no particular order) for the top three.

The defense did an admirable job, especially in the face of such talented attackers. Kudos to Sauerbrunn and Lopez who I thought were outstanding and very composed. The midfield was where IMO the US thouroghly controlled the action. Logterman looked promising as a defensive middie and switched the field well. I agree with RUUDVN, Wagner was her worked cut out for her trying to keep her spot. She has a string of other AM options who are quicker and faster than she is (ie Tarpley, Woznuk, Hanks)

Up front, Rodriguez has the speed and goal scorer's mentality that the US has lacked in front of net lately. She is a definate possibility for the future.
    I know she wasn't on this U-19 team, but does someone more informed know if Kelly Wilson is still an option for the US up front?

My wild prediction for a '07 roster and starting XI (with age in '07)

------------------Mullinix(29)/Solo(25?)/Harris(23)----------------
    --Reddick(25)-----Rampone(32)----Markgraf(30)-----Lopez(23)
    -----------------------------Boxx(30)---------------------------
    ----------Tarpley(25)----------------------Chalupny(24)--------
    ---------------------------Woznuk(23)--------------------------
    --------------Wambach(27)---------O'reilly(23)------------------

Subs:
    -Back-up Keeper (GK)
    -Saurebrunn (23)
    -Beuhler (23)
    -Osborne (25?)
    -Rapinoe (23)
    -Wilson (24?)
    -Wagner (27)
    -Lilly (35)
    -Hanks (23?)

I know this seems like a very young team, but without a league, its hard to keep track of middle aged (25-30) players. Hopefully some will be developed in the next few years.

6. RUUDVN

Sep 3, 2004
    NYC
    how about the U-21 players ? i heard there's bunch of great players in it ....

7. CAFAN

CAFAN Member

May 30, 2003
    USA's 2004 U19 team was very talented. If I was an American, I'd be keenly interested in that team as well as the U21's. IMO Brazil was not that strong at the U19 Championships. Germany, Canada, and the USA were the 3 strongest teams, followed by Nigeria and China. The next bunch included Brazil, Spain, Australia, Russia etc. Overall, the differences were quite small so it would be easy to quibble about any assessment. Things were quite a bit simpler in 2002.

The USA u19 team had a great m/f and showed lots of pretty playmaking all over the field - as expected. Both Canada and Germany beat the USA by having more scoring punch - something the USWNT is also going to need more of in the future.

Germany, USA and Brazil may be tier 1 teams in 2007 but the list is too small. Denmark will be a power, so will China and Canada - and that list is still too small. Getting more like the men's situation every day and 3 years is a long way out.

I like your lineup. I doubt Lilly will be there (even on the bench) and Wagner is questionable too. I think Logterman will be there - she has potential to be a starter.

8. RUUDVN

Sep 3, 2004
    NYC
    I kinda disagree with you CAFAN, about Lilly, ....I think Lilly will be the captain in 2007 WC... & retiring right after.

9. RUUDVN

Sep 3, 2004
    NYC
    in my opinion, before the U-19 players step into the senior team, the U-21 players will be ahead of them..... except for Wozzie.

10. CAFAN

CAFAN Member

May 30, 2003
    According to some fans, before the U21' step up, some of the older players (WUSA vets etc. who haven't yet been given a shot) have first dibs.

If were up to me, I'd want the coach to select the talent he/she felt would produce the best team in 2007 (i.e. after 3 more years of preparation and international experience). No pecking order and no points for players who have waited longest. If those players were all WUSA vets or all U21's I wouldn't mind one bit - as long as the decisions were made on the basis of what's best for the '07 team. Of course no one has a crystal ball and selection mistakes will happen, but making decisions for the right reasons is critical.

Which brings us back to Lilly. She is not the player she once was and she'll be just that much older and slower in 2007. The women's game is on the verge of some very big changes. In three more years the top teams will be better and faster than the best team the USWNT has ever produced - or played against. Brazil and Denmark were just a taste of what's coming. I give Mia, Jules and Joy a lot of credit - they saw the writing on the wall and made the right decision. Interesting that the most gifted of all the immortals was the first to announce her retirement.