Brits formerly held in Iran: Aftermath

Discussion in 'International News' started by Ismitje, Apr 5, 2007.

1. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. I think that any maneuvers will see the attached Ship staying much closer, or perhaps even have air support with them at all times.

This was certainly a planned event. They knew what they wanted to do and did it.

2. Swab the poopdeck

Swab the poopdeck New Member

Jun 5, 2006
    in gurland
    That's a good question. I've no doubt they could do it again, as pretty much any country can do this sort of thing if they put their minds to it and don't care that much about the consequences. I'm also sure there is a fair amount of patience and goodwill towards Iran internationally that has now been lost over this little escapade. In a future similar event, any favourable arguements put forward by Iran's main trading partners, like germany and japan, either won't be made, or at the very least, will carry less weight. That's a pretty heavy price to pay for a short-term publicity stunt.

I understand Iran's actions to a point given the western (aka the US) presence in it's region, but pissing off the influential friends it may have had is naive to the extreme. A potentially wasted opportunity and really not the best way to go about things..

3. johnh00

johnh00 Member

Apr 25, 2001
    CT, USA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ummm, no I didn't. :confused: Maybe you have me confused with someone else. Go ahead and call up my post history in this forum, if you'd like. I've only posted 3 or 4 times, and I never, ever, said anything against the Royal Marines, or the British.

I even made it a point to say that I didn't know what kind of force these marines were, in an effort to give the 15 detainees the benefit of the doubt(i.e. they weren't trained for how to respond to being captured). When someone showed they spent 30 weeks, just in basic training :eek: , I readily conceded they were better trained then the American marines. The only thing I ever questioned was why the 15 captured marines and sailors behaved the way they did.

4. johnh00

johnh00 Member

Apr 25, 2001
    CT, USA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    See, this is the kind of response I was looking for - a reasoned argument. I disagree with you in that I think the behavior of the sailors & marines was going to have very little impact on how long they were captive. I think that was decided on by other parties and that their "confessions" and waving and everything else didn't matter very much. I could be wrong, though, that's just my reading of the situation. A simple name, rank and serial number response to questioning and sitting blandly for the cameras probably wouldn't have mattered too much to their release time.
    Nor have I, in regards to the government's response. I thought it was handled very well by the British government, despite the grief they got from people on both sides of the aisle.

5. Shaster

Shaster Member+

Apr 13, 1999
    El Cerrito, CA, USA
    It will not happen again.

What Iranian did this for the purpose:

1. Stir domestic nationalist sentiment in the wake of new UN sanction and smooth out internal police debate that resulted from US' intensified pressure.

2. Showed Iran's ability on tit-for-tit. So if you play tough game, we can match you.

3. Showed Iran is flexible on negotiation if they are "respected as equal" and without threat. So if you are nice to us, we will nice to you.

4. Somehow forced UK to open a bilaterial direct diplomatic channel for future negotiaions on nulcear issue.

5. Tested the real intention of US about attacking Iran--at least looks US is not really into it like it pretends.

6. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My opinion is that I believe that Iran, like the Iraqi people are for the most part wonderful people however they are run by a repressive government that does not allow people to express themselves for fear of reprisal. I think that if a war were to start every man from 14-60 would forced into service if need be. I also think that some of the Iranians that post here talk a big talk but would the the last one to sign up and fight for their country.

7. Operation Opera

Mar 18, 2007
    iranians are nationalists like the turkish people. in the war with iraq iranians in america went to iran to help iran against iraq and the united states

8. Txtriathlete

Txtriathlete Member

Aug 6, 2004
    The American Empire
    Thats so obvious it didn't need expressing, every country has wonderful people. ANY country who when needed will ask everyone to join, including the US. What you say now is very different from what you said earlier.
    Iran is not as anti muslim as the government makes it out to be, Iran has been a multicultural nation for a lot longer than most countries has existed, they know and live well with each other. Saying that every Iranian will take a gun and shoot any non muslim is simply an insult to anyone who is Iranian.

To be honest with you, if a war were to start, no one would be forced to do anything, they would all volunteer, Persians in general (that includes all religions) are very patriotic and would much rather live under a repressive regime than to be occupied by foreign one. History is full of these examples.

The Iranians on this board are in no way representative of the average Iranian at all. I know I for one am not, and I honestly doubt if the average Iranian in Iran would share any of our views on here. Don't pass judgment on a nation based on what a few posters post on a message board, news propaganda, or what you see in Iraq, its incomplete and very superficial.

9. Operation Opera

Mar 18, 2007
    that is what i am saying. persians dont want to be invaded

10. Umar

Umar Member+

Sep 13, 2005
    One step ahead
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    Interesting pice by Andrew Sullivan, right-wing commentator, on the American attitudes to the Iranian crisis. His most salient point is that the US is limited in its capacity to deal with Iran, either on a military or diplomatic front, due to the US administrations incompetence and short-sightedness in Iraq. You can't attack Iran militarily, because "the United States, to put it bluntly, is not ready for conflict" due to the surge strategy in Iraq being put at risk and because "if the United States had used this moment to launch an attack on Iran... the country would hurtle towards a constitutional crisis, with Congress coming close to a veto-proof majority against a commander-in-chief at a time of war".

On a diplomatic front you cannot criticise Iran because "the United States itself has done far worse in the war on terror, even in those areas of conflict, such as Iraq, where not even Donald Rumsfeld said Geneva did not apply. There is a memo with the president’s signature on it relaxing adherence to Geneva — and one he refuses to revoke". (BTW it is my understanding that Geneva doesn't apply in this case, but its principles can be used to develop criticism of various actions, which although not legally binding, may be argued to be morally relevant).

He concludes with his belief that "military force against Iran is not a viable option for the foreseeable future, and that, at some point, some diplomatic attempt to deal with Tehran on a limited agenda may well be necessary. If Iraq had not been bungled, none of this would be the case."

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/columnists/andrew_sullivan/article1626533.ece

Perhaps the US military might have fought back, and perhaps any US servicepeople might not have smoked cigarettes and played chess in front of cameras, but once captured the US administration would likely have had to negotiate. And judging by the US's negotiating skills at present, they would still be negotiating today without their people back at home.

11. Sagy

Sagy Member

Aug 6, 2004
    Is there a country/people that do want to be invaded?

12. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Point 5 is way off base. Try not to confuse UK and US. It was UK personnel that were taken not US people. UK asked the US to tone down the rhetoric and we did. For #5 to be accurate, Iran would have had to take US hostages.

13. Shaster

Shaster Member+

Apr 13, 1999
    El Cerrito, CA, USA
    That will be too far as a test. Both sides need room to move.

14. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, but again your point 5 is incorrect as it wasn't the US that was being tested.

15. Operation Opera

Mar 18, 2007
    no iran wanted to test america. iran wanted to know how the world react to a agressive iran.

16. Dr Jay

Dr Jay BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 7, 1999
    Newton, MA USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you ask the W.P.E., Iraq was begging for the US to come in.

17. Rick B

Rick B Member

Aug 26, 2003
    Harare, Zimbabwe
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Zimbabwe
    I think this could actually be the simplest sentance with a lot of truth in it. Except that they were not just testing America, they were testing the Western alliance in general.

18. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree that they were testing the West, but it wasn't as much about America as you said. The US did what we should have done, and that is let UK handle the situation. If they wanted to test they US then they would have chosen a US target. I really don't see that happening because aside from all the stupidity that Bush has done, any overt action against the US would have given Bush an excuse to fight Iran and one that would have gotten backing from the people of the US.

19. Rick B

Rick B Member

Aug 26, 2003
    Harare, Zimbabwe
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Zimbabwe
    I agree, but then I don't know how easy it would be? I mean do we share patrols with you on the sea borders? I assume that if we don't then it would be far easier to capture Brits than Americans. Plus however much we ourselves see the difference, many countries and their citizens do not see the difference between the UK and US and see as one enemy.

20. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes this is the difference. We are looking at this from a western POV while as you stated, the ME views the US and UK as one and the same.

I give big props to UK for how they handled this situation. Hopefully a different path towards diplomacy can be found from this situation. If not, then I think it is only a matter of time, and not that long either, before we see another shooting war.

21. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. Umar

Umar Member+

Sep 13, 2005
    One step ahead
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    Apparently there is a big media storm about how the UK Navy erred in letting the marines sell their stories to newspapers.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/6546303.stm

[​IMG]

UK marine: "As you can see from the map provided, we were initially on the right side of the boundaries of taste and decency, but sadly after selling our stories to the press and losing the media battle we accidentally crossed this boundary and found ourselves in Iranian hot water. My apologies to the Iranian people etc."

23. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    Somebody needs to come up with a good France joke.

24. Ferdosi

Ferdosi Member

Oct 6, 2004
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sorry Rick, but I couldnt hold this one back [​IMG]

25. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Going in and out of the UK a lot these days I dip in and out of the english papers on planes and stuff.

I have been fascinated at how the whole thing which started as a Iranian PR stunt (mainly for internal consumption I think) quickly was turned into pure tabloid PR in the UK (while elsewhere english soldiers were dying as usual) before finally they all became Big Brother Style 5 mins of fame stars, before being villified within 3 days of being home :eek: