Brits formerly held in Iran: Aftermath

Discussion in 'International News' started by Ismitje, Apr 5, 2007.

1. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But the reality is that while there are many different ethnic groups in Iran 97 percent of the population is Muslim.

2. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bad weather took them down. Mother nature is still stronger then humanity.

3. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually that isn't true. They are trained and are in use all over the world.
    You won't hear much about what they do because like all black ops, they are kept secret til well after the events are over.

4. white riot

white riot Member+

England
    Apr 27, 2005
    Southampton, England
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Impressive bravado from the US based Iranians.

5. Operation Opera

Mar 18, 2007
    even in north korea and iran?

6. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Most likely, just like Russia has their Spetnaz in the US and Europe.

7. Sagy

Sagy Member

Aug 6, 2004
    Probably.

Unless it was a failure, you are likely to have to wait for 30+ years (sometimes even longer) before anything will be revealed. There are exceptions, but they are rare.

8. Mani

Mani BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 1, 2004
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    What are you on about & who are you talking to? Which "US based Iranians"? Txtriathlete is the only "US based Iranian" on this thread. kami_kakashi and Iranian Monitor both live in Iran.

9. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Most of them live in Canada.

10. Txtriathlete

Txtriathlete Member

Aug 6, 2004
    The American Empire
    Ok now that yall have me singled out :) ... what is it?

11. white riot

white riot Member+

England
    Apr 27, 2005
    Southampton, England
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    What about that Val guy, he's got plenty to say, the one with the bizzaro bearded ladyboy in his avatar, he's in the US or Canada or wherever.

12. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Baltimore-Washington Metropolitan Area

13. Txtriathlete

Txtriathlete Member

Aug 6, 2004
    The American Empire
    Wrong thread.

14. white riot

white riot Member+

England
    Apr 27, 2005
    Southampton, England
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Ah, ok, lucky him.

15. white riot

white riot Member+

England
    Apr 27, 2005
    Southampton, England
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Well not really, it was just an observation that's all.

16. Txtriathlete

Txtriathlete Member

Aug 6, 2004
    The American Empire
    A very very broad one at that.

In any case, let me fix your post for you...

17. white riot

white riot Member+

England
    Apr 27, 2005
    Southampton, England
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Fair enough.

18. johnh00

johnh00 Member

Apr 25, 2001
    CT, USA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't see how that is relevant.
    Did you see the part of my post where I said I didn't understand the need to invent strawment rather then to respond to posts? This is what I'm talking about.
    Have I mentioned either the US or British Army? I was comparing the US Marines to the Royal Marines, and in the first line of my post acknowledged that the Royal Marines received more training.

Does no one read the posts they respond to?

Let me be clear, since everyone seems to be mis-reading what I am saying:

I am in no way impugning the Royal Marines, the British Army or the British people. They have been and continue to be better allies then we in the US could ask for.

My only point was that the behavior of some of the 15 captured military personnel was troubling, and that firsthirt's point about it was valid. I have to date only seen one post(BelgianGuy's I think it was) that even attempted to give a reasonable argument in favor of it. I don't agree with his point, but at least he was trying something other then "the US military just likes to shoot people".

19. white riot

white riot Member+

England
    Apr 27, 2005
    Southampton, England
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yeah you were, you posted the same thing in every thread on the topic, then you log off and runaway, hence my hurried reponse, missed you by about a minute with that one.

20. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fred Thompson has some excellent points about the pirate Ahmadinejad on this issue:

The Pirates of Tehran
    By Fred Thompson Posted in Foreign Affairs
    http://www.redstate.com/stories/foreign_affairs/the_pirates_of_tehran

"... The problem, as I see it, is that Ahmadinejad seems to be the happiest. And why shouldn't he be? He has shown the world that his forces can kidnap British citizens, subject them to brutal psychological tactics to coerce phony confessions, finagle the release of a high-ranking Iranian terror coordinator in Iraq, utterly trash the Geneva conventions and suffer absolutely no consequences...."

Mr. Thompson is right of course. Putting this pirate out of business seems a worthy effort for Bush; we should take the Brit hostage issue as starting point and start building up our Navy in the area. This terrorist Ahmadinejad needs to be dealt with by real men, not those that curtsy in his presence...

21. Txtriathlete

Txtriathlete Member

Aug 6, 2004
    The American Empire
    What? All that just because the man is happy?

22. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    it's relevant because they weren't prisoners of war. They were not in a battle. They had no secrets they could give away as there was no secret about what they were doing (just where). Nor could they jeopardise others, or the the plans of others by cooperating.

They would have known that being freed by military means was almost impossible, and long term incarceration was very possible.

They had a choice of being a hero and defying, and spending several years in a jail eating bugs to stay alive, or having the chance to go home, knowing full well that nobody in the west would believe the confessions genuine, and that nobody in the middle east would have believed denials anyway.

Despite all the protests about Britain "not having the balls to deal with it properly" etc, I've yet to hear a single suggestion about what Britain should have done differently, or those captured for that matter, and how those actions would have resulted in a better outcome than now.

23. Txtriathlete

Txtriathlete Member

Aug 6, 2004
    The American Empire
    Don't hold your breath.

24. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    GB handled this the best way possible. They got their people back, didn't escalate into a bigger fight, and clearly a message was sent that UK would not back down and admit something that wasn't true.

My question is, what will happen if Iran pulls this stunt again? This is the second time that Iran has grabbed UK sailors in that area.

25. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    who knows? I think the crucial thing is from now on such maneouvres won't be carried out without serious military back-up. This didn't look to be an opportunist move by the Iranians. They clearly seemed prepared and knew they could take the hostages easily.