British Gov't to lend helping hand to Serie A, La Liga, Bundesliga

Discussion in 'UEFA and Europe' started by PsychedelicCeltic, May 7, 2008.

1. PsychedelicCeltic

PsychedelicCeltic New Member

Dec 10, 2003
    San Francisco/London
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2008/may/07/immigration.immigrationpolicy

So the next Tevez, Toure, Adebayor, Nani and other South American/African monoglots? Off with ye!

New Labour is all about fairness so it's good to see them being fair by helping out the other big European leagues by proportioning to them all the poor, talented footballers who didn't grow up going to English school.

2. zippy85

zippy85 Red Card

Jul 4, 2007
    England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Wow thats ging to screw up certain transfers, especially that you need to know it before you sign and start earning, who needs that hassle, definately another huge unfair advantage for the other European leagues.

3. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    "Poor" South Americans and Africans weren't allowed a move to the premiership anyway unless they'd already forged a place in their national team. Not much has changed there, your rich clubs will do what they've been doing for years and that's form a formal or informal partnership with a continental feeder club and let players who are not immediately allowed to join them play for a continental side at first.

Besides, I dont know what it's like in other countries but in the Netherlands, all immigrants by law have to follow Dutch language, history and culture classes, preferably in their country of origin before they even move to Holland, and it's been like that for years.

4. Ian Daglers

Ian Daglers New Member

Jul 11, 2006
    Live from New York
    This is only if they're actually immigrating (as in permanently) though, right? Not to play for an Eredivisie club, study at a Dutch university, or to work as an expatriate at Shell or ING?

5. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Nani is Portugese.

Also I think that only applies to non-EU citizens. I know several people who have emmigrated to the Netherlands who - at the time- didn't speak a word of Dutch.

6. FNU

FNU BigSoccer Yellow Card

Mar 6, 2007
    Monte Vesuvio
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    We'll see if this really stands this summer, I doubt it will because there's a loophole to everything.

7. Khaloisha

Khaloisha Member

Jun 15, 2007
    Milano
    You have nothing to worry about, some Americans/Russians money from your presidents will go in favour of instructions of those talented footballers. :rolleyes:

8. zippy85

zippy85 Red Card

Jul 4, 2007
    England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    No American owner has put any money into an English club.

9. Prawn Sandwich

Oct 1, 2003
    Bhutan
    Randy Lerner

10. thepremierleague

Mar 14, 2001
    London
    Nat'l Team:
    England

All west African players can speak English or french. I dont know an African
    player in the premier league who cant speak English.

11. zippy85

zippy85 Red Card

Jul 4, 2007
    England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Manucho, when he comes?

There must be some.

12. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    You're right. Dutch clubs typically force players to learn Dutch though. Even Romario and Ronaldo learnt to speak Dutch.

13. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    You're also right.

14. thepremierleague

Mar 14, 2001
    London
    Nat'l Team:
    England

North Africans from Egypt, Morroco, Tunisia are not very common but they may have a language problem, but then Mido speaks English fine.

15. Salop

Salop New Member

Nov 11, 2006
    Shrewsbury, UK
    That's a bit of a big assumption, given that a reasonably large proportion of West Africans, ie. Angolans, Cape Verdeans, whatever you call people from Guinea-Bissau (rep if anyone can enlighten me for the "nationality" adjective in English for that country) are Lusophone. Angola is certainly becoming an emerging footballing nation with players like Manucho and Mantorras already playing for top European clubs so there's a chance that this may become an issue.

16. thepremierleague

Mar 14, 2001
    London
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I did forget a lot of Angolans speak Portugese, as someone else said above
    Manucho.

Basically most West africans speak a European Language, so Africans should not be descrimnated against more then Europeans when it comes to Language, they face the same problems as a Portugese or Spanish etc player would.

17. Mad2Ad

Mad2Ad Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Leicester, Uk
    yeah aint the whole point in the eu that u can basically go to n e country in the eu fairly easily. like when eastern european countries join the eu alot of the population comes to the uk looking for jobs.

tbh i wud think that the british gorvernment would allow sum players who earn 50,000 a week to come here and pay taxes etc.

as mentioned premier clubs aleady have a disadvantage in teh fact pof the work permit where u need to have played a percentage of matches for ur country (seems like a stupid idea to me). this might suggest that they wouldn't allow footballers in who couldn't speak english though.

18. leg_breaker

leg_breaker Member

Dec 23, 2005
    There's now way this government is going to turn down potential tax revenue. This policy is just a way to placate anti-immigration voters. You can be assured that a footballer coming in on a multi-million pound contract will not have too many problems.