Bring banners

Discussion in 'USA Men: World Cup Fans & Travel' started by Thunderpac, Jun 4, 2006.

1. Thunderpac

Thunderpac Member

Feb 16, 2000
    NE Minneapolis
    My first memory of matchday in Paris back in 1998 when we played Germany is of all the drunk Germans I saw kicking bottles and staggering outside the stadium as I approached. My second memory is of walking out to my seats and witnessing the mass unfurling of banners for teams like TSV 1860 and Schalke. I was a relative newbie back then so it was an incredible sight for me.

This time around I am bringing two banners to hang. The first is the Bruce Arena one depicted here. The second is one that we made in a garage with a canvas paint tarp, masking tape, and a couple cans of spray paint. It reads, simply, "1st Minnesota Volunteers."

This is a call to all USA fans traveling to Germany to bring banners or make some while there.

I don't know how hard it is to get materials in Germany, but the canvas and spray paint thing works well. You just spread the canvas out, mask off some letters, and spray. Stencils would also work. Figure something out. Let's do it.

2. Ultra Peanut

Ultra Peanut New Member

Jun 3, 2004
    Achewood
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. avocats

avocats Member

Nov 24, 2003
    Pacific Northwest
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Inspired by our East Coast brethren, we're picking up our first banner (4x6 SoCal Brigade) today.

Now, how do you guys get to hang them? What equipment should we bring? We've heard cable ties, duct tape, etc.

Is security a problem? Getting down to the front row, I mean.

(I guess a group of banner people entering early like in home games here is out of the question.)

Any tips appreciated.

4. joehill

joehill Member

Sep 28, 2005
    brooklyn
    Club:
    DC United
    that obey gooch one is sweet. is that one that is to the side of the ones pictured a play on the ramones logo? it looks like it - if so you should definitely bring that one!

i am wondering whether i should represent DC United with my banner i made for them:
    [​IMG]

5. Ultra Peanut

Ultra Peanut New Member

Jun 3, 2004
    Achewood
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

Ours are all hung using snaps. I sew straps to the tops of the banners before they're painted, install snaps with pliers, and then I don't have to mess around with zip ties or twine or any of that. Takes a little bit of extra time initially, but makes it so much easier to display, remove, and maintain them in the long run.

6. CrewDust

CrewDust Member

May 6, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That Obey one is awesome

7. therealjdj

therealjdj New Member

May 30, 2006

haha it is!! i wanna make one like that
    pimp!

8. Ultra Peanut

Ultra Peanut New Member

Jun 3, 2004
    Achewood
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you like the Obey banner, you'll love the stickers. ;)

9. Weber King

Weber King Member

Sep 28, 2001
    North Andover, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, no and no.

The US is playing, not DC United.

When will some DC fans realize this?

10. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ultra Peanut - my biggest failure was not getting some zaps (stickers) done. Save some for me!

BTW, I love the Shephard Farey (Obey) banner. Very nice.

11. Galaxian

Galaxian Member

Oct 30, 2005
    Newport Beach, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not going to be able to bring any banners , but I'm bringing a 6x10 USA flag to hang up , and a couple 3x5's to hang up . Our sections are going to look awesome !

12. QPR Kevin H

QPR Kevin H BigSoccer Supporter

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Yes and when will all the thousands of England, Germany and Holland fans realize that their clubs are not playing?

[​IMG]

Club AND Country

13. justscore

justscore Member

May 31, 2004
    Southlake
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My dad made me a banner to take. It has the US flag in the background and a soccer player (in black) painted on top.

14. Unorthodox Yank

Feb 27, 2001
    Constant Flux
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have a reltively small USA flag with "Kansas City" written across the middle of it, stl george's style.

I may try and make a bigger one before leaving....tomorrow.

15. QPR Kevin H

QPR Kevin H BigSoccer Supporter

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Cool as it seems, you'll probably offend quite a few people by writing on the flag. It's kind of against etiquette with our flag, unlike other countries.

16. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I bought a 3 x 5' US flag and a 3 x 5' 1st Navy Jack:

[​IMG]

17. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Just bought my 3x5 flag today. First time I've held a flag since I got out of the service!

18. Thunderpac

Thunderpac Member

Feb 16, 2000
    NE Minneapolis
    Great pics, this is going to be awesome.

Please -do- bring your club banners. The greatest thing about America is our diversity. I want to see banners for the Aurora, Illinois chapter of the Subbuteo Club of America, the Des Moines Menace Supporters, as well as the New Mexico Gecko Spotters' Club and the Alaska Inuit Snowmobiler's Association. Let's do it.

For hanging them, I think the snaps are a great idea. What I've been doing is buying packs of eyelets that you can hammer in with a ball peen hammer and then you use straps of velcro to hang them. I will be bringing a roll of velcro so I should have extra if anyone needs it. Just bring a banner. Twine also works. We'll work it out. Bring banners. Tell your friends back home to watch for your banner on TV. We will own the stadiums.

19. Thunderpac

Thunderpac Member

Feb 16, 2000
    NE Minneapolis
    Oh yeah, and flags -are- banners so bring those too. And don't worry about an image on top of the flag. I see people dragging flags on the ground all the time and bunching them up and throwing them in their trunk. You're supposed to burn them if they touch the ground and you're supposed to fold them into a triangle and so on. Someone puts an image on top of it or alters the design a little and people get all worked up. Don't get hung up on the symbolism. Bring a flag and hang it in the stadium, that's what's important.

20. Galaxian

Galaxian Member

Oct 30, 2005
    Newport Beach, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    thats what i say . my flag had to touch the ground when I was putting grommets in it , but I'm doing it for the US and out of patriotism . I think we can let it slide .

21. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    Someone must bring "Mission Accomplished" and unfurl it at half time.

22. capitalist

capitalist New Member

Nov 13, 2004
    [​IMG]

This one is cool, but missing a soccer ball :)

23. yellowbismark

yellowbismark Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Club Tijuana
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Bring it, screw the geeks who pull the 'country over club' card. And besides, it says 'United' on it. It's not like someone's going to mistake it for a Czech, Italian, or Ghanaian banner. It has to do with the US. Representing Ben Olsen. And besides all that, it looks pretty bad ass.

Country over club dorks, eat a dick.

24. Ultra Peanut

Ultra Peanut New Member

Jun 3, 2004
    Achewood
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know about anyone else who's making banners, but I'd be mighty irritated to see a banner that has ******** all to do with the national team taking up railing space that could be used to display ones that are actually meant to stand for the national team.

You want to represent for Olsen? Cool--make one with him in a national jersey. You want to represent your MLS/USL/college/AYSO/rec league side? Make a US-related one like the Sam's Army New England Brigade that's in my suitcase. All those "YOUR MOM F.C." banners from the English crowds still have the St. George as the most recognizable element, with the club name secondary. Make a US banner with whatever shoutout to whatever player or team you want, but make it US above all.

25. yellowbismark

yellowbismark Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Club Tijuana
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If finding space for all US banners were a problem, I would completely agree with you. But any banner, even if remotely related to something US-soccer wise would be preferable to nothing at all. And let's face it, as great as your banners are and some of the others ones are, we aren't exactly England or Germany when it comes to filling all the space with visuals. I highly doubt that there will be any trouble accomodating everything that needs to be put up...

What I can't stand is the high and mighty crap that some people choose to convey on here. If the guy wants to bring his United banner, let him bring it. It's a nice looking, intimidating image, and bloody hell, it's got half the name of our national team in it. So what, if the meaning's a little misplaced? No one is going to mistake it for the other team.