Brian Mullan/Steve Zakuani incident

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Black Tide, Apr 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Black Tide

Black Tide Member+

Mar 8, 2007
    the 8th Dimension
    Discuss...

So this brings up something interesting. Whilst it was not a dirty play by any means does the league punish Mullin with a multi game suspension or is it just an unfortunate accident and a one game suspension?

2. carnifex2005

carnifex2005 Member+

Jul 1, 2008
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Re: Brian Mullin just snaped steve zakuani's leg.

At least there was barely anyone there to see it.

3. radmonkey

radmonkey Member

Oct 27, 2007

I'll have to see the replays.

But after the way Carrasco went after Nyarko's leg two weeks ago, you won't see me shedding any tears for a sounder player. Live by the sword, die by the sword.

But it all comes back to the same bullshit, this league is way too physical. Refs don't call the small fouls, so then players feel like they're free to push the envelope.
    If refs called more of the small niggling fouls and then give yellows for persistent fouling. You'd see less pushing the envelope by the defenders.

4. Mario in SJ

Mario in SJ Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Announcers waiting for details. The replay clearly showed the leg broken and dangling in mid air. The announcers apparently didn't notice.
    Reminds me of Joe Thiseman years ago.

5. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Rather than interloping in Seattle's macth thread - I'll use this one to vent.

Why did FSC show 4 replays? Why did JP Dellacamera cue the viewing audience to listen to the sound of the tackle? Did no one in the booth or production van realize that Zakuani's leg was dangling? I'm hoping they were merely clueless.

6. Black Tide

Black Tide Member+

Mar 8, 2007
    the 8th Dimension

A) that is a dick thing to say.

B) It was not even that hard of a challenge it is just how they hit as Mullins was just a little late which happens. Its just that he had all of his weight on it. It is not very hard to break your fib and tib.

7. cthomer5000

cthomer5000 Member+

Apr 23, 2007
    Raleigh NC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls

It's FSC. You have your answer.

8. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

JP seemed clueless, I'm not sure how.

I posted the below in the Houston forum - and I think they need to suspend him just because the challenge was so pointless at the time and really unnecessary. That's an EPL challenge.

9. cthomer5000

cthomer5000 Member+

Apr 23, 2007
    Raleigh NC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls

On the other hand, i never understand the thought that a replay shouldn't be shown. I see no problem with showing the usual replay(s) (as FSC did) and then leaving it that.

It's not like they went into 2 minutes of non-stop replays.

10. StarvingGator

StarvingGator Member

Jun 22, 2007
    The Hospital Bar

I was watching UF @ Alabama in 2005 in a bar with a bunch of people, and Tyrone Prothro snapped his leg just above the ankle on a play. I was the only one who noticed when it was shown live, and started screaming "OH GOD! OHHHHHH NO." Everyone looked at me funny until they showed Prothro's leg in two pieces.

Prothro spent the better part of the next two years in hospitals, dealing mainly with infections. Never played again, IIRC.

Hopefully Zakuani avoids that fate. It's possible the league will see that "tackle" as retaliatory, as I think it was Mullan who thought he was fouled right before that. I don't know.

11. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I have no problem with NOT showing multiple replays of horrific stuff like that. In fact, I prefer it that way.

But not to acknowledge what was obviously a compound fracture (Theisman's leg, Krumrie's leg in Super Bowl vs. 49ers, Eduardo, etc) is an offense that merits an announcer missing a couple games. And Martino is a swell guy, but not that good of an announcer.

As for the suspensions, I'd love to see a rule where if you do a red card/leg breaker, you miss what the player you injured misses, up to the rest of the year.

12. radmonkey

radmonkey Member

Oct 27, 2007

You should read the comments sounder fans made after the game. They denied that it was dirty at all. But it was clear to anyone else, that it was a tackle that could have easily snapped the players leg. Every neutral poster on the PBP thread here, said so. Guess what? The league suspended him after it.

Is it a dick thing to say, maybe. But maybe sounder fans won't be so blase about their own defenders reckless tackles.

13. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'm not one to get squimish or anything. For me, it's a matter of decency. This is real life - and that's a young man's leg snapped in half. Is it the broadcaster's obligation to show it? I don't know. Is it a viewer's right to see it? I don't see how it is.

14. la torre

la torre Member+

Dec 27, 2008
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It looked like just an awful challenge to me, broken leg or no. Yikes. Those type of tackles are how players get seriously hurt. He was way way late, and it was retaliatory after Mullin didn't get a call he wanted. I hope he is suspended and handed a hefty fine.

15. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
  16. cthomer5000

cthomer5000 Member+

Apr 23, 2007
    Raleigh NC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls

Because as a TV viewer i'm looking to understand what's happening. If they showed no replay, half of us might have gone on watching thinking that was a terrible call.

Instead we quickly see it was a terrible call, see he's clearly injured, and move on. Seriously, if they pay no special attention to it, what is the problem?

Were people upset that they showed replays of Mac Kandji shredding his knee in the MLS Cup final?

17. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001

Punish him. For a long time. Obviously. This is the eventual outcome of the league's terrible officiating.

Hopefully Zakuani sues Mullen, if his career is shot.

18. Palace15

Palace15 New Member

Sep 17, 2010
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It was a disgraceful challenge.

Honestly, MLS needs to get rid of these old clumsy physical slow aggressive American players. Bring in some technical players to fill the wide midfield roles that players like Mullan are forced into. Let him play DM if he's going to make challenges like that. Better yet, get him out of the league. I don't know very much about the Rapids, or Brian Mullan, but that was a disgusting tackle and I hope to never see something like that this season.

This is intentionally an overreaction, but I also feel very strongly that this should not be allowed to happen in MLS. There is just no need for that kind of aggression. I'm saying this as a soccer player who has broken someone's leg in my career. It was unintentional, as I slid into the ball, took it cleanly and as the other guy was coming in, he decided to cock back and smash the ball, which he missed and hit my shin guard. His guard smashed, as did his leg partially. The point is, my tackle was under control and not reckless, while this, you could see was Mullan trying to atone for a previous mistake and went in extremely high and unnecessarily. I hate when this happens, a young star lost for at least the season courtesy of a late, shameful challenge.

19. ToledoCrew

ToledoCrew New Member

Jun 11, 2003
    Toledo

Just watched that tackle. That was so sloppy and dangerous, he should be suspended for the rest of the season.

20. bdevil02

bdevil02 Member

Aug 8, 2004
    DC

Suspend Mullen as long as Zakuani is out.

Effing disgraceful.

21. cthomer5000

cthomer5000 Member+

Apr 23, 2007
    Raleigh NC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls

Stopped reading there. Yeah, it's only our american players. :rolleyes:

22. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Were you watching? Did you need the replays to understand what happened?

23. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY

Blaming the refs for Mullan jumping into Zakuani's leg? What are you on?
    Very odd situation. Noone noticed the severity of it all. Mullan should be apologizing not keep saying 'I was going for the ball'. Of course you were going for the ball but you jumped onto his planted leg you A-hole. Then JP who is normally very professional didn't react like a normal human saying anything in concern or changing his inflection in his voice seeing a man's leg dangling. He sounded giddy like a little kid. 'Did you hear that>' You can hear his leg snapping. What? All around just not a good moment for those involved, and no its not MLS ref's problem Mullan tried to send a message and it resulted in a man's career impacted. I hope he gets suspended many many games.

24. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

No, it's the result of the league suspending guys like Clark for 13 games for a love tap on Ruiz and letting Tyrone Marshall off with one game for breaking Kenny Cooper's leg. You'll see two games for handbags stuff but nothing additional for hard challenges.

They've completely focused on the wrong points of emphasis for years.

25. Palace15

Palace15 New Member

Sep 17, 2010
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

;) That was an intentional generalization, but yes, for the majority of aggressive players in the MLS, American is an adjective which describes them well. This might be explained by the fact that MLS is an American league :D but the point still holds.

It's just my bias that when I think of older slow players, I think Americans who are leftovers from when the league wasn't as technical or skilled. There used to be some players in the MLS who just did not hold up as professional players, and I still think there are some of those in the league now.