Brian Kamler for Ian Fuller (R)

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by Allez_Zizou, Aug 18, 2002.

1. Allez_Zizou

Allez_Zizou New Member

May 24, 2002
    Metro Fan in Boston
    Excuse me. It is roughly the '74th minute, you're down a goal at home and you take out a forward and insert a midfielder seriously lacking offensive/attacking skills. Shouldn't you be pulling a defensive midfielder and inserting an attacking player instead? I totally don't understand this tactic. What about Chacon or Wolde Harris? even Rooney? I can't believe it. What the Revs subsituted is the kind of move I would have expected from the Fire, not the Rev's.

Is John Murphy ready to take over?

P.S. If I was coaching, Kamler never picks up his ass off the bench for the rest of the season after that crap that arguably seriously hurt the Revs chances.

2. fox point fury

May 19, 2001
    Providence
    Not that he's done anything of significance this season, but I would've rather seen APC come in. Rumor has it he used to score alot in a previous life.

3. goyette82

goyette82 Member

Jan 16, 2000
    Lowell, Ma
    It doesn't make sense at all. Nicol this isn;t Liverpool anymore. Take a hike and bring back a real coach like......................oh wait we never had one. All I know is Nicol needs to go and he can take Fuller, Rooney, etc with him.

4. DigitalTron

DigitalTron New Member

Apr 4, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Chacon may have helped, but Nicols will not play him until he starts defending ... which may be never.

Kamler does have one attribute that seems to be overlooked here ... he can shoot from distance with his left foot. That may have been a consideration for subbing him in. I dunno, just speculating.

-Tron

5. biggyv

biggyv Member

May 18, 2000
    PGH PA
    In the final 15 minutes, you need a goal. APC may not be much of a defender, but he obviously has more of a propensity to put the ball in the net. To bring in Kamler and move Griffiths (who played well IMHO) up front made zero sense.

6. Popero

Popero Member

Jul 5, 2002
    CT
    Kamler's best attribute--being able to get tossed from a match after only playing but a few minutes--will provide the Revs with serious help in the future.

7. soccertim

soccertim Member

Mar 29, 2001
    Mass
    I thought it was a pretty smart move. When you're down a goal late in the game do you just churn your wheels and sub in Wolde or APC for Fuller (who was woefully ineffective tonight)? Do you sub APC in for Cullen or Hernandez, both of whom played reasonably well, and give up on midfield posession? We've seen these moves before, and they don't work. Griffiths looks more likely to score than either Harris or Chacon. At least he takes on defenders and shoots the ball (although not on target). Also, out of all of the people on the bench, Kamler probably plays his position best.

8. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Glad to see that I, as an impartial observer thanking God for Sunday night MLS Shootout games :D, was not the only one wondering why that switch was made.

Maybe Steve is dyslexic and read the scoreboard wrong.

9. goyette82

goyette82 Member

Jan 16, 2000
    Lowell, Ma
    I think you may just be onto something!

10. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    The substitution was basically replacing one forward with another. Fuller came out for Kamler, but really Griffith moved up to forward and Kamler filled Griffith's spot.

Chacon would have been the least likely one to score in that game IMO.

11. Allez_Zizou

Allez_Zizou New Member

May 24, 2002
    Metro Fan in Boston
    In my understanding Griffiths has never been considered a forward. He doesn't play as a striker for Jamaica, and he didn't play as a forward for the Metrostars or Dallas(?)--or whomever else he's played with.

12. soccertim

soccertim Member

Mar 29, 2001
    Mass
    APC and Wolde, in approximately 19 full games (combined) have scored a grand total of 3 goals, and people are Jumping all over Nicol for trying someone else? Leo Cullen or Jay Heaps are almost as likely to score as one of those two if you move them up to forward (and please, no own goal jokes).

13. Fiero20

Fiero20 Member

Aug 3, 2002
    Gillette Stadium
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's LA.

Cheers,
    ____Fiero___

14. ftballer

ftballer New Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Boston, Mass
    anytime one takes out fuller, it's a good move. he's an a-league player. Winston is no doubt a better player, even at the forward postition.