Breakout Youth Player in MLS/USL 2024 edition

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Eleven Bravo, Nov 9, 2023.

1. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
  2. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder who is most interesting from this MLS SuperDraft? It’s so hard to tell. It’s difficult to even get basic information about a player: position, stats, etc. Meanwhile, stats in college rarely translate to MLS (or higher) success. Total crap shoot. And sometimes, players will get moved all over the field in order to meet a certain club’s needs. But hopefully we get a couple nice surprises next year.

Jacob Murrell (FW, DC United), Nate Jones (CB, Austin), Bryan Dowd (GK, Chicago), Logan Farrington (FW, Dallas), Malachi Jones (FW, NYCFC), Grayson Doody (DF, CF Montreal), Wyatt Meyer (DF, Nashville), Aidan O’Connor (DF, NYRB), Jayden Hibbert (GK, Atlanta), Kevin Bonilla (DF, RSL), and Jamar Ricketts (DF, San Jose) are your Americans in the top 20.

Anyone outside of the top 15, well, that would be a complete shock if any of these guys end up to be professionals. It’ll be interesting to follow.

gogorath repped this.
  4. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Except for keepers and strikers.

5. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He was traded to DC United today!

gomichigan24 and TheHoustonHoyaFan repped this.
  6. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    #81 Clint Eastwood, Dec 20, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2023
    Its weird how many of these kids were at other MLS academies. I don't know if their affiliated club just didn't want them or what? Like Kevin Bonilla. He was at the FCD academy for 10 years. 2010-2020. BUt FCD didn't sign him to a HG contract. He went in the first round to RSL.

Every draft there some lower draft pick that sticks around and makes it. And it's hard to know.................why that guy and nobody else? Like Jackson Ragen from the 2023 draft. Doing well enough that people are whispering his name for January camp.

Dallas traded up to take this '01 forward Logan Farrington at #3. First US-eligible player taken.

I think everybody had the same thought at the same time. Could this be the "next Duncan McGuire?"

FCD has no reliable forwards after Ferreira, and maybe Ferreira gets sold.
    So at the very least there's an opportunity for this kid to make the roster. And with draft picks these days, that's as much as you can hope for.

Eleven Bravo repped this.
  7. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    These days I think we also look at the top keepers taken.
    There are quite a number of recent "hits" there. Celentano, Schulte, etc.

First keeper taken was Bryan Dowd at #6 overall.

Spent time at the Chicago Fire academy. Picked at #6 overall...............by the Chicago Fire.

Is drafting him so high a sign that Chris Brady might be out the door? They must be planning for it.

He's a kicker on the Notre Dame football team, and was watching the draft with Notre Dame special teams players.

gomichigan24 and Eleven Bravo repped this.
  8. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    It seems Dike and McGuire have influenced drafting strategy. Both Farrington and Murrell are in that mold. To some extent so is Spicer.

TrueCrew repped this.
  9. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    There are three positions we can point to in terms of recent draft successes.
    GK, #9, CB.

Kind of the late-developing positions. .

Look at the 2020 draft. Not many first round successes. But Dike, Henry Kessler, Nkosi Tafari, etc............................starting caliber players in the league.

Jon Bell had success in the league.

Some fullbacks break thru the draft like DeJuan Jones.

You're not likely to find a domestic Clint Dempsey in the draft any longer.

You can look at 2023 January camp. How many of the midfielders and forwards were drafted? Like...........one? Eryk Williamson?

10. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Yeah I would hoping Bender would be an exception.

11. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Boo. I hate that trade. DC United has some older center backs but they have also had a logjam there too, which has blocked Matai Akinmboni from playing. Meanwhile, I don’t know if it’s too soon for Noah Cobb to replace Miles Robinson, who seems to be out the door. And I hope that Atlanta doesn’t replace a USMNT player with another lukewarm, uninteresting nobody from somewhere in Latin America.

Winoman repped this.
  12. Yowza

Yowza Member+

DC United
    United States
    Oct 23, 2019
    Arlington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Williamson signed an HG contract with DC and then was traded to Portland for an international slot (sigh DC FO but I digress).
    To your point, the draft seems dead as disco. Last year’s first round is a who’s who of who’s that?

Clint Eastwood and Winoman repped this.
  13. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we could get one or two decent 2001 or younger starting center backs this year in the draft; that would be a home run. Everything else would be gravy.

14. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    w/o knowing anything about the individuals, my money is on the GK's. Keeper seems to be the position where college players can find a path to PT in MLS.

Winoman and Eleven Bravo repped this.
  15. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Pines and Williams are free agents and Hines-Ike's option was declined. Too soon to say what is up but bringing in Bartlett and now Tubbs seems to show that at most only one of Pines or Williams will be brought back. Currently, they have Birnbaum and four rookie CBs including Akinmboni.

Winoman and Eleven Bravo repped this.
  16. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    I'm a Georgetown guy and Murrell was hyped before the season as the next McGuire, but he really didn't have that kind of year.

I don't watch a ton of college outside of the Hoyas, but if I had to make a wild guess ... would it shock anyone if Hibbert beat out Cohen by 2025? Celentano, Schulte ... college keepers seem to be a good bet.

gomichigan24 and Eleven Bravo repped this.
  17. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's maybe the one position where playing tie as a young pro is so hard to get that college is definite option or even improvement.

18. Calling BS

Calling BS Member+

Orlando City
    United States
    Jan 25, 2020
    Chris Muller. I know we drafted him and he played in a Dec/Jan camp

19. Calling BS

Calling BS Member+

Orlando City
    United States
    Jan 25, 2020
    Now that I think about it Richie Laraya was also drafted as a midfielder. So we,OC, have drafted at least two mids that reached that level.

20. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, he didn't. He was much better than McGuire. At the same age as Murrell, McGuire posted 3 goals and 4 assists. Murrell had 11 goals and 4 assists. So he's well ahead of McGuire's trajectory. He may well not enjoy the same improvement, but he's off to a better start. Age is a huge factor for CF's due to the benefit of strength, savvy, & confidence. These aren't wings.

Incidentally, I'm a Milwaukee guy, and I've never heard of the top American drafted, Farrington. He looks like he's in the mold of a CJ Fodrey from last year or Corey Baird. Multi-skilled, well-rounded guys, but not super productive outside 1 year, and kind of tweeners. From my superficial knowledge of what pans out, I'd bank more on that a guy like Murrell w/ a clear role when he fills out, becomes the next McGuire w/ maturation.

From our standpoint Murrell's probably more one to watch. But again, I'm working off bits of info, and never having seen either in a full game. So we'll find out come March. I'll definitely be rooting for and following Farrington if he shows something early.

21. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FCD seems to like either tweezers at CF or more traditional ones who are the slowest players in the league.

thedukeofsoccer repped this.
  22. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Duncan scored 23 goals in 24 games in his final season at Creighton. Murrell may be younger, but that doesn't mean he is going to make a leap like McGuire did. Maybe he will, but he clearly wasn't dominant like McGuire.

I have no opinions on Farrington at all.

23. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    It's irrelevant. 19 yo McGuire turning into 21 yo McGuire is a major surprise. There were hundreds of better prospects than 19 yo McGuire that didn't even reach MLS level.

24. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    #99 Clint Eastwood, Dec 21, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2023
    Ironically.....................Chicago traded their 2023 first round pick for the rights to Chris Mueller to Orlando (along with allocation money).

That picked ended up being #6 overall, and Orlando picked Ducan McGuire.

I mean, Duncan McGuire was the first American taken in the 2023 draft.
    He wasn't some "out of nowhere" player.

First two Americans taken in 2022? Ben Bender and Roman Celentano.

There's at least recent history of value at the very top of the draft with USMNT-eligible guys.

First American taken in this draft is Logan Farrington. Very much in line with a couple of recent hits in the draft. Second was the CB Nate Jones that people seem to really like. He went to Austin, who do have some aging CBs. Matt Hedges, etc. Third was the Goalkeeper above from Chicago. Is Chris Brady leaving? We've heard rumors about.

Again.................#9, CB, GK.

There is potential value in those types of positions.

I look at all three of those selections and see opportunity. That seems to be the biggest factor of all. Is there an opportunity for the kid in his position? Also, a coaching staff willing to give younger kids a shot. Oscar Pareja in Orlando has proven that in Colorado and Dallas. Now in Orlando. He has quite a track record in that regard. I'd want to be drafted to play in Orlando. When he was in Dallas, Oscar Pareja led MLS in most homegrown minutes and most minutes to drafted players. I'd want to be drafted to play in Dallas too. Dallas has a long history of getting contributors in the draft. Maybe better than any other club. It woud be interesting to see which clubs have the most future MLS appearances from guys they drafted (not necessarily their own team). But Dallas has had great success. New England historically. Great success in the draft. Over and over again. I'd want to get drafted by New England, cuz you know you'll get a chance at least. I bet NYRB/Metrostars would rack up appearances. Not as much recently, but they were very good in the draft for years. Brad Davis, Ricardo Clark, etc. Not guys we necessarily think of with NY first.

I was talking to somebody the other day about the teams with the worst draft record. I had nowhere to start. He suggested Vancouver. Then I looked at their draft history. Ouch. Not enough good contributors for a team that's been around a good period of time now. Folks forget................Tim Parker. Tim Parker must be their best draft pick, and nobody really associates Tim Parker with Vancouver.

25. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    #100 Clint Eastwood, Dec 21, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2023
    I'll just add....................the draft always was a crap shoot.

We have this feeling that in the past first overall draft picks were stars. THe first seven 1st overall picks were all duds or kinda duds. I would say new fans don't have a clue who these guys even are. Matt McKeon, Taj Jenkins, Leo Cullen, Jason Moore, Steve Shak, Chris Carrieri, Chris Gbandi. There's some decent enough players there. Gbandi played a lot of games for Dallas. Matt McKeon got some caps. But no stars.

When you look at 1st overall picks, who is the FIRST GUY that ended up playing in a "top 5 league?" Its Freddy Adu and his cup of coffee at Monaco. Then its Maurice Edu in 2007, who appeared in one Premier League game for Stoke. He played 10 minutes against Liverpool at Anfield. [That's like pitching only inning in your baseball career, but it being the 9th inning at Fenway. You'll take it.] Both of those were cups of coffee, so then you get to Cyle Larin (now at Mallorca) in 2015 and Jack Harrison (now at Everton) in 2016. After those two you go back into the dumpster fire. Abu Dunladi in 2017, who is now a bench player in Albania.

You look thru the list of first overall picks and there's a lot of shrapnel in there.
    Every No. 1 overall pick in MLS SuperDraft history | MLSSoccer.com

Winoman and Yowza repped this.