Breakout Youth Player in MLS/USL 2023 edition

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Eleven Bravo, Dec 17, 2022.

1. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    I think the academies find families who host their academy players. It's a common arrangement.

Winoman, Pegasus, jaykoz3 and 1 other person repped this.
  2. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fair enough. That doesn't change my perspective (and I agree with @Eleven Bravo here) that he's still only 13 years old and he AND his parents might not feel comfortable/safe doing that. Do you remember life in middle school?

Bajoro, Winoman, gomichigan24 and 2 others repped this.
  3. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    If I remember correctly, Sacramento is just outside of SJ's territory. I think........................

Like most MLS academies that aren't fully residential...............FCD kids can stay with host families. That's what Pepi did.

I'm OK with a 13 year old not moving across the country.

...................there's also zero reason for a 13 year old to sign a contract with a club. They could have not signed a contract, continued to have him train at Sacramento for a few years, and THEN make a decision.

That tells me they're ALREADY taking this seriously as a career path. So don't tell me its too early to take this seriously and not move to NYRB or Philly or a different academy. Signing a contract tells me he and his family are taking this seriously.

I also have no clue how good the player is as a prospect. I've never seen him. Maybe USL is the right level.

4. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’ll add to this much that there would be a less than 0% chance that I would let my THIRTEEN year old child live away from home. No way. There is no way on God’s green earth that I would ever be okay with that. I wouldn’t even let my 13 year old live with another family member at that age. There is NO possible way that I would be okay with that. And I’m scratching my head, to why, some parents could even fathom that as an idea.

5. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would you be okay with that? With your child?

6. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If someone even approached me when my daughter was 13 for her to live out of my home… I think all I could have responded with, that’s adorable that you even think I would have even considered that.

How many of y’all have had children? There’s some things that trumps sports. And number one on that list would be my kid’s safety and their physical and psychological well being and development.

To think, this is a good way to improve the sport in the country - for parents just to be okay with foregoing parenting their child - is just so far beyond asinine that I honestly think it’s the dumbest suggestion I’ve seen on BigSoccer in nearly 20 years of being on this forum.

7. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone know if Sac Republics Academy is fully funded or if it's pay to play? By signing a contract, the club is committing to the player, and providing training at no cost to the family. With the added benefit of the Club paying the player to be there.

If Sacramento was going to have the player on scholarship (if pay to play), and they are confident that the player is going to reach their potential, one can see why they felt the need to sign him to a contract at such a young age. Sac Republic's Academy team plays in MLS Next, which "exposes" their players to MLS scouts, and Kimbrough has garnered the interest of Red Bulls and the Earthquakes thus far. Sacramento Republic is simply protecting their investment in this player. Why settle for training comp scraps when you could possibly get a transfer fee and sell on % down the road?

Now, Sac Republic making a big deal about the signing? That could be just them keeping their name out there for MLS HQ. Demonstrating that they have most of the attributes to be a future MLS Expansion Team. Especially in the wake of the San Diego MLS team announcement.

gomichigan24 repped this.
  8. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Indeed not everyone is ready for that at 13 and there’s nothing wrong with that or really any way indicative of their future prospects.

9. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And I don’t know that they are necessarily getting paid a ton once they do go to Europe. I think what MLS is offering is extremely competitive with whatever they get in Europe. Though I think someone like Cavan Sullivan is probably the exception as I’m sure a Dortmund is probably making him a financial offer that’s much higher then other young Americans who are going over would get.

10. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think more broadly the developmental years those players are spending in USL are super important years for any player developmentally and at this current you’d be better off in the long run spending them with an MLS team (unless your locked into a team via homegrown territories who isn’t super interested in their academy). Longer term maybe that changes as USL continues to evolve and improve.

11. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m sure most these players are also super confident in their own ability. You have to be to make it at the highest level. So of course they back themselves to make it in Europe.

jaykoz3 repped this.
  12. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be fair on Mount Chelsea very much wanted to resign him but he refused to do so and they had no choice but to sell him.

Watching Pulisic with some of the other ex-Chelsea guys at AC Milan, I get the sense that the last few years at Chelsea was a very toxic environment and guys like Mount and Pulisic are very happy to be out of it.

Bajoro, Winoman and Pegasus repped this.
  13. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    It's the same point -- a few years ago the idea of Mount not being a Chelsea player for any reason was pretty much unthinkable. Now he's not.

Players look at these depth charts and think nothing will change, but soccer seems to change more rapidly than most sports.

14. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think with both the Rapids and San Jose it’s not terrible because they don’t spend big there’s tons of opportunities for young players to play for the first team. And the Rapids in particular have been very willing to move guys on to Europe.

The places to avoid are teams like Portland who don’t really have much interest in playing or integrating homegrown players.

gogorath repped this.
  15. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Host families are not uncommon in elite sport and in exchange programs. And, of course, there's boarding school.

16. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I get it. Happens all the time, though.

Its like all the young tennis players going to the academies in Bradenton, Florida. Bolletieri Tennis academy and whatnot. All the different sports that are at the IMG academy in Florida. Kids move all over the country at young ages to play there. Female gymnasts that go to elite academies at a very young age.

Its not for everyone. If you want a life outside of that sport, its not for you. But plenty of kids and families do it.

So yes, Ricardo Pepi moved from El Paso to FC Dallas' academy in Frisco to start in their U13 team. We don't think twice about it, but he did it. That's much farther away than people realize. Its a 9 hour drive in good traffic. Would I as a parent have done that? No, but they did.

dark knight, jaykoz3 and Pegasus repped this.
  17. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    San Jose has a coach with a proven track record of playing very young players and have had several go to Europe on big contracts. Not sure the reasoning on not trying to go there.

18. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Busio lived with hosting family.

19. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    I was in that situation, my reaction was exactly like yours, the same from my girl. I know those who moved with or without families. Results vary: big upside (Olympic team, choice of Ivy league schools), huge downside. Really depends on the kid, families and luck. If I had a mature boy I might have made different decision.

Eleven Bravo repped this.
  20. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Bradenton of course did this on scale. Soccer, tennis and other sports.

In other fields young prodigies go off for extended periods of special instruction.

21. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    It all depends on one's situation.

22. la torre

la torre Member+

Dec 27, 2008
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it depends on circumstances. People ship their kids to boarding schools all the time at that age on the east coast. Would I send my kids away at that age? Absolutely not. But I had plenty of friends in high school who were living at the school 5 or 7 days a week starting as a freshman or sophomore (though most of them hated it to be fair).

We had some boarding students from the Bronx and rougher areas of Boston at my high school. For them, the chance to attend a prep school was a life changing opportunity. If I was in that situation, I'd probably consider it.

23. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds like a good way for your kid to end up being sex trafficked, on drugs, in trouble, or just overall not on the right track without any parental support to help guide you along the way. There a lot of people who do a lot of messed up things. Doesn’t make it right. Seems like it borders on neglect to me. And at least, these are parenting years and life lessons that a parent is never going to get back.

At the end of the day, it’s not my kid. I’m sure some parents would okay it. Sort of like some parents will buy their kids alcohol and all other sorts of things. But in the same breath, this should NOT be the expectation that as a “soccer nation” we are expecting parents to be okay with giving up their kids when they’ve barely hit puberty and barely don’t believe in Santa Clause anymore in order for them to reach their potential. Any parent who would okay that should be considered an exception, not the standard.

Instead, it would be better to invest more in the coaching and development of premier youth clubs around the country, and it should be part of the deal, to enter into MLS and/or USL, you need to promote the hell out of your youth infrastructure….in ways that the average parent might buy into it.

24. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's why you see many kids of rich parents ie Hollywood celebrities, moguls, politicians etc in a lot of trouble throughout heir lives.

Eleven Bravo repped this.
  25. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    They do better on life metrics than the rest of the population Don't kid yourself over a few high profile cases.

dark knight repped this.