Breaking the stereotype: US Athleticism

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Nutmeg, Jul 13, 2005.

1. datdood

datdood New Member

Nov 6, 2004
    Melbourne

That's Brad Wilkerson, by the way. And I can attest first hand how Title IX has diminished D-1 soccer in FL. I played club ball at UF and most of our players were offered at many D-1 and top D-2 programs. We had a side that regularly handled NCAA programs, in exhibitions/friendlies, of course. Not top teams, but teams giving scholarships to players at least. I, like a lot of others with the club, love Gainesville and couldn't pass on the experience and education UF offers.

I have no doubt, if the funding were right (we've been trying for years), that a men's program at UF could regularly compete on a national level. The estimates to start the program have been pegged at around $5 million. Factor in Title IX, and that figure doubles. "Ten million dollars for a soccer team? Hell no!" Blah, blah, blah...

And I'm not just talking about FL guys staying at home to play (I guess there's always USF, FIU, and UCF, but come on--no one wants to go to those schools). The top players in the country, too. It's the same schtick as Football and Basketball recruiting. "So, where do you want to be for the next four years? Have a look at Gainesville. Great weather, better women, a premium degree, the ocean just a short drive away, etc."

Title IX has good intentions, but in FL, soccer suffers because of it.

2. bltleo

bltleo Member+

Jan 5, 2003
    GERMANY
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

Hello teacher:)....I also think that we can not evaluate USMNT
    only based on "gold cup"...I really don´t think it is extra important cup...
    and many players - as you said were injured and did not play...
    the best is always to watch USA playing against strong countries..
    in friendly games....World Cup etc......just my opinion...

bltleo

3. macheath

macheath New Member

Jul 8, 2005
    DC
    Title IX isn't hurting men's soccer. What hurts men's sports is American football. It sucks up huge numbers of scholarships (60 or so at NCAA schools), and then to provide equity, other men's sports get squeezed. Don't blame the sisters--its the American gladiator complex that hurts other men's sports.

4. bltleo

bltleo Member+

Jan 5, 2003
    GERMANY
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    hello......I appreciate your comments here...I agree on this with you
    the biggest rival:) for soccer is american football..they steal
    all the best and biggest guyes...it is money...american football is your
    number 1 sport.....so if you want to earn a lot of money, you would
    play american footbal in America...if you are European, you would play
    soccer......
    I found it funny your expression: american gladiator complex:)

bltleo
    germany

5. datdood

datdood New Member

Nov 6, 2004
    Melbourne
    As noted before, this shouldn't turn into a discussion on Title IX. I will say, you are right and wrong. I don't blame the sisters, just the politicians and administrators. They use the profit-equity argument to squeeze out men's sports in favor of football and basketball (the money makers), but Title IX forces them to avoid the same logic with women's athletics (not money makers). Men's soccer doesn't have this free pass, and that's why Title IX hurts men's soccer (or any other men's sport that doesn't drive revenue). No complex here. Is there a better way? I don't know, maybe another thread...

6. datdood

datdood New Member

Nov 6, 2004
    Melbourne
    To get back on topic...

If football players are so damn athletic, then why can't they kick a ball? These huge, gladiator-types rely on a little dude with a soccer shoe to win games at the buzzer. I think it's hysterical, really. Some athlete. Can't even kick a ball 20 yards in the air! HA HA!

7. Craig P

Craig P BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 26, 1999
    Eastern MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His comment is more specific than that. He was specifically addressing university sports programs. Gender equity is required (for various reasons related to a law called Title IX); American football takes up 85 scholarships with no female equivalent to balance the books.

8. bltleo

bltleo Member+

Jan 5, 2003
    GERMANY
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

good question....it would be funny to watch the game
    Super stars from American football against super star from
    American soccer....kicking ball....
    good idea!
    ARENA!...please think about it:)

your bltleo

9. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
    personally, 75% of really good players are indentified by the time they finish high school and going right to the pros instead of college means they get pro training all that more readily...

sure, the late bloomers can go to college, and then emerge as high quality players after they turn 20...

as to soccer in inner cities, rarely are resources abundant enough to provide adequate coaching, or even facilities.....

the game is a suburban game, and that's not gonna change very soon....

as to basketball...go to new york city or chicago or philadelphia or any big city....

christ in philly, this summer one kid signed with north carolina, another with duke, two with villanova, and another with st joe....

they were trying to do a fab 5 michigan thing, but couldn't pull it together picking a single school who wanted all 5....

the kid who'll go to north carolina is favorably compared to kobe bryant...kids name is ellington....

10. JRNoblin

JRNoblin Member

Jun 29, 2000
    Los Angeles, CA
    Here in California, soccer is a winter sport. I know that wouldn't work in some parts of the country, but it might be a good answer in the South as well. The high school soccer teams regularly get guys off the football team (especially defensive backs, receivers, and running backs) when that season ends. Of course, playing in winter puts soccer in direct competition with basketball, but you have to go up against something. At least in Southern California, we probably lose fewer top notch soccer players to basketball than we would to football or baseball, so winter is the best way to go here.

11. DrBobC

DrBobC Member

Feb 28, 2004
    Burton upon Trent
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think there is some confusion on these boards in terms of attracting "athletes" to soccer. I don't think it's a matter of attracting the star running back or the star basketball player. "Athleticism" in one sport doesn't necessarilly translate to another sport. Soccer takes specific skill sets, american football has certain skill sets as well as basketball etc. What happens is you have certain players who are "built" to play soccer decide to go out for the high school football team and end up being a marginal player or ride the bench for 4 years. I myself decided I wanted to play football in junior high. I had moderate success but, decided I wanted to play soccer in high school which was a better match.

12. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Not always, no.

Instead of playing the what if Allen Iverson grew up in Brazil game, let's play the opposite game. What would the Brazilian stars have played in U.S. had they grown up here -

Ronaldo - Football. 6' tall, strongly built, and before knee injury lightning fast.
    Adriano - Football.
    Kaka - Hoops, tennis, point guard? 5' 11" and agile as hell.
    Robinho - Tiny point guard? Gymnastics? You got me ..
    Roberto Carlos - Mini-mite cornerback, I figure.
    Ronaldinho - I dunno. Good height, good strength, fast but not blazing, unbelievable agility/coordination. Something.

At any rate, the point I'm trying to make is that while these guys might not athlete in the sense that we classically think of in the U.S. -- running back, guy who dunks -- they certainly would have been a star at some form of athletics. I think it would be hard to be a top soccer player if you couldn't also have been really, really good at another sport, as well.

13. mtr8967

mtr8967 New Member

Aug 15, 2003

How tall is Ronaldinho? Sounds like a shooting guard if he isn't too short. Maybe a posession WR. Some of these guys would be in the NHL. Think of the loss to Brazilian hockey! :)

14. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Ching is far more athletic than Casey on the basic size-speed scale but the real problem with Casey is that he doesn't have the "MLS screwed up my skills" excuse.

He's in a league that's supposed to be one of the tops but I actually think he is getting worse at Mainz. His touch has gone to craps and he is lead footed around the penalty box.

German soccer has problems but the national team is #9 ELo and has gained over 70 standing points in one year under Jürgen Klinsmann and their young players like Podolski, Deisler, Schweinsteiger, Hanke, Mertesacker, Kuranyi are looking pretty darn good.

But the national side could surely use some skilled mids from the yesteryear.

Still, they scored 15 goals in 5 games against the top quality competition, so Klinsi and his staff must be doing something right, given their limitations.

I am not sure Bruce is. He seems to be closer to Rudi Völler, who kept trotting out old horses with not so stellar results.

15. Beast_Ed

Beast_Ed Member

Jul 15, 2003
    Boston MetroWest
    If Ronaldinho was born in Kentucky, I think he would have grown up to be an outstanding race car driver. And if he chose F1 vs Nascar, they would still love him in Brazil afterall.

Beast

-
    *Complete the SOCCER SURVEY*
    https://www.quickbase.com/db/baqwa3ay6?a=nwr

16. auf Amerika

auf Amerika Member

Jul 11, 2004

you misunderstand. more nfl players come from mississippi and louisiana per capita, which means as a percentage of their state's population compared to other states populations (small states always come out on top this way). 37% of Mississippi is African-American which is the highest percentage of any state. Louisiana is second at 34 or 35 percent.

I didn't say most NFL players come from Mississippi or Louisiana. Most come from these states per capita, i.e., as a percentage of the population. Please read what people write.

What this means is a disproportionate of NFL players come from Mississippi and Louisiana compared to other states and it is presumably because of the larger black populations relative to the size of the state as a whole.

Look up that stats at www.nfl.com i guess. I read in usa today last year.

17. auf Amerika

auf Amerika Member

Jul 11, 2004

you really must not understand american sports. americans don't play games with their feet, they play games with their hands. if they don't play games with their feet, why would they know how to kick a ball?

americans don't play soccer like they play football (a game of throwing and catching or holding on to a ball), basketball (a game where it is illegal to use your feet), and baseball (which is another pitch and catch game).

golfers don't even kick a ball.

think next time.

18. auf Amerika

auf Amerika Member

Jul 11, 2004
    soccer is a winter sport in texas and louisiana, so it doesn't really conflict with football. the day after our state semi-final football game in november we had our first soccer game.

soccer just isn't totally part of american culture yet.

19. RevsRule

RevsRule Member+

NE Revs, LAFC
    Jun 9, 1999
    N. Eastern, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would that come from running moonshine? :D

20. RevsRule

RevsRule Member+

NE Revs, LAFC
    Jun 9, 1999
    N. Eastern, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think many are missing a key point on the issue of football vs soccer and HS players. It's not the big guys playing football that are the issue, it's the others. The big guys are not really suited for a running sport anyway. There are many, many other great athletes that choose football over soccer, even though they're really too small to go anywhere in football. I've seen it many times in my kid's school system. The most of the absolute best soccer players in the town go to football in about the 8th grade, even though they might be 5'8"' (160 lbs) to maybe 6'2" (180 lbs). In other words, prime soccer size. They continue to play on town or club teams but in school, it's football. I think the draw is because football is a glory sport. You have the fans, the band, and get a lot of local attention and that's what sucks them in. Most of these guys can not play football beyond HS because they're too small.

21. datdood

datdood New Member

Nov 6, 2004
    Melbourne
    Now that I've thought about it (thanks for the advice), I can throw and catch. Am I great athlete? No. If I were a great athlete, I'd be a pro. I just think its funny how American football players (refered to as great athletes, even on these boards) can't kick a ball. They have to rely on little dude in the copa shoe to win games. Frustating as hell for supposed "great athlete," no?

Anyway, it's just a talking point. Settle down up there on your horse.

22. datdood

datdood New Member

Nov 6, 2004
    Melbourne
    Get outta town! Surely ye jest!

23. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    About as frustrating as not being able to fit into those sequined ice skating outfits.

24. datdood

datdood New Member

Nov 6, 2004
    Melbourne
    Are you drawing a similarity between the American footballers perception of kickers and the more general perception of male ice skaters? If so, I revise my previous post:

"...I just think its funny how American football players (refered to as great athletes, even on these boards) can't kick a ball. They have to rely on the ice skater to win games. Frustating as hell for supposed "great athlete," no?"

Still funny.

25. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Yup. And ballerinas & Village People & hairdressers & flight attendants. Not that there's anything wrong with being a flight attendant; my cousin is one. As is his boyfriend.