Breaking Hag - The Erik ten Hag Thread

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Sofabloke, Apr 21, 2022.

1. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Why do you guys take these comments so seriously? Outside of maybe Jose, a lot of coaches don't say much in the interviews.

SF19 and benni... repped this.
  2. thefly

thefly Member

Aug 9, 2007
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Even Jose would tell his players one thing and tell them also that he would tell the media another.

i certainty don’t think ETH is applauding the players and telling them great job

3. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    José had a lot more credit and gravitas. his predicament wasn't this bad either.

the irony for me is the "bigger picture" probably doesn't involve him. no positives to speak of and the few backers he has left must be hoping for an Arteta-esque turnaround from an even lower starting point.

at least he won a trophy but at the cost of a huge hit to his reputation

SF19 repped this.
  4. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Arteta finished 8th, 8th, 5th before starting to find success with Arsenal.

Klopp finished 8th, 4th, 4th (and was 5th last season so missed CL).

Pretty sure they would have come up with some bs to the press after defeats during those years.

Is just how it is - managers have to stay positive in front of the press.

SF19, thefly and Deadtigers repped this.
  5. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    A lot of discussion about us on MNF. They basically slaughtered our defensive setup and pressing. Highlighting the issues from pressing high when in a deep block;

- huge gaps in the middle
    - simple passes take out large numbers of our players
    - FBs and midfielders having to constantly sprint the length if the pitch as teams break (and what that means for injuries)
    - basically how broken things are without pace in our CBs and without legs in midfield
    etc.

SF19 repped this.
  6. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Red Card

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I saw somewhere that were averaging 16 shots conceded per game. Thats only better than WH, Luton, and Sheffield. It seems clear that ETH is willing to play open if it means we have more numbers committed early in the counter. Problem is, we sucked at counter attacking so the trade off isn’t working.

I said I would give ETH until end of the season to turn things around but it ain’t looking good. If he finishes like we’re currently going, he deserves the sack even though the team will have quit on him like they did Ole, Jose, LVG, and every other manager post Fergie. They don’t work and don’t follow managers instructions. It’s obvious. I highly doubt every single post SAF manager has told the players to be static, get outworked, not do basic things, and show zero heart.

7. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    I think he may get a prove it year with a proper admin in place. Like give him all the tools one season and see what happens.

8. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Red Card

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    It’s going to take more than a year to get our structure setup and start seeing meaningful changes. While o think our spending will be smarter this summer, it’s not going to fix everything.

9. thefly

thefly Member

Aug 9, 2007
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Agreed, but I am with @Deadtigers on this - the comments from Ratcliff was that all of these managers likely failed due to the environment. I don't see anyone available (or soon to be available) that would be automatically better than ETH and having at least 1 season under their assessment would seem to be more prudent

Deadtigers and Sofabloke repped this.
  10. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Agree with you guys above, not sold on any of the alternatives either and think EtH should be given longer despite his mistakes this season (of which there have been many).

However also think Gaz Nev is right in that if SJR / SDB are going to change manager they will need to get one of the replacements lined up sooner rather than later - given how many other clubs looking for a manager.

So if there is to be a change then suspect we may get wind of it before season ends eg April / May unless they are good at keeping it under wraps :)

thefly and Deadtigers repped this.
  11. Chaz Striker

Chaz Striker Member+

Jul 26, 2005
    Denver
    What everyone is really agreeing to, is how sad it is that it doesn't really matter either way, new manager or ETH.

benni... and Deadtigers repped this.
  12. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Red Card

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Right on cue, reports coming out that players are mad that ETH made them come in for warm down and video analysis on Sunday after the Fulham game. They wanted to the day off.

But yeah, these players are supposedly giving 100% and not quitting on the manager.

CybrSlydr, Deadtigers and benni... repped this.
  13. Chaz Striker

Chaz Striker Member+

Jul 26, 2005
    Denver
    Who said they were?

14. JC7rox

JC7rox Member+

Manchester United FC, LAFC
    Jun 11, 2004
    West Coast, Cali!
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I want to give EtH the benefit of the doubt in relation to some things (wanting to ship Maguire/McT, making Maguire 4th choice, etc.) but have had a hard time due to things like Antony. But, for me, it’s not a case of no one better out there. Let the new team clear out the trash (as rumored) and give this guy a chance with a properly curated squad. Then there will be no excuses.

Plus, if the rumors are true, SJR needs to get immediate results as well. Hopefully we get that glut that has been necessary for years now.

Deadtigers and thefly repped this.
  15. Chaz Striker

Chaz Striker Member+

Jul 26, 2005
    Denver
    It's all been covered before, but what it comes down to for me is his inability to make due with what he has. I'm not sure why that would change by next August. I'm just not sure we can replace him with anyone worth a shit.

benni..., Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10 and SF19 repped this.
  16. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Maybe I'm in the minority, but I happen to think Tuchel is significantly better than EtH. And, he's available.

17. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    We can blame poor performance by players, injuries, and the lack of good moves in the summer. However, despite massively overpaying, there is still a decent, experienced squad there. He is not getting enough out of them and his tactics are not what this squad calls for.

SF19 repped this.
  18. Chaz Striker

Chaz Striker Member+

Jul 26, 2005
    Denver
    I’m assuming he has better opportunities

19. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Maguire, Varane and Bruno now injured now. I'm really having doubts and concerns what's happening at Carrington here.

thefly and Deadtigers repped this.
  20. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    If we can land Ashworth and Berrada, we can land Tuchel.

I think we'd be an appealing project to him with the right structure and ownership in place.

He's just the right mix to me of age, experience, football philosophy and short term pragmatism as things are built.

21. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    yup. staying by being the best of a bad bunch. sadness.

then again, this is what being worst in class at everything looks like

22. SF19

SF19 Member+

Jun 8, 2013
    We play City this upcoming Sunday. Pep today:

https://www.manchestereveningnews.c...ll-news/pep-guardiola-warns-man-city-28716713

5 goals from Haaland. 4 assists from KdB. City have found form at just the right time.

We, OTOH, have a mounting injury crisis. Ten Hag/staff and players at odds and unevens over a perceived burnout.

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...yers-asked-for-day-off-after-defeat-by-fulham

Sofabloke repped this.
  23. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    He's shown with his behavior, on and off the pitch we should look elsewhere. His constant moaning and he is also an excuses guy and not upfront. He's a softer, younger, more attack minded Jose. He has also shown he can barely keep a locker room together. I cant see how someone with his personality can get the best of this group of pussy cats.

24. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Red Card

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I’m not advocating for keeping or sacking ETH. I kind of see it as irrelevant until the right structure is solidified and the current squad is gutted. The structure is awful but the current group of players are a major problem. Overpaid, lazy, finger pointers.

Look at Arteta or Klopp. In their first 3-4 years they performed worse than ETH and Ole, but you never heard of player unrest. It was alway unified and working towards improving and the common goal. Now compare that to our squad…happy at first and then the second things start to get a little difficult, they come under scrutiny, or the manager is asking them to do something different/work harder and what do they do? Immediately turn on the manager, go to social media or leak unrest to the press, and quit.

That is what I keep blaming the players and not ETH. If I saw the team working hard, committed, and handling issues internally, then I would be more critical of tactics and game plans. But I highly doubt the players are carrying out the managers tactics. Just like I doubt the players are being told by ETH to consistently be outworked by the opposition, to be static off the ball, to walk back after losing possession, etc. This trend has happened with 4 managers in a row.

25. Chaz Striker

Chaz Striker Member+

Jul 26, 2005
    Denver
    This isn't true. The first thing Klopp and Arteta were able to do was get rid of major deadweight, expensive, unhappy players. Ozil, Aubameyang, Coutinho, etc. and replaced them with hard working professionals and low cost-high upside gambles.