Breakers vs Freedom Pre/During/Post Match Comments

Discussion in 'Boston Breakers' started by Weymouth Dave, Jul 18, 2010.

1. Weymouth Dave

Weymouth Dave Member

Mar 4, 2001
    Weymouth
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So it's a 5PM start at the Stadium. Bring a wide brim hat as the 5 o'clock start means 2 hrs of tanning opportunities. Lil played a lot of minutes in the Sweden game yesterday so though she said she will be there she might not play. Amy seems to have recovered from the ankle rollover in midweek match so might be doubtful.
    On the other hand Wombat worked pretty hard in the national match and hopefully will see limited minutes.
    Go Breakers.

2. wokeupfuzzy

wokeupfuzzy Member

Apr 24, 2010
    yeah, though unfortunately no way Wombat sits the entire match. And while I always hope LePeilbet plays, if she's semi-injured it wouldn't be good to aggravate it.

Headed to gladiator stadium with my sunscreen and H2O, ready to bake. Hope it's a good match.

3. socfandan

socfandan Member

Jul 30, 2000
    Eastern Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was a good match. Not pretty, but a good match. Freddom goal pretty sickeing, yo just do not leve a player open like that, but to the team's credit they came back hard and didn't let it get to them.

I am still of the opinion that no matter who they play where, this team is a mess offensively but they did enough to pull out the match.

I will take this evening to savor the victory and pass on the critique. For AMBreakers sake, I will point out that the team conceded a horrendous early goal, and neither of their goals came immediately following the opening kick-off or after halftime so pleeeeeaaasssee do not give the credit for this victory to legenadarycoachtonydicicco's alleged brilliance in inspiring the troops in preparation for the match or at halftime.

And Lilly looked damn good. And not just considering her age or the minutes she put in for the USWNT last night. Smith on the other hand was pretty uninspired. My 14 year old son actually asked me why she looked like she didn't care and why she was on the field with the lack of effort she displayed. Told him I had no clue, ask lctd.

Bogus was inspired, she has played her best soccer for the Breakers since being cut and resigned to the developmental roster. And I have am developing a wonderful appreciation for Osborne and what she brings to this team.

4. mavric

mavric Member

Aug 10, 2009
    Boston Area
    Club:
    Boston Breakers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay so I am away on vacation and miss the last two home games and they win... Do I have to stay away for the rest of the season! :)

Who scored? Did Amy play?

5. Weymouth Dave

Weymouth Dave Member

Mar 4, 2001
    Weymouth
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree on both your points though I think the word 'inspired' for Smitty was probably a typo. She did a lot of strolling tonight. Osborne played great all night.
    Alex left her mark for that goal by the Freedom but did better as the match progressed. Fabiana worked like a dog all night and did some great dispossessing of the ball.
    Strange to see Gbarra so well behaved tonite.And the coulda made a killing selling some SPF 60 to anybody in section 7

6. Weymouth Dave

Weymouth Dave Member

Mar 4, 2001
    Weymouth
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, please stay away and no Amy didn't play which after watching that rolled over ankle vs Sweden was just fine with me.

7. Eleanor

Eleanor New Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Congrats to Boston! Do we dare say the team is on a roll yet? Great goals from Bogus and Angeli — a nutmeg! And a great instinctive crack once again from Angeli.

8. socfandan

socfandan Member

Jul 30, 2000
    Eastern Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry, I fixed my post, UNinspired was my intent... hate when brain gets sooooo far ahead of my fingers....

Gabarra dodged a bullet getting his suspension rescinded but I am sure he was told to be on his very, very best behavior tonight and moving forward.

Section 5 was no better, wish I had a water concession.

9. wokeupfuzzy

wokeupfuzzy Member

Apr 24, 2010
    I definitely got a bit of a burn. At least there wasn't a crazy downpour like there was last night in CT.

I'm in agreement with the comments about Smith being fairly uninspired tonight (it's not the first time, but it seems worse that usual). She just didn't do much off the ball movement and looked tired. I would have loved to see more Cheney, less Smith. Though I'm not sure sitting her more will give her the kick in the butt she needs. She did have a couple moments of brilliance, at least.

And the Ginger (Angeli) has 3 goals now! This time she got lucky and cleaned up - right place, right time.

10. disalex

disalex New Member

Aug 23, 2004
    I thought putting in Lil and Cheney for the last part of the game was a pretty good move, fresh legs on a 95 degree day
    The Freedom goal was definitely something to cringe at but it woke them up.
    What was with Smith? she seemed to not be all there for the first half, she did have some nice runs to start the second.

Matty- my Daughter and a friend stopped by the dock for the second half, I had to hear the chants all the way home.. they loved it!

11. mskenny

mskenny Member

Aug 23, 2008
    Ashland, MA
    Club:
    Boston Breakers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's give Smith credit where due for the first goal, which she created by winning a ball, cleverly navigating through a number of defenders, and finding Bogus in space to nutmeg the keeper (Oops!) She had many good moments in the match, but also seemed to lag behind at times making me wonder if the heat got to her after awhile. If you've ever been to England in the summer, you know what they mean when they make a joke like 'we had our two days of summer last week.' I'm sure she's not used to playing in this weather, but if she's going to play here she'll just have to.

I thought Osborne was awesome. I lost track of how many times she was taken down but just managed to poke the ball over to a teammate while tumbling to the ground. Tarpley also had a great game, though her finishing could improve; she missed a great chance at a header. Our other newcomer, Dieke, also played pretty well. I look forward to seeing her pair up with Amy (and send Moore back to the bench; she shared some blame for that early goal as well.)

It was a very enjoyable afternoon, other than the heat ray aimed at the stadium from on high. I was forced to put my stringbag over my legs to keep my ankles from catching fire and envied those who moved over to the shady side of the stadium. Kudos to The Dock for being loud and proud. By the way I don't see the exact number on the box score, but they announced the attendance as 4,700 some odd.

The Breakers had not won two straight at home since the first two home games last year, so let's hope this run continues.

12. Meinert6

Meinert6 New Member

Oct 22, 2006
    RI
    So... how about scheduling some more national team games?

They pulled a USMNT last night, going down 1-0 after two minutes just to make things interesting. I hope Angeli has earned a starting spot going forward.

Don't forget to email info@riptide08.com with a ranked list of your top 3 players for yesterday's match. This voting determines who gets our player of the year award at the end of the season.

13. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice come from behind win last night.Tarpley isn't quite back to her pre-ACL tear ability but she's getting there. Her header made the winning goal possible but, of course, she missed a great heading chance herself earlier in the game. I have to say I don't remember her doing much w/ her head in the past. I didn't see Angeli do much other than knock heads w/ Fabinana & score the winning goal. I guess the 2nd item is enough of a contribution ;)

Boston is now only 2 points behind 3rd place SBFC with 2 games in hand and 1 point behind 4th place WAS with 1 game in hand. The middle 4 teams are pretty tightly bunched.

14. Eleanor

Eleanor New Member

Oct 4, 2008
    That's two consecutive goals for both Angeli and Bogus. I hope both stay in the starting line up. And I don't care how Angeli gets them as long as she continues to find the right spot, right time!

15. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To correct my reading comp. skills... I swear the official standings said SBFC had played 15 games when I read it this am... sorry.

16. Layman

Layman Member

Mar 7, 2002
    I thought Smitty did quite well actually. She robbed the ball from Whitehill and laid on a marvellous pass to the unmarked wing player to score the equalizing goal.

Any dangerous player will inevitably be marked closely by not one but several players of the opposing team. We have to look at Smitty's performance in this light. Without her, the team will be even worse as I suspect there was little useful direction from the legendary coach.

17. Eleanor

Eleanor New Member

Oct 4, 2008
    I agree with the positive take on Smith and also on Osborne. And Tarpley may not be scoring goals, but she is getting assists and making a difference in drawing defenders so the play opens up.

18. Mattymags811

Mattymags811 Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Attleboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks to FSC for putting their microphone in the corner right in front of the Dock. There's something gratifying about hearing our efforts on national television. And yeah, Erin and Abby definitely heard us last night haha.

Lost in all of the Angeli-Bogus discussion (well-deserved no doubt) is the marked improvement of Alyssa Naeher. She made some great saves to keep us in the game last night and I was impressed with her ability to hold the ball on the ground and not give a chance for a rebound.

19. Eleanor

Eleanor New Member

Oct 4, 2008
    You are right, matty! Thanks for adding the well deserved tip to Naeher.

20. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good point. You take the good, you take the bad w/ young, promising keepers--but they need games to get better. And Naeher has a ton of promise. I think FSC chose the wrong save for their save of the game. I thought the 1v1 against Marshall that she saved was the save of the game. Not that high ball. :shrugs: She did show she's starting to make the proverbial next step toward being a decent pro and realizing some of that promise.

21. mskenny

mskenny Member

Aug 23, 2008
    Ashland, MA
    Club:
    Boston Breakers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Naeher was definitely at her best in this match. Tony (in some interview I saw) seemed to give her some of the blame for the Freedom goal, but I'm sure she'll get the field general part of goalkeeping in time. I did notice that she isn't very good at goal kicks. Her drop kicks go quite a ways downfield, but the goal kicks don't.