Breakers St Louis Post Match (R)

Discussion in 'Boston Breakers' started by Weymouth Dave, Apr 11, 2009.

1. geewizzz

geewizzz Member

Sep 4, 2008
    So only one person heard Hope say something into her mobile & not even the whole conversation?? Right...

Anyway...players are gonna get pelted... its part of the game & they will all get it somewhere.

2. Ann

Ann Member

Feb 17, 1999
    MA
    This isn't a U-12 game, it's a professional sport. I certainly understand not wanting your child around the language. Now that you know where we are located in the stadium, you can buy tickets on the other side.

Having adult fans is important to the survival of the league. Marketing to kids only did not work the first time.

We shouldn't treat these players any different because they are women. Yelling at the opposing team is part of the game and they need to get used to that. It will help them do better in WC qualifying.

3. angel3

angel3 New Member

Aug 6, 2008
    Are you telling me all families should just buy tickets on the other side of the stadium? I am afraid many will simply stay away.
    Like I said, you can do whatever you want, no one can stop you. The families with kids will also do what is necessary for them, I don't doubt that many will make the decision to stay home.

Having adult fans is important. Having families is just as important. Why would you want to dismiss them?

4. Ann

Ann Member

Feb 17, 1999
    MA
    I don't, not at all. But they need both groups. We've made it work just fine at Revs games by having the supporters section away from the "regular" fans, and we should be able to do the same at Breakers games.

I didn't go to many WUSA games because it was TOO family friendly. I felt like an adult hanging out at a Chucky Cheese. I'm thrilled with the changes that the Breakers organization has made this go around and I really hope it works out.

5. REVS FAN 1

REVS FAN 1 Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

No, just the families that have a problem with anything going on in The Dock. You'll notice several families in or around The Dock because they enjoy the atmosphere we try to create...If it's not for you, whether you're with a family or not you're free to move away from us.

I've been to Patriots, Red Sox, Celtics and Bruins games for 30+ years and have heard much much worse than anything you'll ever hear in The Dock...And those teams have great "family" support...

provided they can afford it!:p

6. TheStatsGuy

TheStatsGuy Member

Jul 8, 2007
    Somewhere, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, I think you should buy tickets in section 13 and do some parenting. :D;) Or you can take the easy way out and stay home. Teaching your children how to act/not act is just as important a lesson as "say no to drugs", don't drink and drive etc.

If you want your kids to look up these women as professional soccer players who worked hard, persevered and accomplished there dreams thats great. My parents did that too. I looked up to Cam Neely, Ray Bourque, Mike Greenwell(big mistake), Wade Boggs(another mistake as it turns out), Larry Bird etc. Ever been to a Celtics, Sox, Pats, Bruins game? I saw some pretty heavy stuff at Sox games in the bleachers and Pats games in the mid 80's as a 8-12 year old kid myself. I was told what words were bad and told that my parents didn't want me acting that way. Guess what, it worked out just fine. When I became an adult I made my own decisions. They do chants at Revs games I won't do because I don't like the connotation or the words being used. It's all a choice.

We said nothing Saturday that would scar a child. It you have a problem with the word suck or bitch (worst words we have and probably will ever use at a game) then may I suggest a trip to RI for some pro tennis matches or Norton and Plymouth for some pro golf spectating.

7. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good post Statsguy. You covered just about everything.

8. hocho

hocho New Member

Sep 14, 2005
    Braintree

Pay no attention to me. I'm being a whine bag actually.

Was late and aggravated due to traffic and had to sludge thru the mud, etc.

The good outweighed the bad though.

9. socfandan

socfandan Member

Jul 30, 2000
    Eastern Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was extremely muddy and slippery, at least the parts that were not flooded were. Very nasty.

10. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very muddy and slippery and nasty to walk on. We need a photo of the Dock members in hip-waders. ;)

It would have been a nice touch to have little yellow duckies floating in the parking lakes. :D

11. socfandan

socfandan Member

Jul 30, 2000
    Eastern Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That would qualify as oversharing...........

12. Meinert6

Meinert6 New Member

Oct 22, 2006
    RI
    Though I will be mostly echoing Ann and TheStatsGuy's responses, I feel the need to chime in. I have been on both sides of this situation. I fell in love with soccer as a ten-year-old girl when the USWNT won the gold medal at the '96 Olympics. I had a poster of Kristine Lilly on my wall throughout middle school. I think it's important for girls to have strong female role models like WPS players, and I'm grateful that I was able to look up to players like Lil when I was growing up. It's great that parents are taking their young daughters to games, and it's great that young girls, like their brothers, can dream of growing up to be professional athletes.

Part of the dream of being a pro athlete is being treated like a professional, just like the men. In the discussions I've had with players, they love the fact that there are loud fans at games, helping to give them a home field advantage. They even like being heckled by opposing fans (well, most of them do, anyway :) ), because it's a sign that people are taking them seriously.

Those of us on the Dock are well aware that Breakers games are family affairs for a lot of people. That's why we requested that our section be on the end (so that if you want to stay away from us, you can). That's why we're self-policing with regard to language - you didn't hear anything from the Dock that you don't hear on network television (I mean, you hear "suck" on Nickelodeon).

Most importantly, if these 8-12 year old girls are dreaming of playing for the Breakers someday, I want to do whatever I can to make sure the Breakers still exist when they're old enough to play. I think the Dock provides a place for adult fans to go without feeling like they're crashing a birthday party at Chuck E Cheese. And this league needs adult fans (and families) to survive.

13. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Note that the Dock is positioned at the end of the stadium beyond the visiting team bench. Most families will be getting seats behind the Breakers' bench.

14. Bman

Bman Member

Apr 24, 2001
    Beverly, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sitting on the mid stripe in Row 7 though, we pretty much heard everything coming from "The Dock" as the sound seemed to be bouncing off the empty seats across the field and coming directly to us. Of course it was quiet as hell as most people were sitting there trying not to get hypothermic. I bet when it's warmer, there will be more energy throughout the stands

15. REVS FAN 1

REVS FAN 1 Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

awesome!:D

It will definitely be bigger, better and much louder on a non holiday weekend with a bit 'o sunshine!

16. TheStatsGuy

TheStatsGuy Member

Jul 8, 2007
    Somewhere, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you thought it was loud for this game wait until the June 14th game! I want twice the size of the dock and Hope using up a whole box of kleenex BY HALFTIME!! :D

Then I want Joe to make a special concession and let the dock move down to the other corner just for this game. Just when Hope thought the torture was over. ;)

It will never happen but how funny would that be. She would damn near lose her mind.

17. KATref

KATref Member

Dec 31, 2005
    Stow, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I got a song stuck in my head today I thought we could use next time we play them, it's an old gospel song(yeah I know) which goes something like So high can't get over it, so low can't get under it, so wide can't get over it you must come in at the door.

I was thinking:
    SOLO we can score over you
    SOLO we can score under you
    SOLO we can score 'round you
    The Breakers will score on you!

18. Mattymags811

Mattymags811 Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Attleboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or to placate the Sarah Palin-family types in the crowd:
    You're the whiniest keeper in the league.
    Cuz Hope Solo's really Two. :rolleyes:

19. ngower

ngower foolish grin

May 24, 2006
    Nashua, NH
    One thing that I noticed, but kept quiet on, was that the children's section is directly next to the Dock. I didn't think it would be a problem but apparently this thread has proved me wrong. Jackie, Mike, Matty, whoever, I suggest you point this out to the Breakers stat so that they can adjust accordingly. It could become a problem as the season goes on.

20. hocho

hocho New Member

Sep 14, 2005
    Braintree

I was in 8th (?) row (7-Q), great seats

21. socfandan

socfandan Member

Jul 30, 2000
    Eastern Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was in the front row of section 5.... we could hear the folks in the Dock but not very clearly.... the effect of the echo from the far side was pretty cool though.
    I thought that there was a good amount of noice and buzz, more than I would have expected from 4800 people.

22. jwoo

jwoo Member

Jul 30, 2008
    West Newton, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

All I know is it took me longer to drive home from Harvard that it does from Gillette, even though it is 1/3 the distance. Getting out of the lot is pretty slow. I wish you could go directly onto Soldiers Field Road from the lot.

23. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Soldiers field?? That's in Chicago. LOL

24. Weymouth Dave

Weymouth Dave Member

Mar 4, 2001
    Weymouth
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The field behind harvard Stadium is also known as Soldiers Field

25. Craig P

Craig P BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 26, 1999
    Eastern MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Soldiers Field Road, aka what Storrow Drive turns into as it gets farther away from the middle of Boston. I'd hazard a guess that it's had that name for longer than the stadium in Chicago.