Breakers @ Death Stars In-Game

Discussion in 'Boston Breakers' started by Mattymags811, Apr 25, 2009.

1. Charbs21

Charbs21 New Member

Mar 17, 2009
    Northern Hemisphere
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So Boston has used all three subs - no Smith at all???

2. jrevs

jrevs New Member

Oct 21, 2007
    MA & DC
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Crap.

3. mskenny

mskenny Member

Aug 23, 2008
    Ashland, MA
    Club:
    Boston Breakers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think there would be much point to Smith coming in now.

4. Charbs21

Charbs21 New Member

Mar 17, 2009
    Northern Hemisphere
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree - guess I am just surprised she didn't come in at the beginning of the 2nd half when it was still 3-0.

5. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was a questionable foul call and def not a card. But the announcers aren't paying attention anymore...

6. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The announcers have completely stopped covering the game and are just chatting...

7. Mattymags811

Mattymags811 Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Attleboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No different from FSC.

8. Mattymags811

Mattymags811 Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Attleboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yay for Joe Cummings!

9. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    several players seem to be getting little knocks & knicks.

10. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    not a good free kick. that close, you need to do better.

11. mskenny

mskenny Member

Aug 23, 2008
    Ashland, MA
    Club:
    Boston Breakers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unfortunately, Tony was unable to provide the same level of inspiration at halftime that Sir Alex did for Man U earlier...

12. dianamo-superstriker

Sep 30, 2007
    California
    any idea why Smith didn't play?

13. Mattymags811

Mattymags811 Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Attleboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Only speculation from me, but I suspect that she picked up a knock in England and that the pressurization from flying made it flare up. Or they didn't want to risk her in the cold/rain with a knock.

14. Bonnie Lass

Bonnie Lass Moderator
    Staff Member

Lyon
    Norway
    Oct 20, 2000
    Up top
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    I don't know if Smith was officially injured, but she took some hard knocks during the Norway match. Her and Ingvild Stensland had it out for each other and there were some mighty hard/dirty tackles against her.

15. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Just got back from the game and to tell you the truth from watching it live, the Breakers were never in the game. The Red Stars completely controlled the game from beginning to end. I think if Smith was in there it may have been a different game. But it wasn't. The Red stars finally came out of their shell and showed the talent they have on this team.

16. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, Luckenburger got destroyed. I told you she wasn't a very good goalie.:D She has allowed more goals than any other goalie in WPS. Next time don't pick a goalie who looks like the Pillsbury dough girl. :p

A-Rod has to be the biggest disappointment here because she was dominant at times in international play but hasn't really done jack squat so far in WPS as far as what I have seen and heard.

I did see some of the game on the streaming video and did you guys notice the lack of color or dim color with the video? I'm sure that's something they will work on for the future.

17. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I agree on A-Rod. And I'm a A-Rod fan. But tonight she looked like a college player. She made runs on the side I was sitting at and she just couldn't control anything. Dalmy had her number the whole game.

18. geewizzz

geewizzz Member

Sep 4, 2008
    A-Rod went missing again i'm afraid. Her lack of control is so frustrating to fans. She does make the runs as she is fast but when she gets the ball.. thats where the move then breaks down, either by her failing to control the ball or her being to quick & passing it to the opposition by mistake. She will need to learn the technical side of the game. I have no doubt she will in time but its not helping Boston right now.

Luckenbill was unlucky she made a few mistakes notably at the end of the 1st half but some of the goals she could not have done anything about.Having said that i thought the other keeper came on & played well she look composed & her kicking was good.

19. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But shouldn't you already know the techincal side of the game when you've been to the World Cup and Olympics and on a gold medal winning team?

Maybe A-Rod just depended too much on her teammates getting her the home run pass in international play because that is mostly what I recall about her. She used to take those breakout passes and go in alone on net.

I'm sure she can improve in WPS and pick up things she didn't in international play but it's just that you would think she would farther along than this.

20. geewizzz

geewizzz Member

Sep 4, 2008
    No you can always improve. You are never the finished article at any level. She is on the WNT & went to the Olympics because of her speed & the goals she scored leading up to the Olympics, however she does go missing & wastes a lot of balls but as there was no league we couldn't see any other striker & with Abby out & Natasha Kai off-form, she was in the team. But now there is a league & we will wait & see what Pia does from now on. I would say there is a few spots open in the WNT if Pia has the guts to make them.

21. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Geewhiz so it looks like you are implying that A-Rod might be out of the USWNT if Pia has the guts to make the change.

22. geewizzz

geewizzz Member

Sep 4, 2008
    I wasn't just talking about her. I was talking in general regarding the WNT. But A-Rod is being watched now because of the league and she will be compared to other strikers. Fortunately for her apart from Weimer there isn't really any striker that has made an impact so far who is not already in the National team squad.

23. Dartsoc

Dartsoc New Member

May 16, 2004
    I was out and didn't see the game - What the $%^%$$ happened? Like did we just not show-up....4-0 is like impossible - where was the defence etc?

24. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Luckenbill may have been more to blame than the defense.

25. Mattymags811

Mattymags811 Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Attleboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No. The goals from Carney and Rapinoe were the defense's fault, they never should have had the space.