Brazilian History books

Discussion in 'Brazil NSR' started by Catfish, Dec 23, 2005.

1. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I have been looking for some excellent books on Brazilian history...any aspect, doesn't have to be football related at all.

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions. Thank you.

2. mad theory

mad theory New Member

May 10, 2004
    London
    You could easily google it or check amazon.

Anyway does this mean if you like the books you'll become a closet brazilian?

3. Andrea_StarLight

Andrea_StarLight New Member

Mar 7, 2005
    Brasil
    I only know books written in portuguese ....

4. simplysoccerBR

simplysoccerBR New Member

Feb 13, 2004
    Curitiba
    Elio Gaspari, about Brazilian military dictatorship in the 20th century.

There are 4 books, each consisting in a phase of the dictatorship.

The ones I've read:

A ditadura envergonhada (the covered up dictatorship- sorry about the translation)
    A ditadura escancarada (the exposed dictatorship)

5. leonidas

leonidas Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    May 25, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Probably the best book around in English is actually a sourcebook. "The Brazil Reader: History, Culture, Politics"...edited by Robert Levine. It has a bunch of translated documents like diaries, memos, and stuff, along with some essays. I loved it.

Roberto da Matta is probably the most well-known historian outside of Brazil. He's more of a social historian though, but his stuff is pretty interesting. His most famous book is Carnaval, Rogues, and Heroes. I think this book you will probably only be able to find in a university library. Another famous historian is Darcy Ribeiro. You can find his book on Amazon.com.

I know of a several more history books, but they are on more specific topics like Candomble, slavery, and Brazilian culture. etc. There are a lot of very well-written books on Brazilian music and they all touch on the historical context. You also can't really go wrong with some of the books by some of Brazil's famous novelists. Probably one of the best historical novels is "Os Sertoes" by Euclides da Cunha. The English version is "Rebellion in the Backland." Mario Vargas Llosa also wrote about this historical rebellion in Brazil...it's a lot more recent than da Cunha's one..."The War of the End of the World."

6. Andrea_StarLight

Andrea_StarLight New Member

Mar 7, 2005
    Brasil

Those are awesome books, every brazilian you should read them.

7. Garibaldi

Garibaldi Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Toronto, Ontario
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Try these authors .... I would not say they are historians technically, but their social references will lead you into understanding more about Brazilian History.

Joseph Page - The Brazilians

Ruy Castro - Garrincha , Story of Bossa Nova , Rio De Janeiro - ( If I remember correctly ) Carnival under Fire.

So many more...but these guys quickly come to mind.

great reads - enjoy.