Brazilian Goalkeepers

Discussion in 'Brazil' started by Chizzy, Oct 4, 2003.

1. Chizzy

Chizzy Member+

She/Her
    United States
    Aug 7, 2003
    Upper Left, USA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Marcos and Taffarel were good for Brazil from the last 3 World cups.

Any great Brazilian goalkeepers in the past?

2. MIGkiller

MIGkiller Member+

Flamengo
    Brazil
    May 9, 2003
    Rio de Janeiro
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Actually Taffarel was already Brazil's keeper during the 90' WC, so that makes 4 WCs.

He gets more credit for the PKs he saved in the 2 World Cups he helped Brazil to reach the final, but beyond that he wasn't much demanded.

In 1990 he did some miraculous saves (against Scotland and Argentina) that I can remember. Too bad the rest of the team sucked pretty hard. Most appoint him as Brazil's best player of that WC - he can't be blamed by the team's sudden elimination at the time.

Before that I barely remember Carlos defending the Brazilian net in the 86' WC. Again, the Brazilian keeper wasn't much demanded (Brazil didn't suffer any goals before the game against France), but he's most remembered by that fateful PK that hit the post then his back to finally enter the goal which didn't help us advance to the semis.

3. Chizzy

Chizzy Member+

She/Her
    United States
    Aug 7, 2003
    Upper Left, USA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well....... i was 8 yrs old during the Italia 90. I Didn't remember Taffarel.;)

4. Sam Sam

Sam Sam New Member

Oct 4, 2003
    Raleigh
    Any great Brazilian goalkeepers in the past?

I totally agre with your opinion about Taffarel. Talking about the past, Brazil definetely had outstanding goalkeepers. Brazil had Barbosa, Gilmar and Emerson Leao. Let me mention the WC that they played, just to give you some perspective about timing. Barbosa played during the 1950 WC in Brazil. He never forgave himself for losing the final game. He passed away a few years ago. He was very poor and still feeling guilty. Gilmar played during the 1958 and 1962 WC.

Emerson Leao played during the 1970, 1974, 1978 and 1986 WC. By the way, Leao in Portuguese means lion. He was very young and stayed on the bench during the 1970 WC, though! The Brazilian coach and Leao did not get along in the beginning of the 80’s. As a result, Leao was not chosen to play during the 1982 World Cup in Spain. He stayed on the bench in 1986 too, but he could have played 5 World Cups.

I've heard from many columnists and veteran players, including Pele, that Gilmar was the best goalkeeper that Brazil has ever had. That is not a new thread but I thought you deserved an additional comment about the past.

Cheers!
    Sam Sam

5. CerezoElegance

CerezoElegance New Member

Sep 26, 2003
    Taffarel was superior ro tree trunk legs, Leao!!