Brazil vs Scotland, March 27 2011

Discussion in 'Brazil' started by Ombak, Mar 4, 2011.

1. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Convocacao recap:

Goleiros:
    Julio César (Inter de Milão)
    Jefferson (Botafogo)
    Victor (Grêmio)

Laterais:
    Daniel Alves (Barcelona)
    Maicon (Inter de Milão)
    André Santos (Fenerbahçe)
    Marcelo (Real Madrid)

Zagueiros:
    Thiago Silva (Milan)
    David Luiz (Chelsea)
    Luisão (Benfica)
    Lúcio (Inter de Milão)

Volantes:
    Lucas (Liverpool)
    Ramires (Chelsea)
    Sandro (Tottenham)
    Henrique (Cruzeiro)

Meias:
    Elias (Atlético de Madri)
    Elano (Santos)
    Renato Augusto (Bayer Leverkusen)
    Jadson (Shakhtar Donetsk)
    Lucas (São Paulo)

Atacantes:
    Alexandre Pato (Milan)
    Nilmar (Villarreal)
    Neymar (Santos)
    Jonas (Valencia)

2. Denilson70

Denilson70 Member

May 29, 2001
    England
    Have secured my ticket for the game!

3. Fellini

Fellini Member

Apr 19, 2009
    Pa - USA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
  4. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    Re: Menezes ignores Ronaldinho and Robinho in latest Brazil call-up

No story needed, they both do not deserve ...

The main issue now is WHO will be Menezes XI and what tactics he shall utilize?
    Scotland is good in defense -well as a minnow team they have no choice!

5. Denilson70

Denilson70 Member

May 29, 2001
    England
    Well 3 into 2 won't go so I think David Luiz will be dropped with Thiago Silva moving to the left central position.

1 - Julio Cesar
    2 - Danile Alves (Maicon on in the 2nd half I am guessing)
    3 - Lucio (Capitao)
    4 - Thiago Silva
    5 - Lucas
    6 - Andre Santos
    7 - Elano ?
    8 - Ramires ?
    9 - Alexandre Pato
    10 - Renato Augusto
    11 - Neymar

Only one man knows though!

6. leonidas

leonidas Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    May 25, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo

Robinho will be there. He's still playing well for Milan (although he didnt do anything today) and he's had a few good games under Mano. Of course, in our 2 consecutive defeats, he was poor. But the whole team was crap in both games.

Ronaldinho. We don't really even need to go there lol.

Mano is just trying to iron down the final forward spot before the Copa America. As it stands, Pato, Robinho, and Neymar are locks. The final guy will be either Nilmar, Hulk, or Andre (unfortunately). I would give the nod to Hulk.

7. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

I'm really surprised at that article from Tim Vickery. To be honest the title is sensationalist so that's probably coloring my reaction but I think he is reading too much into the Robinho omission - but I do like the speculation.

The problem I have is his investment in Ronaldinho. One very big positive about Tim Vickery is that he rates the local players highly (relative to other non-Brazilian journalists) but I think he's picking the wrong horse in Ronaldinho if he thinks he'll be a good call-up from the Brazilian league (I don't think he'll get back to the point where he should be called up, Tim Vickery does).

I think everyone knows I'd love to see Lucio/Thiago Silva/David Luiz as a 3-man backline but the call-up obviously suggests he's sticking to his 4-4-2 and the question is how will the midfield line up? I do think Lucio gets the start alongside Thiago Silva on defense and I agree with Vickery that the Maicon call-up is one of the more interesting recalls (though as I have said before in my opinion Maicon's previous Brazil form is enough for him to be recalled regardless of how well Alves is doing and how poorly Maicon did for his club earlier this season).

8. leonidas

leonidas Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    May 25, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    I will cry if Renato Augusto is our #10. Seriously. The options are terrible on this current team. I'd rather just give Lucas the start and pray lol.

9. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I expect we'll see:

JC;
    Daniel Alves, Lucio, Thiago Silva, Andre Santos;
    Lucas, Ramires, Renato Augusto, Elano;
    Neymar, Pato

I would really love to see Sandro instead of Lucas for a significant amount of time and I think the biggest question is whether Maicon, Lucio and Elano start now that they're recalled.

10. leonidas

leonidas Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    May 25, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo

I think a 3-man backline could work. Of course, the problem with this is that the formation would really only be feasible for the next 2 years. I can't see Lucio playing a major role in 2014 - or if he will even play in his 4th World Cup.

But certainly, we can do some sort of Felipao WC 2002 formation. I mean really for it to work well, we'd probably have to drop Neymar from the starting line-up for the time being. Elano and Sandro/Lucas could play in the central midfield with Dani Alves and Andre Santos a bit more freed up on the wings.

The other option would be to try out David Luiz at left back, which I think we definitely need to look at. I'm still not quite comfortable with Andre Santos there -- and well, I'm not quite comfortable with David Luiz and center-back yet. I have no problems with Thiago Silva. The guy is a monster and he effectively shut down Crouch today.

11. leonidas

leonidas Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    May 25, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    I also wouldnt mind seeing the return of the Dunga formation using Dani Alves as a midfielder. It worked OK enough and I think it could work if Dani Alves is given more of an opportunity to play at that position.

12. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004

Well Ronaldinho was once a double superstar and no doubt he still has a lot of fans. His touch, vision and magic pass are still there, but his motivation and self-confidence in playing games (a la Ronaldo and Zidane) somehow was missing. He gotta forget about scoring goals but enjoy more passing/distributing balls around. That's what this young (inexperience) bneed badly. We'll see about how he will do in Brazil - I do not count on him no more, but he is still a trump card IF he can find his "joyful style" again

I like your 3 man back idea - Since I also like Dani Alves to start! Hence we shall play 3 4 2 1 formation especially withou a true playmaker:

[​IMG]

13. Denilson70

Denilson70 Member

May 29, 2001
    England
    Well, did you cry last month?! He was number 10 x France.

14. arun10

arun10 Member

May 31, 2005
    Is Ganso back from injury?what's his chance of being in the Copa America team?

15. leonidas

leonidas Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    May 25, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    yes and he was horrible. the fact that we only have one true #10 at the moment isn't mano's fault. if the guy sucks, drop him. renato should be given one more chance, but i don't rate him high enough to be a fixture on this team for years to come.

16. leonidas

leonidas Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    May 25, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    he's set to make his debut this weekend. he won't start but should play 10 minutes or so.

the good thing is that he'll be getting into form while playing in the Paulista with it's terrible level of play. so he should be getting into peak form by the summer.

neymar played his first game for santos yesterday in the new year and got 2 goals (including a golaco) and an assist.

17. Dribble&Trix

Dribble&Trix Member

Apr 14, 2005
    It wasn´t his first game, it was his fifth
    but his first goals and real nice one´s.

18. leonidas

leonidas Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    May 25, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    sorry. first in paulista is what i meant.

19. IVO !

IVO ! Member

Feb 25, 2009
    RIO AND CHICAGO
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Ganso needs to be in the selecao immediately. Magical, maestro, geneus, a true number 10. Yesterday he entered the game and changed the entire picture of the game in 3 minutes, not only scoring one and assisting other, but the manner in which the team changed when he entered was really impressive. Ganso, our next Kaka without doubt. Ganso is the #10 we are missing in the selecao.

20. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    The way he played right now and plus his natural skillset, I expected him to be better than Kaka, may be like Rivaldo - if and only if he would develop on the right path as his peers

21. Denilson70

Denilson70 Member

May 29, 2001
    England
  22. IVO !

IVO ! Member

Feb 25, 2009
    RIO AND CHICAGO
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    - I was disappointed in not seeing Hernanes as he played very well against France up until…. And we all know why Hernanes is not being called back.
    - As to Robinho, it is no secret why the snub: A lesson, a punishment, something of the sort, but you can be sure Robinho will be back.
    - Ronaldinho still has chances to be back as his game and fitness is improving with every game.
    - If it is possible at this time to make changes, Ganso is a must.
    - Let us hope Mano puts in Marcelo for a good test.

23. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    what is the punishment for robinho?

i thought it was more of a breather for him b/c he is a sure thing with brasil - after all he is the captain...

24. IVO !

IVO ! Member

Feb 25, 2009
    RIO AND CHICAGO
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    There is no breather here. Two straight losses, loss of composure by the captain, decrease in performance, etc.. I agree though that Robinho is a sure thing for Brasil, however, the captain's band is now in doubt as I really do not think Robinho as captain material.

25. Kaka10725

Kaka10725 Member+

Jun 1, 2007
    If Lucio is going to be back for a while; I think he should still be captain. Then, eventually give Thiago Silva the armband.

Robinho is an important player but he is no leader. I have seen him disappear in too many big games to be considered a leader.