Brave Nieuw World: Mark McKenzie at Genk

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Sebsasour, Jul 9, 2020.

1. Ray Shoesmith

Ray Shoesmith Member+

Valencia
    United States
    Nov 14, 2021
    I would say this is a coaching change that is really going to help our guy.

If we acknowledge the ones that hurt we should point out the ones that help.

A year under his belt, trial by fire with the Nats. Time to shine young man.

2. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    The ones that *can* help. The new guy will have his preferred tactics (though the sporting director system suggests that there won't be dramatic changes there), styles, etc. What's near-universal with a new coach is to decide if the current lineup has the quality there and if they do to give (most of) them a chance to show it in the first one-two games - and drop them ruthlessly if they don't.

If a player's been marginalized by the current guy, a replacement is the perfect time to step it up a level or twenty in training. Like you said, the time to shine is nigh!

3. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    They lost on penalties, 3-3 before the penalties.

5. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Winoman, ChrisSSBB, JUnionFan and 3 others repped this.
  6. JUnionFan

JUnionFan Member+

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Sep 30, 2020

WheezingUSASupport and Winoman repped this.
  7. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Pretty nice stat line.

Two questions, for the forum:

1) Is anyone here actually watching his club games?

2) If yes, does he suffer from John Brooks Syndrome as much there as he has with the national team (ie - switching off and making regular catastrophic errors)?

8. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Genk played most of the 2nd half up a man, so McKenzie wasn’t forced into too much defending

9. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    So it is written, so it shall be done: https://www.krcgenk.be/nl/nieuws/4501/einde-samenwerking-met-john-van-den-brom

The Irish Rover repped this.
  10. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WheezingUSASupport repped this.
  11. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought he played pretty well.... he was not at fault for the single goal given up (happened on a corner counter)... but Genk gets bounced from Europe as they could not score a single goal at home. Awful result for them.

felloveranddidanadu and Winoman repped this.
  12. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WheezingUSASupport and Winoman repped this.
  13. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bernd Storck swoops in as the new coach of KRC Genk. He is apparently famous for keeping small teams up in the Belgian top league.

ChrisSSBB repped this.
  14. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Genk’s offense is looking good. They’ve had several chances, but still 0-0. I haven’t heard McKenzie mentioned but I am only half paying attention.

Edit: I had them confused, Gent are the ones wearing blue and they’ve had the good chances. Still unclear if McKenzie was involved in giving those up or not.

15. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He has started last 4 matches for Genk (2 UEL and 2 Jupiler). Hopefully a trend that continues. Showed versatility during that time as he played RCB, LCB and a little RB.

16. JUnionFan

JUnionFan Member+

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Sep 30, 2020
    He hasn't been. The goal itself was a long shot outside of the box. The other teams chances mostly came from long balls dumped on the right side of Genk, Sadicks + Itos side.

McKenzie has been good I thought, some interceptions and good quick forward outlet passes. The issue is that Genk is so bad right now. Their midfield just never seems to own any game I watch, they seem so slow and unathletic. Their wingers have one v one talent but are one trick ponies. Their striker is a great big man but he can't do it all.

Also how many times can Genk be offsides in a half? It's such a bad look when you arent able to keep the ball at all.

glutton4Bolts repped this.
  17. JUnionFan

JUnionFan Member+

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Sep 30, 2020
    The past few games yeah, he has been getting good minutes. Apparently for tonight the other two CBs + the RB tested positive for Covid, so that complicates thing for Genk but probably means more minutes for McKenzie for the immediate future.

ChrisSSBB repped this.
  18. JUnionFan

JUnionFan Member+

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Sep 30, 2020
    Genk lose 1-0. Their offense is really inept.

McKenzie played perfectly fine. No real bad moments. Good in duels. The 3CB formation helped him not just pass to his CB partner all the time too, I saw more medium-length diagonals out to the wings.

I think the key is that he looks perfectly good enough for this level. He just needs more consistent playing time and for the club situation to improve.

19. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That goal was ridiculous. Long work burner from outside (?) the box that somehow missed everyone.

20. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
  21. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Winoman repped this.
  22. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    edcrocker repped this.
  23. JUnionFan

JUnionFan Member+

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Sep 30, 2020

Sometimes Fotmob ratings are weird. Like I thought he played well enough but I'm not sure it was MoM well.

The goal given up was just poor defense all around, with McKenzie having some part in that. First he won a header but played it centrally right into the path of an Antwerp player. A few seconds later, McKenzie is defending in the box and seems caught between two players, decides to shadow an attacker making a run to the endline, and at the same time the crosser on the edge of the box sends in a low cross to an open later runner for a goal. If McKenzie had held his ground, or decided to cover the late runner instead, he could have intercepted it.

24. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Fotmob match ratings are purely numbers driven and shouldn't be taken at all seriously. They may be helpful to get a really broad sense of how a team played or whatever, but beyond that they're not worth much.

Love that app though. It's really a must-have for any fan of the game.

25. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    I'm not shocked. Before they conceded, I was considering suggesting he was MOTM in the pbp thread. No one in the attack had that good of a game, and he was the best of the defense.