News: Brasileirão 2023 Série A

Discussion in 'Brazil' started by Ombak, Feb 14, 2023.

?

Who will win?

Poll closed Apr 15, 2023.
  1. Palmeiras

3 vote(s)
    60.0%
  2. Flamengo

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. Fluminense

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Corinthians

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Atlético-MG

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Other

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Botafogo won today, opening up a 12 point lead, pending Bragantino's match tomorrow.

Athletico-PR beat Grêmio, which means they're tied on 44 points, Grêmio fail to keep up with Botafogo and the Libertadores spots get more contested.

Palmeiras and Flamengo are also on 44 point and play tomorrow. Palmeiras host Atlético-MG while Flamengo go to Cruzeiro for Tite's first match in charge.

If either of them win, they will stay within 11 points of the leaders.

Meanwhile, Bragantino go to Santos and if they win, they'll stay within 9 points.

The other match left tomorrow is Fluminense vs. Corinthians. We'll see how Diniz bounces back after the international break.

2. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Half-time for Cruzeiro x Flamengo. Flamengo were no different for most of the half. Had possession but couldn't create or breakthrough. Tite did switch Gerson (from right to left) and Everton Ribeiro (from left to right) near the end of the half and Flamengo got two goals, but mostly because of Cruzeiro mistakes.

The first one came from patient build up, but a bad cross. However the defense gave it right to Ayrton Lucas who did well to put it away. The second was a naive penalty on Wesley who was overlapping but could have been contained. Instead the defender went "shoulder-to-shoulder" into his back.

But the result is 2x0 for Flamengo in Tite's first match.
    Meanwhile Palmeiras are down 1x0 at the half to a Hulk goal.

As a result, Flamengo are in 2nd place, pending the Bragantino match later.
    If Flamengo end the round in second, on their own, pundits are going to spend the next couple of days asking if Tite can pull off a miracle and get Flamengo to catch up with Botafogo...

3. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I am afraid we won't make it to Libertadores next season.

4. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    That sounds a bit drastic!

But it is a free-for-all right now in two zones:

from 11th to 18th place only 5 points separate the teams (12 to 18 only 2 points, pending Corinthians match later).

and from 4th to 9th only 3 points separate the teams. And 3rd and 2nd are not far ahead, only 1st place is way ahead. And 9th place is Fluminense at 41. If they win later, they join the big group of teams on 44 points.

11 matches left is a lot, and without much difference right now in these zones, it's impossible to really pick final standings.

About the Palmeiras x Atlético-MG match, Paulinho continues to be really solkid and I still see him as having an outside chance at a call-up for the wing.

5. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    We can't score a single goal.

6. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Fluminense went down 1x0, then 3x1 to Corinthians, but managed to salvage a draw and might have won in the second half if not for Cassio. The referee also sent off two Flu players on the bench.

So Fluminense makes it to 42 points. The standings after 27 rounds:

[​IMG]

All teams play Saturday or Sunday this weekend and Wednesday or Thursday next week.

MerlinRM repped this.
  7. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Well, Botafogo x Athletico-PR the match of the round not because it had the leader, but because of the mess at the stadium. Intermittently interrupted by power outages it was finally suspended indefinitely in the second half at 1x1 (Botafogo scored first and Athletico tied in the first half).

Because the calendar doesn't have space for any make up games, CBF decided to schedule the rest of the game for today, behind closed-doors (because of another game in Rio, the police couldn't provide enough security for both, so the rescheduled game had to be behind closed doors).

The final after resuming today was 1x1.

Flamengo won 1x0 in a game in which Vasco actually had more chances and are now 9 points behind in third. Bragantino beat Fluminense and are only 7 points behind in second place. With only 10 matches left, both have a chance of stealing the title from Botafogo.

Palmeiras are now on their own in 4th place, with 47 points.

The other big result of course was Inter 7x1 Santos. Many people see Santos' relegation as a given, but they're still within a point of Goiás and 3 of Corinthians who only drew today.

8. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Standings with 10 matches left:
    BrasileiraoSerieA_2023.JPG

9. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    We again needed goals from defenders ... now to beat basically relegated Coritiba.

Bragantino is in a real hot streak.

10. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Lucky for me I had both those defenders in my cartola team, as well as Weverton. Palmeiras carried me this week. Unfortunately my forwards did about as well as Palmeiras forwards, so it wasn't as strong a week as it could have been.

11. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Most of this week's matches are today, with 2 tomorrow and 1 postponed (Botafogo x Fortaleza, because of the Saturday postponement).

Fluminense gave up 2 early goals but tied 2x2 with Goiás and it's still in the first half! Bragantino are losing at half-time and Flamengo (at Grêmio) and Palmeiras (vs. São Paulo) play later.

Could have a team within 2 games of tying Botafogo by the end of the day, or they could end the day with the same advantage and a match in hand, depending on how these key matches go.

12. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Palmeiras 2 x 0 São Paulo .. still in the 1st half

It's like I am watching a completely different team.

13. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Fluminense are now up 5x2 and somehow I have Cano at -0.2 points on Cartola! Unbelievable.

5 goals and he has no goals or assists and one yellow card...

14. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    5 x 0 - FT

Abel finally with some good tactical changes. 4-3-1-2 / 3-5-2 with Endrick and B. Lopes up front. Looked much better. At least against this São Paulo. Abel still felt somehow obligated to sub in Rony midway through 2nd half. SMH

So pissed Abel kept with that idea of playing 2 FBs on the right. Threw the season away.

Ombak repped this.
  15. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    There was a line-up preview yesterday with Endrick on the right and when I saw the actual line-up today I was happy for Endrick, playing alongside another forward and not necessarily out wide.

I should have stuck with my Palmeiras players from last week, in Cartola, but I was hesitant because it was a derby today. I was certainly not expecting 5x0.

Meanwhile, I'm still pissed Fluminense were involved in an 8-goal match but Cano got me -0.60 points!

At any rate. Fluminense move up 3 points, but Atl-MG and Athletico-PR also won, as well as Palmeiras, so all those teams kept their spots. Grêmio could fall to 8th with current results:

Flamengo is beating Grêmio 1x0 at the half right now, with a goal by Everton Cebolinha. A bit of luck for the goal, but it was one of the only concrete chances of the half and he almost wasted it but it bounced back to him and he finished well.

16. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I used to play Yahoo Fantasy EPL back in the day and it made me care about knowing too much about players on most teams. But I spent too much time on that. That's why I don't want to do that again. I also played Yahoo Fantasy La Liga for a few years but that was surprisingly way more unpredictable than EPL. These were the Ronaldo / Ronaldinho years.

17. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    What the hell is going on today ? Goals galore.

Flamengo were up a goal but now its 3 x 2 for Gremio.

Ombak repped this.
  18. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Yeah, I'm content just playing casually, it's just funny when something like that happens. I'm sure if I dug into stats I might have picked one of the other forwards for a match like today's.

Grêmio beat Flamengo 3x2. Fun ending to the match for neutrals, but very frustrating for Flamengo fans. Flamengo tried to manage most of the second half. Didn't really threaten much. Eventually Grêmio's subs started making an impact and they got 3 goals in 10 or 11 minutes.

Flamengo got one back but it was too little too late.

So, from the top 4 teams, Botafogo didn't play, but Bragantino and Flamengo fail to close the gap. Palmeiras close the gap and join Flamengo 9 points behind the leaders.

19. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    This was a pretty good round for Botafogo if they win their game in hand.

20. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Santos beat Coritiba and Vasco lost at Inter, so Santos are out of the relegation zone at the end of this round.

Of course, 9 rounds to go, they have a lot of work to do to stay up.

Amazing to think Corinthians are only 3 points ahead of Santos and only 4 points out of the relegation zone.

Corinthians host Santos this Sunday. Technically it's one of Santos' "easiest" matches left, because of Corinthians placement. The only lower placed team they have left is Goiás. Santos still has to face Botafogo, Flamengo and Athletico-PR away, so they have a very tough road ahead.

21. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Palmeiras beat Bahia 1 x 0 yesterday. Definitely feeling easier about G4 now but we have a pretty tough stretch to finish the season off. Botafogo is up next. Right now they are drawing Cuiaba 0 x 0 at HT.

Corinthians was beating Santos 1 x 0 right until the very end when Santos snatched a point from a PK.

22. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Cuiaba take the lead early in the 2nd half.

23. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Botafogo really putting on the pressure now. Just over 10 mins to go and they are getting more desperate to draw level.

24. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Cuiabá GK has made 2 great late saves to keep Botafogo off the score sheet. Cuiaba missed an incredible chance on the counter to score the 2nd but it doesn't cost them. Cuiabá takes the win.

Botafogo 0 x 1 Cuiabá

25. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Had we beaten Santos and lets say beaten Corinthians instead of Breno Lopes missing that incredible chance, we'd be 1 point from Botafogo with them having a game in hand but the direct game coming up. Ugh ...