Brasil x Argentina, 11 de Outubro de 2014 - Super Clássico das Américas

Discussion in 'Brazil' started by Century's Best, Sep 17, 2014.

1. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Essentially, we are a more efficient Felipao style side. We still foul way too much for my liking.

2. Kaka10725

Kaka10725 Member+

Jun 1, 2007
    What is up with the player that partners Gustavo ends up into a fouling machine. Elias could of been sent off today for all his nonsense.

Also, the first half highlighted how dire we are in possession. I felt Oscar, Tardelli and Neymar were the only players capable in possession.

3. Ozora

Ozora Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 5, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea LFC
  4. Kevin_405

Kevin_405 Member

Jul 30, 2012
    Elias wasn't fouling so much as he was acting like a hothead with the ref. Not sure he is national team material. He was lost in the game, dunga just didn't want to change the dynamics so he avoided a sub long term we need someone else there

5. Kevin_405

Kevin_405 Member

Jul 30, 2012
    This needs to stop asap.. even the sub teams r doing this. Dont know why this has not been addressed by the coach

6. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    @anunesrocha: Não dá para discutir muito a mentalidade do Dunga focada em resultados se ele é criticado ou elogiado com base apenas no placar do jogo.

Spot on. As long as the results are there, the play style will never change.

7. Kaka10725

Kaka10725 Member+

Jun 1, 2007
    Elias is only here because Ramires is injured and that not really a positive either. The midfield is sorely lacking a ball playing central midfielder. Also, Willian based on 3 games under Dunga is a player I rather come off the bench than start. He wasteful as far as creating chances but he causes trouble with his pace and that good against tired defenses.

8. omajac

omajac Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    East Orange, New Jersey, USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

Remember Dunga was the original hard hatchet man!! So the team is in his image!!

9. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    @MatthausSammer , that's how you beat Argentina post-Cup. :p Sorry, it's been so long that my national team gave me a reason to talk. :D

10. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Brasil levou passeio da Argentina até achar o gol - vitória não pode mascarar problemas do time de Dunga. http://t.co/kMOQWahbvr

XaviandXabi repped this.
  11. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Since when does anyone care about friendlies when you can be champions? :D;)
    image.jpg

P to the Wee repped this.
  12. samuel_clemens

Dec 20, 2005
    Los Angeles CA
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I have faith that Dunga will find someone in that position. Around this time in '06 we were still playing Mineiro and Josué in the midfield, then a couple of years later Mello came along and that's when our midfield finally came to life.

13. Andr3sfc

Andr3sfc Member

Jun 30, 2009
    Manaus
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    About the game: business as usual. It's a paternity case.

Century's Best repped this.
  14. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    It makes sense that you as a German would say this. Your team has defeated Argentina fewer times than it has lost, but when it matters, you've won 2 of 3 World Cup finals.

In 2002, some Argentine fans mocked us because we lost our first post-World Cup friendly to Paraguay 1-0 - in Brazil. Our response was in general, "we are the champions of the matches that matter."

MatthausSammer repped this.
  15. ∆lemão

∆lemão Member

Aug 14, 2014
    Terribly ugly low quality game. Solo actions instead of team play, by both sides. Outdated, clumsy football. Unacceptable and embarrassing behavior by the Brazilian players towards the referee. Neymar and his flopping are a joke. Him and Messi only seem to function within their Barcelona environment, backed by a €600 million roster and tailor-made game strategies.

José Maria Marin and his CBF cronies better stop begging the DFB for "revenge" friendlies. Should Germany decide to give a hoot, these games could easily end the same way the last business meeting did.

[​IMG]

16. Brasitusa

Brasitusa Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    May 14, 2014
    Club:
    New York City FC
    #91 Brasitusa, Oct 11, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2014
    I don't understand all the hostility here against our own team. The Argies were upset because they were losing to an inferior team? It's just their chronic and groundless superiority complex. In reality, Brazil today was *vastly* superior to Argentina. Yes, they started hot, but fizzled, and after that, they did not threaten near as much as Brazil did. We were penetrating their defense like a hot knife in butter. They got really lucky that they weren't crushed with a humiliating score, and it's not thanks to any merit from them, but rather because of our sloppy finishing and our players' attempt to try one more thing before shooting on goal. So, sure, sloppy offense, but if not for the poor finishing, this could easily have ended 5-0 for Brazil.

What did Messi do? Nothing as usual, when he plays against the senior Brazilian squad - even missing a penalty. Neymar was bad? No, he wasn't. He had at least three spectacular scoring opportunities, created on his own merit, but then had unlucky finishing. Neymar flopped? No, he was fouled all those times. The flopper was Di Maria diving for a non-existing penalty.

Sure, there are many problems to be fixed, but this game showed a Brazil *clearly* superior to Argentina, no doubt. And everybody who says "it doesn't prove anything; it's just a friendly" fails to realize that Brazil vs. Argentina is *never* a friendly - just look at how many violent fouls were committed against Neymar, and how players were passionate and pressuring the ref (horrible ref, by the way).

So, no, Argentina vs. Brazil is never a friendly, and yes, this game does tell something about these two teams, and it's the third time in a row that Brazil wins the Superclássico das Américas - and yes, this is significant and bodes well for the upcoming Copa América. This tandem Neymar-Tardelli will produce some wonders in the future; mark my words.

You know, any day when Brazil beats Argentina is a good day and instead of celebrating, people here are being very negative towards the Seleção. I don't get it.

This is a team that is playing good defense and dangerous counter-attacks. I think that this team is far from ideal, but these three "friendlies" against three major South American teams, with victories in all three, actually indicates that Dunga might be onto something and maybe we'll get a very good Copa América performance and will win the tournament. Not bad, when you beat three of your main opponents in preparation for the tournament, regardless of the victories being close or regardless of mistakes made and flaws. I mean, the people who should be upset are the ones losing these games (Colombia, Ecuador, Argentina).

OK, we have possession control problems, missed passes, poor offensive finishing, etc.? Sure. But still, we won all three games, and I'll take this any day rather than drawing or losing.

Andr3sfc and astinus4 repped this.
  17. Kaka10725

Kaka10725 Member+

Jun 1, 2007
    Here is the thing with Neymar, majority of the times, he isn't flopping or diving. He is generally fouled and sometimes cynically but the playacting afterwards is cringe worthy. He rolls about 5 or 6 times, he feigns like he seriously injured just to get up perfectly fine after he knows he got the call. I can understand why it upsets people.

18. Kevin_405

Kevin_405 Member

Jul 30, 2012
    South america in general is based on solo action so this is nothing new. Neymar was fouled all day, dont know what game u were watching.
    The only part of ur statement i will agree is the behaviour toward ref.

19. samuel_clemens

Dec 20, 2005
    Los Angeles CA
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    You are way too bitter to be a german fan, tell us where you are really from, boludo :)

celito, astinus4 and MerlinRM repped this.
  20. samuel_clemens

Dec 20, 2005
    Los Angeles CA
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    say what you want about Dunga, I'd much rather have a thug like him than a puss like some of our 2014 guys whose names I won't mention.

celito and MerlinRM repped this.
  21. XaviandXabi

XaviandXabi Member

May 4, 2005
    CT
    "Revenge"? How about some lessons how to run and produce quality players? Every good player coming out of Brazil seems to be a CB or DM.

22. XaviandXabi

XaviandXabi Member

May 4, 2005
    CT
    Did Dunga call him fat at the end? LOL.

23. PapaDoc23

PapaDoc23 Member

Apr 9, 2012
    Brooklyn,New York
    Club:
    Sao Paulo FC
    Saw the game. Was not really impressed. Elias was just out of control. Tardelli played well scored 2 goals. But I do not see him here for the long term. He is 29 years old. He will be 30 next year for the copa america and 2016 for the super duper concacaf/comnebol copa america/gold cup. By 2018 he will be 33. We do not need an aging striker. We have Firminho,Mosquito etc. The central midfiled was still not that great. All in all a win is a win but Dunga will need to get a team ready for Copa America and the 2018 Comnebol qualifying rounds.

24. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    "You know, any day when Brazil beats Argentina is a good day and instead of celebrating, people here are being very negative towards the Seleção. I don't get it."

Brasileiro é chato. ;)

Having said that, here is my the takeaway from this result.

- 3 games, 3 wins. Brazil scored only once against both Colombia and Equador, and now, twice against Argentina. The defense remains unbeaten, and that's never a bad thing - and, given his track record, it's not that surprising, as he built his 2006-2010 squads from the back.

- I have to admit I never thought I would've seen Diego Tardelli as the MOTM against a full-strength Argentina side, but today showed once and for all that he, not Jô, should have been the Atlético Mineiro front man in the World Cup (or at least one of the options off the bench).

- I feel bad for Santos. Robinho was capped, thus depriving Santos of his offensive abilities for 3 games, only for him to be subbed in at 49 minutes of the second half? Kaká at least got some real playing time.

- It's amazing how Messi, for all his incredible talent, sometimes literally disappears. Anybody can miss a penalty kick (Maradona in 1990, Palermo in 1999, Baggio in 1994), and this wasn't the World Cup final. But a quick perusal of Argentina soccer portals show many of their fans angry and frustrated at him for once again "caminhar" the entire match. Neymar, while having failed to score, did much more today. This is why I wrote not too long ago that however impressive his talent, he blew his chance to win the World Cup. He will still be fit to play in 2018, but he'll be past his prime. He carried his team early in the World Cup, he did nothing useful for his team starting in the round of 16 other than converting his PK vs. the Netherlands. He strolled on the pitch while Germany furiously went after each ball and while his teammates took the match far more seriously than he did. Say whatever we want about Neymar's playacting, but in every match in this World Cup, Neymar was playing as if every match was the last of his career.

- It may be my bias talking, but when results like this happen, with the Argentines feeling the psychological blow of Brazil scoring against them after they've made good attempts at scoring, I can't help but wonder if at least some of them have some kind of trauma against us. Not all of them were part of the teams that lost many times to us from 2004 to 2009, but other than that qualifier in their country in 2005 and 2 friendlies after the 2010 World Cup, we've generally owned them.

- Had Brazil had the player selections Dunga has opted for in the past 3 games during the World Cup, plus him in the dugout, Brazil might still have lost to Germany. But there's no way in hell the team would've lost the way it did. I still think Tite would've been the logical choice, but Dunga wasn't an altogether bad pick. Of the 3 senior-level tournaments Brazil played with him, he won 2, and he also led Brazil to 1st place in World Cup qualifying for 2010. This is why I agree with you that Dunga's return gives us hope for next year's Copa América - although it's still very early.

- The match vs. Japan should be interesting - Dunga played for Jubilo Iwata during 3 years; I assume he speaks decent Japanese, and Brazilian soccer is huge in Japan (our players & coaches working there, the many Japanese-Brazilians who move there and went to our games during the 2002 World Cup, etc).

- I love how the Argentines pummeled Neymar... and still lost.

- I predict this will not be the only Brazil win against Argentina during Dunga's second tenure as manager.

- Messi doesn't like Kaká touching his hair... :D

25. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    By the way, yesterday Brazil's U-23 team defeated Bolivia (senior national team) 3-1 and while I saw no highlights, the team supposedly played well. Those of you who are familiar with the youth squad... do any deserve consideration for the senior squad? It's great that we won today, but we need to look to the 2015 Copa América and to the 2018 World Cup. These kids may be worth a look, especially as several of them will be part of the 2016 Olympic team.