Bradley: Staying American

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by purojogo, Aug 23, 2006.

1. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    No, it's not simplistic at all.

Nowak is coaching a superior squad that is playing a superior ball.

Bradley is coaching a squad just as talented on paper that's dragging considerably behind DCU's pace and is playing a typical MLS ball.

2. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fixed your post. And yes, it is simplistic. I assume you will not be shilling for coaches that were failures in their most recent gigs then?

3. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    By the same token, i keep thinking and thinking, and when i look at the creativity on his team, that i see two players of the kind whom you might not find this very instant at USMNT level (Moreno and Gomez) and one who might end up not playing for the Nats (Adu)....

If we go from the POV that a lot of the creativity aspect is not necessarily "coached" into players the way other things could be, how would a supposed Peter do as NT coach without the luxury of these aforementioned players...Who would he call to take their place? And would it take him a long time to make his system work? Since, unlike club level, we need to find -for the USMNT- some chemistry a tad more quickly than what MLS allows during its regular season....

4. Milhouse

Milhouse Member

Dec 29, 1998
    Clifton, NJ
    I can not believe what I am reading. You guys are making things up. Bradley is talking about American bred coaches and you immediately think it is a conspiracy to get his brother into the national team.

You guys rip on Italians for conspiracy theories for losing games and fixing matches, but this stuff is purly insane. Give the guy a break. He is one of the few actual GOOD soccer writers in this country and he doesn't do it to make money.

Maybe you guys would think differently if you were around from the start of the league.

USSF should have a nice long list of candidates ranging from Klinsman to CAP to Nowak to Sigi to anyone who can improve the program. If you do not agree with it, then too bad. Here is another tidbit. USSF is not known for paying coaches a ton of money. Arena is making more money with the Red Donkeys.

More than likely someone will be hired that you do not want anyway.

And when did Sigi become scraping the bottom of the barrel? Did you not see what he did in LA? Are Lalas and Wynalda infecting your brains?

5. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    But he's also got Esky, Carroll and Olsen taking bombs and running/passing into the open space and, btw, Peter's playing a more Euro style of the game that is not necessarily close to the slower possession style game that the Bolivians play. The Argentines are closer but Gomez played a lot slower when he first came to the league as well.

So, to me, DCU is a successful fusion of many different styles, that may come in handy with some USMNT members playing in England, some in Holland, some in Germany, some in the US.

6. Via_Chicago

Via_Chicago Member

Apr 1, 2004
    Bay Area, California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I should note that my satirical take on Bradley's article and my comment that Jeff was trying to get his brother the job was all rather tongue-in-cheek. Ultimately, in satirizing Jeff Bradley's shockingly xenophobic rant, I tried to point out that America's situation not only isn't so bad, but that the USSF should be looking for the best candidate, regardless of nationality or familiarity with this near-mythical "American System." Jeff Bradley should be ashamed of what he wrote, not only because of its hyperbolic, reactionary, and pedestrian prose, but because it's completely counter-intuitive.

7. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe. But last year in this exact same fixture that DCU has tomorrow, it sure didn't look like Moreno, Gomez or Adu were anywhere near the quinissential USMNT player.

8. szazzy

szazzy Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Which makes one thinks he writes it for emotional reasons. His family. I hope he's just trying to get Bob the job instead of him actually believing this tripe. I'd respect him more.

9. Milhouse

Milhouse Member

Dec 29, 1998
    Clifton, NJ
    If he wrote that you would be all over him for it. For some reasons the boards have deteriorated into making false claims.

If Bradley thinks we need an American bred coach, then fine. You do not have to agree, but to accuse him of having an agenda is a bit weak just because you disagree.

In all seriousness, he may be refering to Nowak, Klinsman, Yallop and the rest. The only one I can see being an outsider is Klinsman, since he just lives in the US and has never coached the players or actually played here like the others have.

This is an important hire for USSF, but let's not just annoint the "next great thing" our new coach. Look at what that did to the Metros.

10. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But the fact itself that of the Americans Olsen and Carrol (neither of whom in my opinion belong on the NAts/world soccer picture) tells me that MLS is not nearly as strong as it should and will get in the future...so i do not know whether to ascribe to Peter the success for really making Carrol and/or Olsen so good in MLS, or if it's really a matter of lacking opposition that puts up a stronger fight in midfield.... In the end, regardless, i really do think that in midfield it is more the work of Gomez and Adu that make the difference creativity-wise, where the USMNT is lacking the most .....or scoring (covered in part by Moreno) and where also the NAtional team is hurting....

I still want to follow Esky's development as he is young and had a year off du to concussions... benefit of the doubt and all that...

Anyway, I feel that perhaps Peter is better served gaining a year or two more experience in MLS... Arena had the same amount of experience, coaching DC a few years .... and that did not take us far this last time out..... Although Bob, Sigi, and a couple of others do not inspire confidence in me either to be quite honest...I guess if it came down to an MLS coach, it should be be either Peter or Yallop.....

11. Via_Chicago

Via_Chicago Member

Apr 1, 2004
    Bay Area, California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Could you please do us all a favor and tell us who the "you" is you're talking about. No need for straw men, right?

12. Milhouse

Milhouse Member

Dec 29, 1998
    Clifton, NJ
    I was talking about the person who said they would respect him more if he wrote something about wanting his brother to get the job.

I was not talking about you. I should have quoted the post first. Sorry about that.

13. szazzy

szazzy Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    I hope those were his intentions with this crap article rather than the alternative, not that he would blatantly pimp his brother for the job in an article. Don't put words in my mouth. If he wrote that it would be crap too.

Everyone knows his brother is usually considered the top "American bred" coach outside of Arena. Who else is he talking about? Sarachan? Ellinger? psssh. Not anytime soon. Gansler's not "American bred" and already had the job. Neither's Sigi if you're actually entertaining that thought for some reason. It's Bob Bradley he's talking about.

14. Milhouse

Milhouse Member

Dec 29, 1998
    Clifton, NJ
    "American bred" doesn't mean the person has to be born in the US. Maybe you are thinking of American bread.

15. szazzy

szazzy Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Bred does mean the offspring of, though you're right I did misread his use of it as he qualifies it later with (born or bred). He was using it more as born from the USSF good ol boys club, but still qualifies that being born here would make someone better qualified to coach the USMNT (a crap opinion). Maybe that leaves Sigi, possibly Gansler, but this still rules out coaches like Nowak, Nicol etc. It used to be that they had to "know the American player". Now it's they have to be "raised by American coaches". It's still seems obvious that he's trying to place his brother above other candidates for the job based on the premise that he's more American.

16. skippy

skippy Member

Nov 17, 1999
    Alexandria, Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe he's thinking of an "American band."

17. Milhouse

Milhouse Member

Dec 29, 1998
    Clifton, NJ
    It's not obvious at all that he is pimping his brother. How is Nowak not in this made up good ol' boys network. He played for Bradley in Chicago and they seem to be good friends when they play each other.

You are looking too much into something that is obviously not there. You seem to hate Bradley for some reason. Did he write something bad about your beloved Wiz or something?

His opinion is not total crap. He has stated that there are challenges in the US and that someone from this country (not neccessarily born here, but from) may have a better understanding of them. That is 100% true. How would Klinsman feel having to scout a Guatemala or Grenada? We do not know this, so that is a risk. A domestic coach (new term introduced to further clarify this discussion) may be a safer bet even though it may be unpopular.

You want to have a foreigner come in and not care and just collect a paycheck? I am not saying they will do this, but those are the risks. Just watch old MetroStars games for proof that it can happen.

It really is a shame that we can not put a list together of realistic candidates aside from throwing out names of people who may or may not be interested.

What if Klinsman really wants a break? Even if he didn't, what if his price is just too high to USSF? Then what?

The other thing with MLS coaches is that teams are not as consistent as they are in other leagues (not a slight at MLS here). So when a coach like Sigi goes from LA to the Crew, everyone just criticizes him for poor results. He inherited a mess of a team and needs to rebuild in the worst way. If the team still resembles that in four years and can not make the playoffs, then I can understand it.

What happens if the Crew makes the playoffs and wins in the first round? Then does Sigi become a candidate?

We have to stop looking at the flavor of the month and the right coach needs to be added.

18. szazzy

szazzy Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    I have no problem with Bob Bradley. I think he is the best American coach out there who is a candidate for the job. I would have him as coach of the Wizards right now. I have a problem with Jeff Bradley writing something so based on half-truths and ridiculousness. Like I've said continuously, I hope his brother was the reason he wrote this.

If they hire a foreign coach and he does any of the things you suggest, then they've hired the wrong guy. That's part of finding the best guy for the job. You want to find someone who will take the job seriously and be able to elevate your program.

Automatically ruling out whole sections of coaching candidates based on the fact that someone isn't American (by however you choose to define it), and therefore won't be able to identify and coach talent is stupid. It's stupid.

19. deron

deron New Member

Jul 25, 2006
    Centennial, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know if this is true for Szazzy, but I suspect it's true for a lot of posters... Once Bradley disagreed with the assertion that the US needs a big name foreign coach this thread was written.

20. Milhouse

Milhouse Member

Dec 29, 1998
    Clifton, NJ
    You are 100% right about the hiring process. I agree with you. Bradley wrote a column, which is opinion, and he said they should go with an American bred coach. I think that is an understandable stance. We may not agree with him all the way, but I think it is valid. I do not think he was promoting his brother. You are just making stuff up there and trying to make it a fact. That happens too much on the boards these days.

In the end, none of us want a loafer of a coach. I hear these names of people and wonder if any of them have seen an MLS match. Do they just know DMB and LD?

The US team needs a lot of work with guys like Reyna, McBride and Pope retiring. Can a foreigner be committed to finding the new pieces?

We are all going to see what happens soon, but until then let's keep our discussions realistic and not make stuff up.

What I can not believe is that it is taking this long to figure out who the coach is. I know there are no games coming up, but are we the only nation without a coach right now?

Even if we do not have a coach, there is no news at all about who is being interviewed.

21. Milhouse

Milhouse Member

Dec 29, 1998
    Clifton, NJ
    I was just having some fun with szazzy, but there are some people who post on some boards here that make you wonder if someone ran over their kitten. It's soccer not curing cancer.

22. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nope. In fact, over the last couple of years, I think you would find that generally most BSers enjoy Bradley's articles and respect his knowledge of the game (including myself). However, I found in the last year or so that I do tend to disagree with his articles more. Is there a problem with him being critized? Although, I don't agree that he is indirectly pimping for his brother.

My point (stated in several threads) is that the selection should be the best coach available whether American or foreign. I disagree with those who are in the camp that say "Has to be American" or "Has to be foreign".

Prior to the last couple of years, my unscientific view (I.e. I hate polls) was that the majority of people wanted the next coach to be American. After the 2006 WC, there seems to be a change or acceptance that it's "OK" to have a foreign coach, and maybe even preferable...

23. Milhouse

Milhouse Member

Dec 29, 1998
    Clifton, NJ
    Great point here. I think that is very true and when you look at teams that have done well in the World Cup and surprised, they have had foreigners. On the other hand, the teams that have won the World Cup or made the finals have had domestic coaches. Not sure if that really means anything.

We can all romanticize about having a top notch foreign coach (Lippi anyone?), but who knows how seriously they will take the job. Again, look at Metro.

24. szazzy

szazzy Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Like that this is in any way a proper value system?

That means Bradley or anyone else who is American-born, would be the best option, and THEN to American "bred" coaches (which we disagree on who exactly that includes).

That to me still says Bradley (or Sarachan or whoever else is not realistically being looked at) should get more of a look than Novak or Nicol based on the fact that he's American born.

25. Milhouse

Milhouse Member

Dec 29, 1998
    Clifton, NJ
    I have no idea what you are reading. I am trying to be nice to you here, but seriously. YOU JUST QUOTED IT AND YOU ARE NOT ACTUALLY READING IT!

If not American born, then American bred. Yeah, a coach who coaches here. How about that? Nowak, Yallop, Nicol all coach here. What is the problem?

Forget it, you just want to see what you want. You have no basis and are just spewing to create an argument that is not there.