Bracelets?

Discussion in 'Referee' started by nsa, Sep 30, 2003.

1. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

Check out this and other pix of Canada from the Japan game. The players are all wearing yarn bracelets on the wrists.

I heard the story from Charmaine Hooper. After the first two games the team had several meetings. At one they took a whole ball of yarn and unwound it so that all players were connected by it. The players then cut their segments of the skein and made bracelets so that they maintained their connection to their teammates.

I have made dozens, if not hundreds of kids take off (or cut) these things because of rigid rules that stipulate "No jewelry" and classify these things as jewelry. Maybe I have to rethink my position.

2. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A non-issue as I see it!

While technically jewelry. It's not metallic and since we are talking about professional soccer players. There is much more latitude given their skill level. Since they are tight to the wrist I see very little potential injury to another player. perhaps you could get your finger caught or jammed?

3. AvidSinger

AvidSinger New Member

Sep 6, 2002
    Massachusetts
    I've seen photos of professional footballers still wearing their wedding bands while playing. The decision is really up to the ref. Typically, I make players either remove their rings or cover them with tape.

4. Tame Lion

Tame Lion New Member

Oct 10, 2002
    Southern California
    #5 (front, far right) also appears to have a necklace. Are you rethinking that, too?

I think that you have it right without changing your opinion.

5. jc508

jc508 New Member

Jan 3, 2000
    Columbus, Ohio area
    To me, jewelry is the Las Vegas of refereeing.

If you allow someone to wear a bracelet that is snug and tight to the wrist, you are probably betting on black or red on the roulette table.

If you are allowing a loose bracelet to be worn, you may be betting on a certain number to win, making your chances of losing better.

Whether the jewelry is metal or elastic or string, if an injury is caused, you may be at the mercy of that player's parents whether to sue you or not. It could be the player who wore the item or the player who was injured. On their side they have a strong ally in the first sentence of Law 4.

I don't think that saying that another ref allowed the law to be violated and had not problem would be a great defense. Hope you never have to put your theory to a test in a court of law.

6. Pokeden

Pokeden New Member

Jul 20, 2003
    The LAW says no jewelry. Any Referee that allows this is going against the Laws. Our association will suspend a Referee who allows players to where anything that is not considered part of the uniform: metal or not, taped or not! Suspension up to the extent of NO games ever!

Yes, this still institutes the danger to a player or others.
    RE: "the other Referee let me": I am NOT that Referee, and I say....

Consistency: Referee needs to remain consistent in administering the Laws.
    Common sense: would you want the law suit? Even if there were no injuries, it is still against the laws.

Do you let the players dictate the LAWs of the game?Where do you draw the line?

7. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Again we have to distinguish between the youth and recreational leagues from professional soccer players and leagues. Look the issue of players at the professional level wearing jewelry has been going on since I can remember. Referees are tolerant of it. To speculate and say they are wrong given the LOTG is comparing apples to oranges. If it was such an issue FIFA would not allow the players to wear the jewelry. Particularly at the World Cup.

8. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Witness Gulbrandsen's taped ears.

9. GoHawks4

GoHawks4 Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A lot of us wear hemp things around our wrists on the pitch and we've never had a ref make any of us take them off.

10. Scott Zawadzki

Feb 18, 1999
    Midlothian, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You've obviously nevers played in Central Massachusetts! :)

BTW nat. I caught the last 30 minutes or so of the US game last night and saw the gob of white tape over the ears and cringed!

Scott

11. SparkeyG

SparkeyG Member

Feb 25, 2002
    Mokena, IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It get's really bad when you have to ask one of your AR's to remove her jewelry. Esp, when you notice it after checking in the players.

12. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's happened to me at a tournament. A young referee had an earring. I asked him after the match to think about the issue of credibility with players that he demands remove jewelry while he still referees with an earring or two.

13. AvidSinger

AvidSinger New Member

Sep 6, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Well, what about all those CR's who wear wristwatches? ;)

14. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    Please don't. I suspect since it's such a high level there is pressure on the refs to let stuff like this slide. Silly really cuz someone will get hurt at some point & it's easily avoidable.

15. jc508

jc508 New Member

Jan 3, 2000
    Columbus, Ohio area
    While I don't agree with the taped ear rings or the string bracelets, I may be able to tolerate it.

However, did anyone see the loop ear ring in the upper outside part of the Brazilian goal keeper's left ear? I could just imagine that getting ripped out!

16. Craig the Aussie

Craig the Aussie New Member

May 21, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    The LAW says anything DANGEROUS, including jewellery. What is dangerous is ITOOTR.

It would be a lot easier if the LAW did say (as many other sports rules do) that all forms of jewellery are completely and utterly banned - but until it does the inconsistency and argument will go on.

17. Crowdie

Crowdie New Member

Jan 23, 2003
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Just use common sense. If the jewellery is likely to endanger the player or other players then have the player remove the jewellery or cover it.

You can't always get a player to remove jewellery because:

i) The player may not be able to physically remove the item
    ii) The jewellery has religious or cultural significance

Crowdie

18. MPJ334

MPJ334 New Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Chelsea,New York, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ;) the only thing i'd wear (other than my watches) would be a wedding band. as that i'm 16, i don't have one. mom said to say i'm married to my class ring and keep it on, but i convinced her that i do what i'm supposed to and how it's supposed to be done (now if i can just get her to understand the point of offside)

19. GlennAA11

GlennAA11 Member+

Jun 12, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    At the beginning of the MLS season I seem to remember a crackdown on jewelry. But the enforcement of that appears to have gone completely out the window as the season has progressed.

As to referees or AR's wearing jewelry...c'mon. The reason we prohibit players from wearing jewelry is that it could dangerous to themselves or to the other players they are colliding with. How does an AR wearing an earring endanger the players? This seems a bit silly to me. How does that have any effect on anyone's "credibility"?

20. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

In this instance he was the referee not the AR and while he does not pose a risk to the players, there is always a risk of getting hit by the ball particularly with youth players and having to stop the match to administer first aid. Remember that blood is now a major issue and referees could pose a risk to players if bleeding.

21. AAGunner3

AAGunner3 Member

Feb 14, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jewelry...

I've been tough on players wearing jewelry. That being said, jewelry as defined by Webster's is "objects of precious metal often set with gems and worn for personal adornment." I can easily see the danger of wearing metal or stone adornments.

The danger of the little friendship braclets and a string neclaces are very slim. Do we make our rec players play without their glasses too? Hmmm, I wonder which is more dangerous? I'd bet on the blind soccer player being more of a hazard than his glasses.

I see no problem with string adornments.