Boycott the USMNT

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Grok, Nov 21, 2016.

1. Grok

Grok Member

Oct 6, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I've been a fairly neutral poster when it comes to the USMNT, but we've come to a point where the USMNT has become an embarrassment under Jurgen Klinsmann. It appears that Sunil will support him to the bitter end, so I think that the future lies in our hands,.Boycott all related to the USMNT as a way to force change.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  2. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nah. Stick to the team thru good times and bad times. During the bad times cheer the players on twice as hard.

3. AutoPenalti

AutoPenalti Am I famous yet?

Sep 26, 2011
    Coconut Creek
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No. I love this team enough where I can't even think of boycotting them because they have such a shit leader.

4. SpencerNY

SpencerNY Member+

Dec 1, 2001
    Up in the skyway
    Wouldn't have any effect anyways. It wouldn't surprise me if 75% of our fans never heard of BS.
    When I've met US fans who go to far more games than I do I'm surprised at how little they know about our players.

CU soccer and ttrevett repped this.
  5. FLaves

FLaves Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I think the trajectory away from college soccer, the focus on over seas, and emphasis on academy players is not showing a positive return on investment from prior/recent historical performances. I do like college soccer and want the US/MLS players succeed. JK would claim that the fans are not smart enough, and US soccer is not patient enough. At the end of the day, I am definitely losing interest. I have to admit that USWNT boycotts (isolated) of the National Anthem made me scratch my head and focus elsewhere for soccer. This is probably contributing to my increasingly apathetic view of the USMNT.

I find myself watching more European soccer to get away from the politics of US soccer. I usually just want to watch a good game, and even though the European leagues have their own politics, I am less aware of the issues. Ignorance is bliss... I guess this is a form of boycott:unsure:

6. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep, I agree. I have called for a boycott of NT games on other threads, but I agree with you that it would be very difficult to get a significant percentage of fans to follow and would just lead to probably about 10-15% fewer American fans, nothing that would make a dent in the gate.

7. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You guys don't get the big picture, sacrifice interest in the present, for an increased amount along with the betterment of the program long-term.

But the other folks here are probably right in the sense that the majority of fans who go to games are casuals who don't know any better (that's who are keeping him in the job, the people who know better are the ones who want him out), and how much lower can our attendances get? They haven't forced a change yet. Gulati is hyper-invested financially and emotionally to this direction. There's something seriously effed up with the accountability structure at USS if this leads to missing the World Cup and Sunil still maintains his job.

8. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Boycott over boys! can put the paper bags away!

Pl@ymaker, russ and THENEWTREASURY repped this.
  9. THENEWTREASURY

Aug 23, 2016
    Club:
    AC Milan
  10. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apparently the bitter end has come...

http://www.espnfc.com/united-states...-fires-national-team-manager-jurgen-klinsmann

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  11. iggymcfly

iggymcfly Member

Jun 20, 2014
    I'm tempted to boycott the USMNT now for firing the best manager we've ever had. Might be a loooong time until we get back to the R16 at the World Cup now.

12. Roger Allaway

Roger Allaway Member+

Apr 22, 2009
    Warminster, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    JK is only one of five different managers under whom we've gotten past the group stage of the World Cup. It's not as though he took us to some height where we'd never been before.

13. FUAEG

FUAEG Member+

Oct 18, 2005
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well Done!

Grok, Bubba1971 and OWN(yewu)ED repped this.
  14. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Frankly,

Brooks
    Fabian
    Chandler
    AJ
    Jones
    CCV

should consider boycotting the manager who doesn't believe they're American.

CCV should now strongly consider giving England a go.

15. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yes I am so sure Brooks or Fabian (mexico playoff) will boycott the new manager who has yet to throw him under the bus or belittle them in front of the media.

Nor is there even a hairline of indication that we wont call up CCV or Jones again. Chandler and AJ, believe me when I say we lose absolutely nothing.

you really are a riot bro, anti American, that's some strawman of the gods right there.

Scissorkick Collins repped this.
  16. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're better then this.
    Don't turn into an iggysky.

17. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I posted his exact quote. It's anti-American to the core.

If you want to ignore it that's your prerogative. If you support that viewpoint, that's your choice. But a strawman it is not.

18. Bubba1971

Bubba1971 Member+

Nov 12, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wait, they already fired Bruce Arena? That was quick, they gave that smug German idiot way longer.

Marko72 and OWN(yewu)ED repped this.
  19. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Oh, let's be honest. You are not now nor were you ever really a US fan, where you?

20. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Including every single post-1990 manager we've had except for Steve Sampson.

21. Dignan

Dignan Member+

Nov 29, 1999
    Granada
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mission Accomplished!!!

Best Boycott Ever!

Grok repped this.
  22. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    This thread is adorable.

23. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

A. Johansson? He was born in Georgia right?

[​IMG]

Grok repped this.
  24. UnitedBorn

UnitedBorn Member+

Dec 7, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I support the movement.

I promise to not watch any USMNT games for the rest of the year ;)