Boston Red Sox, 2004. World Series Champions. No R Needed.

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by ProfZodiac, Aug 31, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    Re: Boston Red Sox 2004, Thread Three [R]

This one ain't looking good. That ninth inning was a disaster. Get out of the 10th and we should be okay, I hope.

2. johnh00

johnh00 Member

Apr 25, 2001
    CT, USA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

This is painful. We've got noone left in the lineup who can hit besides Manny. Damned defensive replacements kill you.

Lee

3. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA

It turned out well, thanks to Cabrera's jack, about 4 seconds after Dave O Brien said if he were to end it, it would come on the game's 400th pitch. JACK! Gone! Now we need Lowe to become Dangerous Derek again and give us 7-8 innings.

BTW, this trading places thing on Baseball Tonight is cool.

4. GPK

GPK BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 5, 1999
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

My wife won the lottery for playoff tickets!!

Wooohooo!

5. RedDevil13

RedDevil13 New Member

Apr 20, 2004
    Illinois USA

Wow congratulations, hopefully good seats.

6. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA

We're ********ed. Even a sweep of NY won't do anything. At least I can go to the Rockies game tomorrow night and not scoreboard watch too much. I have no faith in this team right now. ********. At least Ellis Burks is in the game.

7. ProfZodiac

ProfZodiac Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Ortiz nearly made this game the best game of the season, but it fell about five feet short.

I'm about ready to concede the division. But no matter. New York can have fun with Minnesota, as far as I'm concerned.

8. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA

The problem with your theory is, unless the AL West Champ passes Minny in wins, we start out with Minny. Man I'd be happy facing the AL West champ first.

9. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002

Absolutely. It's really weird spending the rest of the season hoping the A's win and the Twins lose. Very strange.

10. christopher d

christopher d New Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Weehawken, NJ

OK Red Sox Nation. I'm not trolling this time, just want to know something. Last year, Grady Little was run out of town on a rail for not taking Pedro Martinez out of a game. This year, (tonight, actually) Francione (sp?) takes out Martinez after he looks tired, and he's roundly booed. What's the deal?

11. DoctorJones24

DoctorJones24 Member

Aug 26, 1999
    OH

It seems completely consistent to me. Basically, Francona made EXACTLY the same mistake we saw Little make last year. What's that about "fool me once?" Now, I'm not saying it was an easy call, but I didn't want him coming out for the 8th tonight...I thought he looked gassed as early as the 6th. And it wasn't like he had no-hit stuff anyway.

12. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA

It's all ********ing irrelevant. The Twins are gonna kick the ********ing ******** out of us anyway. Four games tops. It was fun while it was lasted, now we only need about 3 starters for next year. ********.

13. Levante

Levante Member+

Jul 28, 2001

You actually put it more mildy than I would.

Seriously...........you ran Little out of town last year. What will you do now?

14. christopher d

christopher d New Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Weehawken, NJ

Gotcha. So it was booing because it came too late, yet again, rather than too early (or right on time, imho. I thought he still looked good into the 7th). The announcers made it sound like the mood of the crowd was much like Martínez's: don't take him out. Thanks.

15. christopher d

christopher d New Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Weehawken, NJ

I don't buy it. You guys have much too much post-season experience to lose to freaking Minnesota. Nope, as much as it's going to give me ulcers, it's going to be Yankees - Red Sox for the AL pennant, again.

16. B1

B1 Member

Feb 19, 1999
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Don't see the Twins or the A's (my bold prediction to win the West now that they've strecthed their lead) beating us or the Yankees. I think the Twins, while a good team are the team a this years outsider du jour. Every year some team is hyped a being "scary". This year it's the Twins. Santana is having a phenomonal year no doubt, but he'll be matched up with Schilling who is having an equally great year. Neyer mentioned in his running blog on ESPN the Twins run scoring ability. They play in the worst division in the American league, a division where every team has giving up more the 800 runs and they've only scored 749. The Sox have 140 more. So, no I'm scared by the Twins, and Oakland, hah, we own them.

So I see it Sox-Yanks in the ALCS. Now going by the last few series with them, this is the one I'm afraid of. I'd like to see the Sox take the next two games just to get a little confidence back that they can beat these guys. If they do win the next two that makes the Yanks-Twins series really interesting in regards to who plays who. If the Sox are only 3.5 back when that series starts and A's & Twins are tied or close then it creates all kinds of match ups. Like if the Twins sweep or take two, the division is back in play for the Sox and the Twins will likely have the 2nd spot and play the WC winner. Or if the Yanks take two or three that most likely will cause them to face the Twins again in LDS.

17. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA

B1 I hope you're right. It's not just Santana that scares me about Minny, it's the Dome, where the Sox NEVER play well. Radke's pitching real well too, but he's not half as scary as Santana. I'd rather see them in a 7 game series than a five game though, where the Sox' depth could take over a bit more easily. The Yankees scare me because of the mental block that has to be in the Sox' heads as much as their team itself. They always find a way to get it done.

BTW I was thrilled to hear Schilling call WEEI and start telling people off. He's got it right as far as trying to change the culture goes.

18. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA

I feel better about the Sox tonight. Barring a complete collapse, this gives them the regular season series, and they knocked Quantrill around a bit to start the eighth from what I've implied from MLB.com. Time to get ready for the post-season.

19. B1

B1 Member

Feb 19, 1999
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Sox clinch a playoff spot! Regardless of what happens in the Texas-Anaheim game Sox clinch because due to the head to head matchups in the West it's impossible for two of those teams to reach the 94 wins the Sox now have. This was a strange game. Kazmir was completely shutting the Sox down. He had pitched 3 1/3 of no-hit ball. Then he hits Manny with a payback pitch for Arroyo hitting two D-Rays. Both benches get warned and then the next batter Millar gets plunked. So Kazmir gets ejected. This kid looks like he's going to be a great pitcher, so you can blame this stupidity on his youth (20). Having seen him pitch against the Sox makes me realize how dumb the Mets are. They traded this kid and others for Zambrano?!? They'll regret that deal soon. So after Kazmir goes out the Sox pulled out the big lumber and launched 4 moon shots. 7-3 final, Sox in the playoffs!

20. biggyv

biggyv Member

May 18, 2000
    PGH PA

I think the Mets already regret that deal. That's why they're the Mets.

21. ProfZodiac

ProfZodiac Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Magic number is 2.5. Yankees have a twinbill with Minnesota today, and the BoSox have Pedro on the mound against the hapless D-Rays.

We could be one game back by the end of the night.

22. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA

Cancel that. NY beats the Twins bullpen and Pedro appears to be getting hit around a bit. Oh well get the rotation set and start praying.

23. ProfZodiac

ProfZodiac Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Y'know, before today's game I tried to justify having Pedro go Game One next week. I don't think I can do that anymore. That's three straight ******** starts.

It's like the Red Sox don't want the division.

24. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002

Santana is having a much better year, will definitely win the Cy Young, and has been unhittable for several months.

25. B1

B1 Member

Feb 19, 1999
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I think Santana deserves the Cy Young, he's been great. I'm just not ready to concede a loss just because he's starting, especially if he's up against Schilling. Also, thanks to that Yankee sweep of the Twins, the only way we face them in the first round is if they sweep the Indians, and neither Oakland or Anaheim pull off a sweep. All three are at 90-69. The A's and Angel's each hold the tiebreaker over the Twins for seeding due to their head to head records.