Borussia M-gladbach - Kasey Keller related

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by sidefootsitter, Jul 5, 2005.

1. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
  2. wolfsburgh

wolfsburgh Member

Aug 6, 2001
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ramovic was 4th string by the end of the 04-05 season, behind Keller, Melka and Kampa, so he really wasn't much a threat to Keller. Just a guy who the club did not want to pay anymore. Helveg is the third defender Borussia has signed, in addition to Bogelund, a 24-year old Dane from PSV and Jose Antonio dos Silva (god knows that he actually goes by), a 27-year old from Academico in Portugal. They were also heavily involved in the chase for a Japanese defender, but the guy apparently re-upped with his club in Japan. Central defense was a real priority for the club this offseason; if any of these guys work out, it will help Keller a good bit.

3. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    What will happen to Moore and Strasser?

As you said, that central D was atrocious.

4. wolfsburgh

wolfsburgh Member

Aug 6, 2001
    Pittsburgh, PA
    They really were bad. It's a tribute to Keller that he managed to post as many clean sheets as he did. Moore is gone--Advocaat brought this former Rangers player in, and when Advocaat left, Moore decided he did not want to stick around, so by mutual agreement, his contract was terminated. Strasser is still with the club. Strasser had a few good games late in the season, but was generally poor all season. Personally, I don't think he is a bad player, but he is miscast as a regular, everyday central defender. His value is more as a utility player, a defensive all-arounder who can fill in at a variety of positions and give you a reasonably proficient performance. I hope that is how he is used this upcoming season.

When I mentioned the three new acquisitions, I should have also included Oude Kamphuis from Schalke. I sort of think of him as a MF, but he will probably figure in the battle for defensive starting spots.