Borough Boys Issue Statement RE: MLS Expansion

Discussion in 'New York City FC' started by Mr.Smartypants, May 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Potowmack

Potowmack Member+

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And I'm not even sure why people complain about this. MLS allows teams 8 international slots (plus whatever they trade for). If NYCFC wants to use those slots on players associated with Man City, so what?

2. citysoccer83

citysoccer83 Member

Jan 28, 2011
    I believe many have already covered this argument but if your point was to somehow prove that you follow this news more than I do than so be it, I concede. But I Think you failed to grasp my point. That whether its young Mancity players or retired Mancity players, if the team is made up of manly Mancity players that cannot make the Mancity squad then it's a shame. Like I said, one or two here and there is fine, but the last thing NYC needs is a Mancity B team.

Not sure why some people fail to grasp this. Don't dynamo fans get upset about the resources that are used for the galaxy as they are owned by the same owners? Well how would thy like it if the dynamo players were actually reserve players for the galaxy and a 40 yo beckham, keane, and Donovan? Same league, dont like that analogy? How about if a Japanese baseball team decides to start a new team in the MLB and field the team with young kids from their minor league team and old ex-players how do you think the fans would feel in that MLB city? Glad that they have a team? Or a little upset that the team looks more like a Japanese baseball teams B squad?

3. looknohands

looknohands Member+

Apr 23, 2009
    Louisville, KY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your fears would be much more realistic if it wasn't for the pesky little roster rules that determine the amount of foreign players an MLS squad can have. Absolute worst-case scenario (assuming ManCity doesn't go out and buy all of the best US players) is that they would send seven or eight non-US players to NYCFC...which isn't even a quarter of the maximum roster.

1. A ManCity B team would probably run away with MLS Cup.
    2. The intent isn't to dump players that can't cut it with the senior squad onto NYCFC; at no point in time has ManCity even remotely suggested that they'd try this approach. That said, most any player on ManCity's reserve squad could walk straight onto an MLS side.

I don't think anyone feels bad for Houston, given the success they've had.

If they were winning, I doubt fans would care much at all.

kiro2317 repped this.
  4. citysoccer83

citysoccer83 Member

Jan 28, 2011
    If they were winning, I doubt fans would care much at all.[/quote]
    I could go through this entire post and point out where i think you're wrong and where you are putting words in my mouth but I can see we just aren't gonna agree on anything in the end. Good talk.

5. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. chapka

chapka Member+

May 18, 2004
    Haverford, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So...since Cheshire Today claims Gareth Barry might play for them, that means the new team will be made of mostly Man City players? Isn't one player signing for one year--which is all we've seen even the barest hint of--pretty clearly within your safety zone of "one or two here and there"?

Gareth Barry is also white. Should we be concerned that his (rumored) signing is a sign that the entire squad will be white? Should we be railing against NYCFC's policy of racial exclusion?

Or should we, you know, wait until the team actually signs a few players and see what it looks like then?

looknohands, Roger Allaway and aetraxx7 repped this.
  7. BradDavis

BradDavis Member

Mar 30, 2011
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Why don't you just support the Red Bulls??? I'm not knocking you, but I'm always curious as to the reason why more people don't come over?? Its very easy to get to from Penn and or the Path stations?? We always welcome new fans.. I'm just curious is all..

8. chcl3

chcl3 New Member

Jul 7, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I could never get into Red Bull after it switched from Metro. I know it was just a simple name change but it felt a bit off putting that a team would change its whole history to just be just another Red Bull team (Red Bull Salzburg, Red Bull Brasil, Red Bull Ghana, Red Bull New York, etc). Also I have never been into teams in NJ using NY names (one of the reasons I don't watch American Football). If anything I would have preferred them to use the clunky NY/NJ name since it felt a bit more honest to me.

However I can definitely feel your animosity towards NYCFC. I am a huge Knicks fan and how I see the Brooklyn Nets becoming a competitor against them in the NY market after they had all the chance in the world for decades since the start of the NBA is perfect for very a understandable amount of hatred is the same way I can see a Red Bulls fan looking at NYCFC.

BradDavis repped this.
  9. Mr.Smartypants

Mr.Smartypants Red Card

Jul 1, 2010
    Club:
    University College Dublin

The entire concept of Red Bull and their whoring of professional football in NY/NJ to lifestyle market their product is a total embarrassment to any self respecting football fan. Which makes this NYCFC (MAn City USA) situation all the more unpalatable...because the one great boon for a second club was to attract the disenfranchised that wont follow Red Bull because of ts obvious self branding non-NYC related club. Which begs the question, where are these NYCFC fans going to come from?

They fans that were most off put by Red Bull are al laboard the Cosmos train, and as long as NYCFC stays in Yankee Stadium they will be shut out of both the NJ market and Queens/LI to their rivals...so they better hope the Bronx (a heavy baseball borough) will rally behind them.

10. looknohands

looknohands Member+

Apr 23, 2009
    Louisville, KY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ...and that's exactly why the rest of US soccer fans are laughing at these people. The hypocrisy is just too much...

aetraxx7 repped this.
  11. aetraxx7

aetraxx7 Member+

Jun 25, 2005
    Des Moines, IA
    Club:
    Des Moines Menace
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly. This is the exact reason that so many soccer fans - MLS or otherwise - in the US have been scratching their heads since the league started down the path to NYC2.
    NYC "fans" seem to be nothing but whining bitches at this point. You have two ********ing MLS franchises in your greater metro area - one of which is in the goddamn city, your ********ing rallying cry for all these years - and you idiots refuse to support them because of their owners. For Christ's sake, nothing has been set in stone regarding colors, logos, or even the damned stadium. If the team legitimately ends up being Man City USA, then by all means avoid it like the plague. But until then, shut the ******** up.

kiro2317 repped this.
  12. citysoccer83

citysoccer83 Member

Jan 28, 2011
    Theres no fire. Im not implying that. Im merely posting a hypothetical. I am, you know, going to wait and see. Theres no real solid news out on the makeup of the team as far as i know, i am merely saying i would like the team to have its own unique identity. And given the choice between a roster made up of 8 Man City ex players and prospects or say 1 or 2, i choose 1 or 2. I am merely saying that i dont want the team to become a ManCity triple-A team. Again, they have stated that the two will function as two seperate entities from what i hear, and i really hope that turns out to be the case. But until we know something solid, these boards will be pure speculation, for better or worse.

13. BlueIntent

BlueIntent Member

May 24, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    When I first signed up for Bigsoccer I didn´t expect anyone to really care about a new team that was going to start playing years from now..Honestly

It might be my warped European view of course but to me you start with a team and God willing there will be some sad souls eager to see just how bad they are.
    If against all expectations the team actually delivers they tend to gain more and more fans and the ball starts rolling.
    On Bigsoccer everyone and his mum seems to have an opinion on anything.. Market shares, Investment strategy, locations, National footprints whatever that is, Supporters organisations, new teams, the bleeding names of the teams!!! :laugh:

14. chcl3

chcl3 New Member

Jul 7, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just a bit confused by what you mean here. Are you talking about Cosmos fans or are you talking about New York City FC fans?

15. BlueIntent

BlueIntent Member

May 24, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    I think he means fans in New York City in general.. People that would be overjoyed if they had a team are hardly going to be impressed with the moaning about how some teams are "wrong" for New York.

looknohands, kiro2317 and aetraxx7 repped this.
  16. aetraxx7

aetraxx7 Member+

Jun 25, 2005
    Des Moines, IA
    Club:
    Des Moines Menace
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bingo.
    I am also calling our the BBs for their hypocritical bullshit about wanting a team "in the city" but now writing it off because of the ownership group in favor of a "lower division" (minor league to us 'Mericans) team playing in ********ing Long Island. Last time I checked, Long Island was no more "in the city" than Harrison. After years of them begging, pleading, and ignoring RBNY for a second MLS team "in the city," they show their true colors as a bunch of ********ing hipster poseurs.

kiro2317 repped this.
  17. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire

I have had this argument for years. Supposedly some weird dynamic exists. I don't believe it, but they do.

18. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    It's more cool and romantic to yearn for a team that doesn't exist than to deal with the emotional ups and downs of supporting a real team. Even though to be fair to the BBs, the Cosmos are closer to existing since they are scheduled to play this year while the MLS team is to be determined.

kiro2317 repped this.
  19. Mr.Smartypants

Mr.Smartypants Red Card

Jul 1, 2010
    Club:
    University College Dublin

Keep waiting on a team in Iowa. Pullin' for ya dude!!

20. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    this thread is being closed as it has gone of topic and has become fodder for insults.

kiro2317 repped this.
  21. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    aetraxx7, Dante, whill4 and 1 other person repped this.