Boom. Wilt Coming back for Chicago NISL team

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by lncolnpk, Jan 11, 2016.

1. Fanaddict

Fanaddict Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    streamwood IL USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Peter Wilt has said he wants a team to play in Chicago so sharing TP is not going to happen. I'm a Fire STH and red stars and I will become a peter wilt nasl team STH.

HeyFireGO, Chris M., bunge and 1 other person repped this.
  2. Same here.

Jiggly_333 repped this.
  3. Fighting Illini

Fighting Illini Member+

Feb 6, 2014
    Chicago
    In a world of continued MLS growth I wouldn't necessarily be as bearish on Chicago as a 2-team city as you are here, but real talk, if the quoted scenario were to come to pass, assuming the NASL team were a better-run and more accessible affair, I wouldn't shed a tear.

Am I alone in my loyalty being to this sport and this city miles ahead of whatever "brand" is handed down by Hauptman, Garber, and the corrupt, monopolist, NFL-humping robber baron cabal that sees soccer as their next score?

4. lethargytartare

lethargytartare Member+

Oct 2, 2000
    Magrathea, Horsehead Nebula
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    nope

ionprovisioner, Chris M., bunge and 2 others repped this.
  5. ratdog

ratdog Member+

Mar 22, 2004
    In the doghouse
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, but it is still nowhere near the EPL, the Bundesliga, La Liga or Serie A. So why do presumably soccer-educated Europeans still support lower league clubs when clubs in the highest division are not that far away, at least by American standards?

Even in the USA, all of the above leagues are more or less easily available on TV and, in the bigger cities at least, live in person during their annual tours.

If level of play was all that mattered, only people who are absolute diehards for live soccer would watch MLS.

I think level of play only matters at the extremes and, again if Wilt does it right, the Fire v. Sting quality divide won't be big enough to keep real soccer fans from going to Sting games rather than Fire games.

Chris M. repped this.
  6. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    I can't believe we are having a discussion involving "quality of play" where supposedly, the Fire are the gold standard that this team won't be able to reach.

Saeyddthe and ratdog repped this.
  7. ratdog

ratdog Member+

Mar 22, 2004
    In the doghouse
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not the Fire's level of play. It's the level of play of the stars that the visiting teams bring to TP....

8. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Excellent way of taking one small part of what I said and conflating it out of proportion.

At no time did I say that level of play "was all that mattered."

I said it mattered, and it does, among a lot of other things (as I stated).

As for the rest of your comments, they really do not need to be addressed.

9. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The quality will be different for sure, even the bare minimum budget from MLS will be much larger than anything Wilt can aford. Players like Ritter and Watson are the regulars for NASL.

NASL is about the same level as the USL going by US Open Cup results, in 2015 USL went 7 vs. 0 against NASL.

Is ok to want something different, and the experience may be better, but lets not be fools, MLS still has a big money edge over NASL.

bunge repped this.
  10. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's slightly inaccurate. The Dallas Texans and Dallas Cowboys both started in 1960. The Dallas Texans (and the rest of the AFL) were started by Hunt after the NFL repeatedly rebuffed his efforts to get an NFL team there. After the AFL announced its plans and its ownership, the NFL quickly put an expansion team in Dallas so as not to cede the South and West to the AFL.

And in the end, the Texans ended up moving to Kansas City after three seasons of trying to compete with the Cowboys at the Cotton Bowl.

Meanwhile, the NBA all but killed the ABA. Only four ABA teams -- the Spurs, the Nets, the Nuggets, and the Pacers -- were absorbed into the NBA, with all four teams' owners having to pay a high price to do so, and the Spirits of St. Louis and Kentucky Colonels got taken around back and given the Old Yeller treatment.

And before someone mentions it, the WHA also suffered a similarly ignominious fate when it went up against the NHL, and things went even worse for the USFL, which sort of proves the point that it's really, really hard to go up against an incumbent league and you really, really have to have a certain confluence of circumstances and you really have to have ownership who have lots of money and who don't mind losing lots of it for many years, which sadly does not describe too many owners in the NASL.

Jiggly_333 repped this.
  11. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    As there were (sort of, way too much) for our 2014 and 2015 Chicago Fire.

12. lncolnpk

lncolnpk Member+

Mar 5, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The best part of that deal was the St. Louis owners for closing up shop negotiated a % of all future NBA TV deals in perpetuity.

http://articles.latimes.com/2006/jul/31/sports/sp-aba31

Part of the Silnas' deal called for them to receive one-seventh of the annual TV revenue from each of the four ABA teams entering the NBA.

The NBA finally got them to give them an out
    http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2014/...tuity-deal-with-former-owners-of-aba-spirits/

he Silnas are to receive a $500 million upfront payment, financed through a private placement of notes by JPMorgan Chase and Merrill Lynch, according to three people with direct knowledge of the agreement. The deal would end the enormous perpetual payments and settle a lawsuit filed in federal court by the Silnas that demanded additional compensation from sources of television revenue that did not exist in 1976, including NBA TV, foreign broadcasting of games and League Pass, the service that lets fans watch out-of-market games.

Still, the league is not getting rid of the Silnas altogether. They will continue to get some television revenue, some of it from the disputed sources named in their lawsuit, through a new partnership that is to be formed with the Nets, the Pacers, the Nuggets and the Spurs, according to the people with knowledge of the agreement. But at some point, the Silnas can be bought out of their interest in the partnership.

13. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    Take that to the optimism thread!

ratdog, Jiggly_333 and SixKick repped this.
  14. ratdog

ratdog Member+

Mar 22, 2004
    In the doghouse
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh for sure, I'd expect your average MLS team to be better than your average NASL team. Nobody is doubting that.

The question is will the gap in level of play by itself cause most Chicago soccer fans to shun an NASL team here. Normally, you could make that case. But level of play is not the only thing that matters in sports. Nobody likes to feel like they're being played for chump and I'd say most Chicago soccer fans have now had that experience with Hauptman's zombieFire.

Which is why all the bridges that Dollar Menu has burnt could very well come back to haunt the Fire IF (and that's still a big IF) Wilt does everything right with the hypothetical Sting and builds an organization that treats its fan well and is competitive in its league. If that turns out to be the case, then soccer fans in Chicago have a win-win. We can go see live men's pro soccer at hypothetical Sting games and, if we want to see the highest level of play then screw MLS, we'll go watch La Liga, EPL or Bundesliga on TV at the bar or in the comfort of our homes.

Red Leader repped this.
  15. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #140 ceezmad, Jan 21, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2016
    1 difference is that both are local choices vs. Foreign leagues, I like the NASL and I have been following them since the split, I hope they grow and become a substainable soccer league that perhaps pushes MLS or at least gives some fans options.

But I have seen games live and on the NASL stream, and well we joke about a team full of Ritters, but that is what NASL teams tend to be.

As an alternative I think it is fantastic, I just want people to keep their hopes realistic on what a Chicago NASL will look like.

Also don't be surprised if after an initial good year, that the team may struggle to get 5K+ fans to their games. MLSsnobs are as real as EPLsnobs.

goldclover and Jiggly_333 repped this.
  16. Fighting Illini

Fighting Illini Member+

Feb 6, 2014
    Chicago
    That's right, but even in addition to that I wouldn't underestimate the number of Chicago soccer fans that haven't even gotten that far. Bridgeview + No Marketing + Constant Failure during an era when the interest in soccer has skyrocketed has created a pretty large potential customer base that has had no real reason to interact with the Fire in the first place. It's easy to forget that on a board for hardcore long-time Fire fans.

The "vibe" that has blown up MLS markets elsewhere has just not struck Chicago yet, period. A well marketed men's pro team in Solider Field COULD create some of that. Could. Money will be a problem, NASL talent level and lack of exposure will be a problem, a cavernous stadium with football lines will be a problem, the fact that Soldier Field isn't actually THAT easy to get to will be a problem, but despite all of that, Chicago is an enormous potential soccer market and the Fire are barely scratching the surface of it and receding all the time. There's an opening there.

harrylee773, SixKick and xtomx repped this.
  17. Feffery

Feffery Member

Nov 24, 2014
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have loyalty to the local men's professional soccer club that does the best job of competing within their league and has the best game day experience. Right now that is the Fire, merely because it is the only choice. Well, besides not supporting a local team. I actually do hope the best local club will be the Fire when the Sting become a reality, but based on the current state of things I don't have high hopes and the moment this is no longer the case my loyalty will shift. The Fire have done nothing to make my loyalty any more resilient than that. They could have. But they haven't.

I don't expect anyone to agree or feel the same way. But the Fire will lose my support when I have a better option.

eiki, SixKick, xtomx and 3 others repped this.
  18. krolpolski

krolpolski Member+

I have made the same arguments with friends who poo-poo the rebirth of the Sting because of the NASL's level of play.

As long as I can celebrate a Chicago championship with my sons, I don't care if the Sting play like Long John Silver impersonators.

I do question, however, the desire to play in the city. Soldier Field is a pain in the neck to get to for suburbanites. Yes, public transportation is a plus for those in the city, but for me T.P. is easy to get to coming in the back way off the Tri-State.

Once again, I would recommend the Hillside area, where all the highways come together, as the location of the NASL stadium.

goldclover and Jiggly_333 repped this.
  19. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    what subway line takes people to Hillside?

CMeszt, harrylee773 and SixKick repped this.
  20. Fighting Illini

Fighting Illini Member+

Feb 6, 2014
    Chicago
    I don't mean to be snarky, but this is important to note: because of the above, Chicago Fire Soccer is a VASTLY better product for you than it is for me, Andy, suckitude, raccoons and all.

No value judgments of where anyone chooses to live, but Lakeview, Lincoln Park, Logan Square, Bucktown, Ukranian Village, etc, are where the densest concentration of the 2016 US professional soccer fan demographic are located. The inconvenience of getting to Bridgeview from those places is almost impossible to overstate. Soldier Field is imperfect, but much, much better.

If the location of Toyota Park looks like the plan in 2005 was for people from Naperville and Downers Grove and Hinsdale to be the center of gravity of Fire crowds, that's because that's exactly what the plan was. Fire leadership was better then, but it was not clairvoyant.

harrylee773, eiki and xtomx repped this.
  21. GHjelm

GHjelm Member+

Apr 23, 2008
    Batavia
    Club:
    Chicago Fire

I recommend Dekalb. Built in "Bro Culture" population thanks to Northern and there's probably a bus? ;)

lethargytartare repped this.
  22. lethargytartare

lethargytartare Member+

Oct 2, 2000
    Magrathea, Horsehead Nebula
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    I think they, and the fans here on BS, also underestimated the intangibles associated with being in the City proper vs some dingy suburb (no matter how close to the city).

For most suburbanites, going to The City is an event in an of itself. It's exciting. Hell, I still have romantic memories of sitting in the car with my dad in the early 80s, seeing the skyline, the Coca Cola sign that meant we were getting close. Chicago is a capital D destination. Bridgeview is not.

Feffery repped this.
  23. LocoGueroFutobolista

Apr 18, 2004
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    East Side or South Deering would be great!

kenosis repped this.
  24. LocoGueroFutobolista

Apr 18, 2004
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Oh, and the team should be called Lokomotiv Chicago, and the supporters should be called Los Lokos!
    edit: get it? Section 8-crazy-loco?

25. loonixxx

loonixxx Member+

Chicago Red Stars
    Aug 28, 2004
    Soccer Limbo
    Club:
    Jagiellonia Bialystok SSA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't care where the Sting plays, in or somewhere around Chicago, I'll be there. Same with the Red Stars. Same goes for the Fire if they were still worth my time.

RadioGonzo and LocoGueroFutobolista repped this.