Books/Articles on Japanese occupation of Korea?

Discussion in 'History' started by Transparent_Human, Mar 22, 2010.

1. Transparent_Human

Oct 15, 2006
    Pale blue dot
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mauritius
    Anyone know of any good books or scholarly articles written on this topic, broadly, as well as with a more narrow focus on the comfort women? Even a documentary name would be useful.

I have to give a 30 minute presentation+a paper for my Intl. Law+Human rights course I am in right now, and the professor (who is Korean himself, so he probably I'm assuming knows a good deal about it, so B.S probably wouldn't go over well) specifically asked me to do this topic-alone, where as everyone else is in groups.

But also keep in mind the dude loves me as a student and will probably give me an A regardless of what I do :D Just because I was the only person in his American federal Govt. course that answered his questions and didn't sound off Glenn Beck talking points in debates.

2. 96Squig

96Squig Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Hanover
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Maybe try to find literature from a wikipedia page that is hard to access for Japanese and Koreans (and their lobbies), for example the German or French one? I found Wikipedia a great starting point for ressearch if you have little or no knowleddge in the topic.

3. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Do you still need help with this?

4. Transparent_Human

Oct 15, 2006
    Pale blue dot
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mauritius
    I've found a few things...........most of the books I have to wait for, some the library won't get for me :rolleyes:I love going to a state school.

I have a handful of articles and books to work with. I might be alright........once I actually have the books. either way I will cut it close.

5. Dead Fingers

Dead Fingers Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 22, 2004
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Not sure why the library would not get them? State schools should even be better at Interlibrary loan. Usually the reason is more to do with the lending institution. (Yes, I am a librarian. :)) If you feel it is still with the school, try the public library for your interlibary loan requests.

You said you found a lot of books, and looking at http://www.worldcat.org, there seems to be quite a few books/articles on the subject (comfort women). Your institution may have a worldcat link up, so you can see if your actual library has the items. Otherwise, request the articles.

Also in worldcat I used 'Japanese occupation' and 'Korea' as keywords in the advanced search and found a few items as well.

In the JSTOR database, and using korea and "comfort women", I found quite a few article citations as well

6. Transparent_Human

Oct 15, 2006
    Pale blue dot
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mauritius
    Something about not being widely available...........blah blah. I found a few excellent articles in JSTOR the other day, so now it's just a matter of putting everything together.

And I know the ILL problem probably lies with the lending library. I just need to dump on my school a little bit more before graduation :D

Thanks for the help everyone :)

7. Dead Fingers

Dead Fingers Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 22, 2004
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Haha

Good luck! :)

8. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Books on the Japanese occupation of Korea? Yeah, I would suspect thousands.

9. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd be curious to see what you came up with, if you are willing to share. Not just your source materials, but your paper.