"Bocanegra Horror Foul" - Fan's views on Skysports.com

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by GRUNT, Mar 12, 2004.

1. GRUNT

GRUNT Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Lake Oswego, OR
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bocanegra Horror Foul!!! Worst Tackle Ever?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OK, I don't think so, but some sissy at Sky thought it might be, and solicited opinions on the subject: http://www.skysports.com/skysports/article/0,,53-1123115,00.html

Boca's tackle and suspension are obviously old news, but I hadn't realized some people were making such a big deal out of it. Fortunately, my opinion of the English was saved when many of the respondents disagreed with the little whiner. They bring up quite a few bad ones from the past that I had forgotten about, including Eric Cantona's flying kick to the face of a Palace fan. Remember that one? :)

btw - isn't this weekend's Leeds match the last of the suspension? This thing has been painful, sitting out twice against Man U -- twice!! :(

2. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    Re: Bocanegra Horror Foul!!! Worst Tackle Ever?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Strange, the header of that article reads:

"Fulham defender Carlos Bocanegra's horrific challenge on Aston Villa full back Mark Delaney has sparked a lot of debate - what is the worst tackle you have ever seen?"

So exactly why is this the comment of a "little whiner" and a "sissy"?

Btw, did you really need to post about a month-old article?

3. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Bocanegra Horror Foul!!! Worst Tackle Ever?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's dated material, certainly, but I'll comment on what's relevant.

Indeed, this is Bocanegra's final match of his ban.

He'll return next weekend in Fulham's away match against Chelsea.

Fulham's results & fixtures

4. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was a horrible tackle. I would have had no problem with banning him the remainder of the season. 3 games was extremely lenient. I hope he learns from this and keeps his head from now on.

5. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And they say its only us United fans who don't know anything about football. ;)

Boca's tackle was indeed a horror tackle, but given his playing history, I don't think he intended to injure. Luckily it happened very early (hopefully) in his English career, so plenty of time to play it down if he performs on the field. I just hope he doesn't lose some of the aggressiveness that made him so good.

6. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ansil Elcock on Cuahtemoc Blanco, worst I can remember seeing

7. GRUNT

GRUNT Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Lake Oswego, OR
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Bocanegra Horror Foul!!! Worst Tackle Ever?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As for the article being old, so what? I hadn't seen it before, and thought there might be others who would find it interesting. I had been looking for info on Boca's suspension, and stumbled across it.

The tackle was bad, but I have seen many worse. To suggest, "worst tackle ever?", is overdone, melodramatic and the act of a whining sissy. You disagree? Good for you.

8. MightyMouse

MightyMouse BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 19, 2003
    Island paradise east of the mainland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Blanco probably deserved it (ducks out of sight)

9. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    how about Leonardo alomst decapitating Tab Ramos with his elbow? I thought thay was pretty bad

10. greenbill

greenbill New Member

Apr 30, 2003
    York, PA
    Aw, man...you beat me to it. Your response makes a good point. If we all think back through all the games we've seen in our lives, there have been tons of bad fouls, tackles, even fights. They pretty much all meld together after a while.

11. eamonmcg

eamonmcg New Member

Jul 15, 2003
    Rhode Island
    how aboout the Joey Digimarino (sp?) tackle on Jose Cancela, he nearly killed him, that ass.

12. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    Re: Re: Re: Bocanegra Horror Foul!!! Worst Tackle Ever?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I see your English comprehension isn't that hot.

13. dcufan1984

dcufan1984 Member

Feb 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    rafael marquez against cobi jones. ;)

14. JohnW

JohnW Member

Apr 27, 2001
    St. Paul
    Roy Keane on Alf Inge Haaland. It still makes me wince.

BTW, to try to relate to the topic at hand at least somewhat--the difference between Bocanegra's challenge and Keane's was the former was wild and reckless, while the latter was wild, reckless and intentional.

15. Scottt1115

Scottt1115 Member

Sep 14, 2003
    SLC, UT
    THE tackle

Mike Jones on Kevin Dyson.....

16. denalimn

denalimn New Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Minnesota
    I was at that game -- one of many Americans in the stands -- and didn't think that the tackle was all that bad. In fact, many of the fans around us thought it was Delaney who went in first.

Of course, the Loftus Road Mega-Video screen wasn't working that night, so we didn't see the replay.

At any rate none of us thought that the tackle was any more horrendous than McBride missing a sitter that would have tied the game in injury time.

17. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    Mike Tyson biting off Evenader Holyfield's ear.

18. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nah, that wasn't so bad, but only 'cause he missed with the kick and the forearm shiver, so he only landed the headbutt.

The questions remains...what DID Cobi do to piss off El Tri so much?

19. art

art Member

Jul 2, 2000
    Portland OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How about Stoitchkov breaking that college kid's leg last year? THAT was ugly.

20. somebody

somebody New Member

Feb 18, 2004
    you just beat me to it.

Keano's tackle was really bad, too.

how about Cantona's karate kick?

21. matabala

matabala Member+

Sep 25, 2002
    Ramos was never quite the same after that. Leonardo went on to be a playboy in Paris and wherever else his Euro-trotting career took him. To see that video again is to see how much problem Ramos was giving Brazil up to that point. That was a lethal elbow with intent to do harm.

22. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    That was a brutal retaliation as opposed to a brutal foul: Ramos fouled Leonardo by pulling his shirt (and got a yellow card for his pains).

I think the most premeditated and brutal foul I've ever seen was in a UEFA Cup game when a Velez Mostar player headbutted a Derby County player (Roger Davies?). He was out cold for a long long time.

23. cj herrera

cj herrera New Member

May 7, 1999
    Oakland, damn straig
    Portugal's Joao Pinto on South Koreas Park Ji-Sung in J/K 2002:
    Did not result in an injury but Pinto scissored Park's leg above and below the knee, well away from the ball. Disgusting.

I'll also second the Elcock, Stoitch and Keane beauties.

24. BarbS

BarbS New Member

Feb 24, 2002
    Portland, OR
    Another awful tackle worth mentioning is Paul Bosvelt's on Dennis Irwin in a Feyenoord v. ManU Champions Lg match a few years back. How Irwin's leg wasn't broken I'll never know.

25. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    It was a bad tackle, especially on replay. Two things make it bad: 1st) he got there way late, and deserved to be sent off straight away and 2nd) had he got to the ball instead of the man, Carlos would've been the one stretchered off, possibly straight to the hospital with a season-ending, career threatening, broken leg. And that's why I don't think he should've received anything more than the straight red and the customary 3-match suspension. Had he got there on time, Delaney would've been the bad guy, because he went in the same way and got their first.