Boca,Mcbride-League Cup-Fulham vs Chelsea 11/30 (R)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Fulhamfc3, Nov 29, 2004.

1. mundial

mundial Member

Mar 12, 2000
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmmm...McBride grabbed his goal at the right time...it's hard to play 5 healthy strikers (Cole, Hammond, John, McBride, Radzinski), especially if you occasionally play a 4-5-1. Boa Morte's basically a withdrawn striker too, right? Anyway, I hope Macca's goal isn't too little too late. It'd be nice to see him score against Norwich on the weekend.

2. Native Aztexan

Jan 27, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gentleman Jim went from having a McBride organism to a Lampard killing his puppy in minutes. :D One classy guy.

If he ever goes to America for a visit or vacation, buy him a drink. :)

"flags up, sit down shut up" = classic!

3. wjarrettc

wjarrettc Member
    Staff Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Cliffs of Insanity
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Considering the poor showing on Saturday, I think Fulham can hold their heads high with this display. Let's hope Fulham learns from this and continues to take the game to their opponents.

4. UncleSam527

UncleSam527 Member

Jan 14, 2002
    This is like de-ja-vu: Crew 2003. Go down, McBride saves us, we let one in late. Why!?

5. Fulhamfc3

Fulhamfc3 New Member

Sep 26, 2004
    Las Vegas
    This team didnt have much confidence going into this match they might of had 0 confidence. They just lost on a late goal. This team needs to find some kind of confidence with a win against Norwich a win their could be a start. If they dont win then Coleman may be out as manager.

6. Joel Goodson

Joel Goodson Member

Jan 10, 2001
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Perfect result - YA scores and The Blues win!

7. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The bug with posts being displayed out of order really screws up reading PBP threads!
    :(

8. mtr8967

mtr8967 New Member

Aug 15, 2003
    Take heart Fulham fans. The first thing is to start playing well. Results will follow. Sounds like the traditional 4-4-2 target striker/quick striker worked well (maybe that's why it's become traditional). I'm still surprised there was no defender available to sub in on the bench. Was one of the midfielders able to play back there in a pinch?

9. Mason16

Mason16 Member

Apr 11, 2001
    South Florida
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. mundial

mundial Member

Mar 12, 2000
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. mundial

mundial Member

Mar 12, 2000
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://soccernet.espn.go.com/report?id=169389&cc=5901

"Left-back Carlos Bocanegra managed to block his (Robben) next advance and escaped punishment despite seeming to push the Dutchman inside the penalty area - but Chelsea were slowly increasing their pressure."

12. rkeane15

rkeane15 New Member

Jan 25, 2004
    Portland, OR
    Sounds like boca did well against robben. Hopefully bruce remembers this next time we play holland.

13. Shark

Shark Member

Mar 12, 2004
    Leesburg, VA
    Mr. Robben..........Boca ain't no Frankie Heydude.

Thank you, please come again. (Apoo-like voice)

14. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IIRC he played well agaist him or maybe it was Duff in the league game against Chelsea despite what the scoreline said.

15. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    McBride's goal was more of a misdirect, albeit at a point-blank range, than of a tap-in. It was a good one-touch attempt.

An interesting remark by Lampard on his goal : 'You have to shoot from the edge of the box and sometimes you get a bit of luck - which we got."

Frank's so non-MLS.

16. El Steve

El Steve Member

Sep 7, 2004
    Pittsburgh
    Club:
    Pittsburgh Riverhounds
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Frank Lampard's one of the few players I go out of my way to follow during a game... and my eyes become saucers whenever he has the ball. I'm just not used to a midfielder with such offensive aggression and a tendency to shoot like he has.

I only occasionally root for Chelsea due to him and their historical lack of success. (at winning the big one)

17. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bad luck for Fulham. Deserved a bit more from the game than what they got-- at the very least, they deserved to take the cup tie into extra time and/or PK's.

And sounds like a very opportunistic goal from Macca, too. Bad luck for me as well-- had to turn the webcast off five minutes before that goal. This would have to be the morning where my wife says, "Will, honey, let's go to the gym today before work." If anyone's got a copy of Gentleman Jim's call of the match, I'd love to hear it... especially Macca's goal.

If I ever hear that he's in Melbourne, I'll shout him that drink-- even if I'm not tending bar!! :D

18. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    so is Man U still going after van der saar?

19. Cannon

Cannon Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Sep 2, 2001
    Washington, DC metro
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Better ManU than Arsenal. Jens may be mad but this year Ed is bad. :D

I haven't caught too many Fulham games of late but in the few I watched, it appeared that Boca was playing pretty well despite the bad results. Can any Fulham fans confirm (or deny) this impression?

20. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Boca played the entire game at left back against Holland. What should Arena "remember" or have done differently? Play Boca at right back?

It was an outstanding game and Fullham definitely did not have luck going for them. Chelsea was the better side for the middle 50 minutes of the match, but both of their goals -- one through a deflection and the other through a "Roy Carroll" -- were lucky.

McBride was at his best, which means he won every header and his touch was good allowing him to distribute effectively on those occasions -- rare in the middle of the game -- when the midfield got him the ball. He couldn't make anything happen one-on-one, but that shouldn't surprise anybody. This game should be mandatory viewing for all of those who argue that McBride is only good in the air against Central American smurfs. If the balls are decent, McBride will get his head on a lot of balls.

Boca I thought was really good, both offensively and defensively. His speed is not quite sufficient to be world class at left back, but his passing and ball control were excellent. He also was very strong positioning and using his superior strength. Duff and Robben got a number of good crosses in, but I doubt that very many outside backs would have been able to take away crosses when isolated with these guys. Robben did turn him around once and fire a shot that Van der Saar did well to parry, but once again he is Robben. I would rate Boca highly in this match.

21. Fulhamfc3

Fulhamfc3 New Member

Sep 26, 2004
    Las Vegas
    Well at least Boca and Mcbride did well. Fulham still have the FA Cup. We did well against a 90% full Scum squad. They needed luck to win the match we were unlucky that 2 of our shots went of the wood they had a shot do the same.Overall if Moral Victories count then this is huge.

22. Shark

Shark Member

Mar 12, 2004
    Leesburg, VA
    After catching the highlights of the game last night, Van Der Saar is not totally to blame. The ball took a deflection on its way to goal. VDS was diving to the left, and the ball deflected back to the right towards his legs. He tried to get it with his leg, and did knock it up off the underside to the crossbar, but still went in. Came close to stopping it though.

Not a "howler" as others have said.

23. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    So McBride continues to impress when he's given the time.

When is this "coming on in the 70th minute" in EPL matches going to end?

When is he going to get a start already?

24. Deuteriumoxide

May 27, 2003
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    I'm thinking December 13th against Manchester United would be good (for me ;) )!