Bobblehead comparison

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Jul 31, 2002.

1. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp I just received my Joe Cannon and Landon Donovan bobbleheads in the mail from Club Quake (who let me order them despite me not being a Club Quake member - which is a good thing for them, as my presence would dwindle their membership just as my presence at Spartan Stadium dwindles the attendance there :( ).

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp And no offense to Bill Reeves, with whom I argued with last September on these boards over the shoddy (in my opinion) quality of the Jeff Agoos bobblehead passed out to those in attendance of the Earthquakes-Crew home playoff game, but once I did a side-by-side comparison of my three Quakes bobbleheads (Agoos, Cannon and Donovan), I stand by my argument now more than ever!

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp The Cannon and Donovan bobbleheads are very well made, and have the same professional quality as those bobbleheads passed out at Giants, A's, Sabercats, etc. games (as well as those Giants ones that you can buy at Carls Jr.). Now these (Cannon & Donovan) are bobbleheads that I can be proud of showing off to friends and relatives alike!

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp Hopefully more Quakes bobbleheads can be made by the same company that made the Cannon and Donovan bobbleheads (including a Jeff Agoos one).

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp GO EARTHQUAKES!!! :(

-G

2. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp [​IMG]

-G

3. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I absolutely, positively, 100% retract any statements I made last year about the quality of the Jeff Agoos bobblehead. It sucks.

I now have four bobbleheads (Agoos from last year, Cannon from Club Quake, Donovan from Club Quake, and Donovan from US Soccer). The Agoos one is so much worse than the others, there's no comparison.

It was still worth every penny I paid for it, though.

4. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp True, true... :D

-G

5. supersport

supersport New Member

Oct 17, 2001
    San Francisco
    I sold my Jeff Agoos boblehead on ebay. When the buyer got it he gave me negative feedback, saying it looked like the bobblehead had been repainted by a child.

6. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can hardly blame him can you. However, I think a child would have done a better job. The Jeff bobblehead looks like it was painted by someone on sneaky pete and peyote. We must demand a new Jeff Agoos bobblehead.

7. Turcs

Turcs Member

Apr 20, 2000
    Wake Forest, NC
    Club Quake would love to do a new one every year -- even cool ones like NASL Georgie Best or a Clash John Doyle bobble (thanks Spartacus), but we need more people to buy Joe Cannon bobbles.

Help your supporters club and buy Joe Cannon bobbles! You don't have to be a member to buy one.

Find them here: http://www.clubquake.org/merchandise.php

If you make it worth our investment, we'll do something cool next year.

Let's see... retro jerseys in 2001, JC bobbles in 2002, what to do in 2003... hmmm...

Mike

8. Quake Crazy

Quake Crazy Member

Jul 19, 2001
    Ceres Califonia
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I received my Landon bobble head yesterday and it is definitely MUCH higher quality than the Agoos give away from last year. I think that is every bit as good as any I have seen from baseball etc. That said however, I have never seen a bobble as good as the Joe Cannon one sponsored by Club Quake. The detail on Joe's bobble is amazing, much better than any other bobble from any sport. If you don't have one yet your missing the boat!

9. USItalianofan

USItalianofan New Member

Mar 8, 2002
    Modesto CA
    I do have to agree with all of you my clubquake cannon is the best bobble I have seen alot better than the LD that I have also. Is the anyother quake bobble heads besides the crappy agoos out or coming from anyone. Hey quakecrazy how do you get to the games I'm with clubquake and don't live that far from you.

10. Quake Crazy

Quake Crazy Member

Jul 19, 2001
    Ceres Califonia
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I always drive, usually with my wife, son, or brother (I have to pick him up in Livermore when he goes) or by myself if necessay. Unfortunately they are just fans, I'm the fanatic of the family.

11. USItalianofan

USItalianofan New Member

Mar 8, 2002
    Modesto CA
    I have always loved football since I was a kid I am know able to really getinto it. This is my first year watching and going to Earthquakes games. My wife loves it too. We have tried to get people that we know to go with us mostly family though. Have you had any luck in your area trying to get people to go????

12. Bebeto

Bebeto Member

Feb 24, 2000
    I'd be willing to pony up 20-30 Euros for an Yves bobblehead holding a liver in his hand. I would take it and have it blessed by the Pope.

Thank you for your consideration.

13. Quake Crazy

Quake Crazy Member

Jul 19, 2001
    Ceres Califonia
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unfortunately not. I'm involved with youth soccer in Ceres and coach the boys high school team but have been very frustrated by the attitudes of those involved. Particularly the adults involved with the youth program, I don't understand how you can be around the game and not develop an interest in the higher levels, most of them won't watch on TV or go to a game. Perhaps part of that can be explained by the fact that although the league motto is "It's for the kids" it should really be "It's for our ego".

I am however trying to arrange for my high school team to attend a game.

14. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When you understand this, please tell me (us), we'd all like to know. I just can't imagine anyone in any other sport doing that. It is so bizarre. (But it's the truth all the way across. Maybe just in Northern California?)

15. Quake Crazy

Quake Crazy Member

Jul 19, 2001
    Ceres Califonia
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Perhaps the answer can be found by drinking more beer. I'll give it a try tonight. :)

16. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the answer could be found by drinking more beer, I'd know it already.:D

17. Quake Crazy

Quake Crazy Member

Jul 19, 2001
    Ceres Califonia
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think I will give it a try anyway.

18. doppelganger

doppelganger Member

Jul 6, 2001
    santa cruz, ca
    maybe we should all try drinking more beer and we can compare notes tomorrow.....

19. Hawkeye17

Hawkeye17 DynaChick v QuakeBabe v WildKate v Chewie23

Aug 25, 1999
    Miami Vice 82
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Joe is the best on by far. Perfect craftmanship, logos, and a rare collectable.

I prefer the Landon USA one to the Quakes version--he looks fun with his National Team kit while a bit spooky in his Quakes uni...

The Agoos one, plainly sucks. A nice collectable, but really the craftmanship is bad.

I'm a bit keen on the Big Daddy bobble... a bit fat, but a mememto to the old Tampa Bay Mutiny... Diallo was made only because Valderrama was traded to Colorado--only one exists of the Tampa proto...

Of course, we all had a blast with the Carlos Valderrama bobble when we shook it up for Fox Sports Rocky Mountain... and it makes a good voodoo doll...

I'll have to bring to Cobi bobble to the Open Cup game so that we can put the voodoo on it...

"My sources" have ended up with a Brad Friedel bobblehead doll... not many exist...

(I started on this because when the Sharks decided to show a few of the soccer bobbles on the jumbotron--Agoos, Diallo, and Donovan--I felt it was a must have)...

My favorite one, besides the Quakes, is Heather Mitts, just because... :D

Cheers! Nap

20. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp I'm not sure where they got the Jeff Agoos bobblehead for this promotional picture from last season, but the Agoos bobblehead I received looks nowhere near as good as the one in the picture.

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp [​IMG]

-G

21. living_ded_boy

living_ded_boy New Member

May 24, 2001
    Pleasanton, Ca
    I hate Bobbleheads.....never understood the attraction. None of them ever resemble the player. Shinjo, Cannon, Bonds, Donovan or Nen, it doesn't matter. Arguing over which one looks better is like Baboons arguing over who's ass is more colorful. ;)

22. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp The Joe Cannon and Landon Donovan bobbleheads were apparently made by a company called Bobble Dreams, although each bobblehead came in its own "Limited Edition MLS Collectible" packaging. Pretty cool! :)

-G

23. Lab Mouse

Lab Mouse New Member

Apr 11, 1999
    Kalamazoo, MI, USA
    I only own two bobbles, neither of them soccer related (one is the Western Michigan University mascot and the other is Lee Corso of ESPN).

I would like some soccer bobbles. However, I would like one of Donovan without the platinum surfer curls. That's so last year and it looked awful then (sorry!).

The Brad Friedel bobbles were actually given out at Crew games at some point this year. They also gave out McBride and Mathis. A week from Wednesday it's Stern John and Cobi, apparently, and there was also a Valderrama the same night as Friedel.

Carefully crafted bobbleheads can be considered pop art of a sort. Someday there will be an exhibition at the Smithsonian or someplace on the art of the bobblehead and we will all go. :D

24. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp It would be interesting to compare the similarities and differences between today's bobbleheads and those from their previous heydey of the 1960's.

-G

25. Hawkeye17

Hawkeye17 DynaChick v QuakeBabe v WildKate v Chewie23

Aug 25, 1999
    Miami Vice 82
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brad Friedel was given away July 20. However it was part of a ticket package that was a promotion to the youth groups. Ditto for how the Stern John and Cobi ones that will be given away.

However, it was Crew Cat that was given away on that day, but everyone got a lottery ticket, and whatever number was announced on there ended up with the bobble to be picked up. This was done to foil the collectors who buy a stack of tickets just to get the bobbles.

The MLS ones are widely available. The Joe Cannon ones are also made by the same company, and only 1000 exist compared to maybe the 5000 or so that are out there--the numbers being my guess. Stern and Brad are rare because they don't belong to the league anymore.

There is a bobblehead thread in the Collectors and Collectables section where some info is exchanged, though ebay remains the best place to get them. Note: beware the last minute bids.

The 60s and 70s version are nothing more than cherubic angel heads--they were revived when ESPN in 1993 decided to use them for their promotions. The bobbles of icons and celebreties are a recent phenomenon.

Now that you got me thinking, I just might have to put whatever bobbles I have on display.

Honestly, I would not have become addicted until they showed Jeff Agoos, Landon Donovan (USA), and the Mamadou Diallo bobbleheads on a table with a series of hockey bobbles during one of the breaks at the Sharks games, figuring they are connected with the Quakes. The Blue One will get this part.

Cheers!