Bob Regrets Move To Nj

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by Decepticon LazerBeak, Sep 25, 2003.

1. jdm2662

jdm2662 New Member

Aug 6, 2002
    Hillside, IL
  2. JoeW

JoeW New Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Arisrules, I think it's a bit simplistic to argue that Chicago only changed 4 players, none of whom had key roles. Nowak--probably more connected to his team (in terms of fan, team leadership, team role) than any individual player in MLS. Stoichkov--didn't play much the past 2 years but look at WHEN he played (at the end of matches) and the number of game winning or game tying goals he scored then. And yes, Wolff and Kovalenko (both of whom had been MLS all-stars). What about Daniv?

Basically, the A-mid, 2 of the strikers and probably 2 most versatile mids (Daniv and Kovalenko) were lost. With no cap room to make significant additions. Imagine if Metro had to jetison: Guevara, either Mathis or Magee, then Ricardo Clark and Digi--but didn't have the cap room to add anything more than P-40 or minimum salary players? That would be tough to pull that off.

3. Arisrules

Arisrules Member

Feb 19, 2000
    Washington, DC
    I think you are forgetting the major point though, they weren't playing much! That is why I think comparing it to the top Metros players who play every day, is an incorrect analogy.

The toughest part of those trades wasn't the loss on the field, as much as off the field. It must have been hell for everyone with the whole Nowak fiasco. However, Wolff and Stoich barely played. They just weren't on the field (same with Nowak over the past two years). Kovalenko was not on top of his game last year, plus that trade gave them a great young player with loads of potential. I probably would have done that if I was the GM, even if I didn't have cap problems. Plus, you get back a very good midfielder in Armas who was out for the whole season. If all those players were healthy, is there any question as to who was going to be the best team in MLS????? They weren't though, and I think that is what made the transition of not having those players on this team this season, much easier.

Also Daniv? Where is Daniv playing right now??? I mean, Vaudreil, Billy Walsh, and Jason Moore were getting more time on the field then him last year for the Fire.

I think right now, Chicago is getting much more return for the money they spend, then they ever did before. That has a lot to due with the decisions of Wilt and Dave. However, I think this team as constructed right now is still Bradley's team with minor adjustments.

4. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    Frankly, I expect one of them to be gone next year. The "guys" will still be around, though.
    New coach, new GM -- been there, done that.

Sometimes I can't wait to move to Florida and find a local USL team to call my own. Trade one melodrama for another.

5. JoeW

JoeW New Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Arisrules, you're correct that 3 of those players didn't play much last year. But Daniv and Kovalenko did (irrelevant of what kind of season they had).

1. The fact is that Bradley built a team in which his centerpieces were primarily guys who just didn't play much last year (or even the year before in some cases). So to argue it's pretty much his team this year in Chicago is wrong.

2. If Bradley had returned, I find it inconceivable that he wouldn't have retained Nowak. Even if it meant dumping Razov. Heck there were even rumors that Nowak was going to Metro after Bradley went there.

3. If your argument is basically correct (that the bulk of the current team was assembled by Bradley and these guys were there last year) and the only guys substracted from this year's team contributed nothing last year, then last year's Fire should have been pretty similar to this year's team in W-L record. And we can clearly see that's not the case. The only played they added through those substractions is Mapp--and he doesn't even start all the time. Faria contributed nothing to the team.

I think the world of Bradley. But it really does a disserve to Sarachan to indicate that this year's Fire is basically Bradley's team.

6. Arisrules

Arisrules Member

Feb 19, 2000
    Washington, DC
    Well there is a fundamental difference between this years Fire team and last years. They had no depth last year, because the a lot of the players that were injured, were replaced with garbage like Billy Walsh. Those players added absolutely nothign to the team on the field. This year, the team has much more depth, by replacing those players.

I don't consider it a disservice to Dave by saying he gained from Bob's work. I think it is even more impressive that he was able to tinker a little here and there (find some good young players, remotivate veterans...), and produce a team that is arguably the best in MLS this year. However, not saying that this team is basically Bradley's team is wrong. The biggest contributors so far this year, except for Ralph were all on Bradley's team. They even get back Whitfield and Armas who did not play at all last year for the Fire.

7. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    Amazing that a moron liar from the Metros board can spark an actual conversation on the Fire board, because they don't know he's a moron liar yet.

8. HalaMadrid

HalaMadrid Member

Apr 9, 1999
    But it's juicy, legend-making, emotional speculation! :D

9. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Keep in mind the following:

The MetroStars are an AEG team.

Kevin Payne runs soccer for AEG.

Bruce Arena is very close with, and thinks very highly of, Bob Bradley.

When it comes to soccer decisions, Payne does whatever Arena thinks is best.

Nick Sakiewicz was hired BEFORE took over the MetroStars, in otherwords, he wasn't hired by Payne and is definitely NOT a Payne/Arena guy.

Ergo, if there really is a me-or-him scenario brewing in Jersey, Bradley has the allies in the right place and if goes to Payne and says "either he goes or I go," the odds are very much in Bradley's favor that Nick will be the one who is removed, likely as soon as the last stadium hurdle is cleared.

10. Perugina

Perugina Member

Aug 7, 2003
    Grand Rapids MI
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who is the common denominator in the Fire's success?

Peter Wilt

11. VortexUnited

VortexUnited New Member

Dec 5, 2000
    Bob's Our Bitch!!!

12. CUS

CUS New Member

Apr 20, 2000
  13. fatboy15

fatboy15 New Member

Mar 31, 2000
    LaPorte, IN, USA
    The one thing that alot of those idiots saying this is mostly Bob Bradley's team (well, mostly just arisrules) are forgetting, is that we lost Peter Nowak. You know why the metros have never been good? they've never had a Peter Nowak. even if he didn't play last season, not having him in practice this year changes alot.

14. Arisrules

Arisrules Member

Feb 19, 2000
    Washington, DC

What is it then idiot? 70% of the team is the same as last year, plus you get back two huge players that Bradley didn't have at his disposal last year, Armas adn whitfield. As for Nowak, he's played so few games for the Fire over the past two years as a result of injuries, that sadly the Fire learned to be ready to play without him more often then not. You really want to know why the Metros haven't been good?????? Because we don't have Wilt. I'd take Wilt over Nowak in a second.

15. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I say we combine Nowak DNA with Wilt DNA and spawn a super GM who can not only run the team off the field, but on it as well...with the occassional studs up tackle on Ruiz (preferably off the field).

16. dlm_Fire

dlm_Fire Member

Aug 16, 2002
    Chicago
    Personally, Arisrules, I would say the reason the metros haven't been good is because they have you. Now go mis-analyze somewhere else.

17. Haig

Haig Member+

May 14, 2000
    METROSTARS
    Club:
    --other--
    Dozens of DC fans can't be wrong.

But the amount of sheer assbilge that gets written on Big Soccer in a lame attempt to wind up Metros fans is staggering. And it hardly ever does anything except make whoever wrote it look like he's missing a sizeable chunk of his brain.

I mean, whether or not you actually wind some Metros fans up, you're the one who signs your name to a total heap of bullsiht. But it's your credibility, not mine, right?

18. HalaMadrid

HalaMadrid Member

Apr 9, 1999
    Game, set, match.

19. jjayg

jjayg New Member

May 9, 2002
    Rolling Ghettos, IL
    What heap of bullsiht exactly are you referring to there?

The upsetting metro's fan line was a joke. You either lost me somewhere or are lost. Please enlighten me.

20. Arisrules

Arisrules Member

Feb 19, 2000
    Washington, DC
    Call it mis-analysis if you want, however I am just basing my opinions on what I see from the players who are currently starting for the Fire, and do that day in day out. For the most part, except for 2 or 3 players who have been seeing consistent playing time recently (Ralph, Mapp, Pause, Williams??), most of the team is the same that would have started last year had Armas and Whitfield been healthy.

Am I that way off in saying that, and as a result of that reality still considering Bradley a major part of the Fire’s success??? The only person that said anything constructive was JoeW and he's a DC fan. Sure there were hard personnel decisions (mainly Nowak, Stoich was going to leave, Kovalenko was not playing as well, plus the Fire received Mapp in return, and Wolff seemed pleased to be going to KC), but again the basic point is that the players that were let go have not been big factors for the Fire the past two seasons. That is the reason they didn't do as well as they should have, because of the countless injuries the players suffered.

Sarachan's done a super job this season, especially with some of his pickups (Mapp and Ralph), and motivating you guys, especially at home where I think the Fire have lost only 1 game. But, I am not sure how you can honestly say that Bradley's stamp on the team has been erased given the presence of so many of his core players.

21. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    In all honesty the stamp I still see on the team is Nowak's. It's what I see in the quotes from our veteran players. I don't see any influence from Bob, but I do still see Nowak all over this team.

22. dlm_Fire

dlm_Fire Member

Aug 16, 2002
    Chicago
    My statement on your mis-analysis is that you fail to get that it is Sarachan's team. Bradley put a lot of those pieces in place, but even when everyone was there and healthy, we were not playing like we are now. Dave took what was there, made some horrendously tough choices (along with PW) that by dint of circumstance Bradley did not have to go through, and put a team on the field that has blown the freakin roof off what anyone expected of them.

Dave made it his team. I think he is doing a fine job. Calling it Bradley's team at this point is a disservice to a guy doin a fine job and were you here saying that to my face I would tweak your nose for trying to steal Dave's thunder.

The Metros are Bradley's team now, and it sure looks to me (from the games that I have seen) that he made the team his own in very short order as well. All credit there. I am not going to bring up Nick or any former coaches to try to lessen or greaten Bradley's accomplishments there (or here) because that wouldn't do justice to the job he does.