Bob, in the Gold Cup, please resist the urge to ...

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Captain10, Jul 4, 2009.

1. Captain10

Captain10 Member

Jul 26, 2000
    Marietta, GA
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ... pre-define substitutions at specific times. This 'experimental' Gold Cup is a time for letting the starters get into the rhythm of the game and let them come into their own.

When Rogers was subbed out in the Sweden game, he was just starting to get some good play going after first-half butterflies. I think he really would have had a great rest of the game, but he didn't get the chance.

Let the boys play! Especially Adu, Rogers, Holden ... let's see what they can do for a whole game! :)

Here's what I would like to see for the first game ...

-------- Davies ---- Quaranta ------

-- Rogers -- Adu -- Beckerman -- Holden

-- Pearce -- Goodson -- Marshall/Parkhurst -- Dolo

------------- Robles ----------------

Lets leave Guzan, Rico, Feilhaber, and Jozy out for a game or two and let them get their legs back. We can play them later.

On the other hand, Kljestan and Casey did not really provide much during the Confederations Cup -- they had their chance to impress (even in limited minutes) and failed to do so. Let's let the others that were called into camp get some minutes instead...

2. westsidepunk

westsidepunk Member

May 31, 2003
    Tucson, AZ
    I would also like to see this starting 11 tomorrow. But , for one, I am pretty sure the jersey numbers given on the roster release indicate Perkins will be in goal when we begin the group stage. pretty dissapointing in my mind. Robles has more upside than Perkins has eer had in his career.

3. Soccerprep

Soccerprep Member

Aug 26, 2005
    Lafayette, LA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    that is not necessarily the case. perkins may very well be the starter, but numbers are picked by the players based on seniority. perkins with one cap would have been able to pick before robles.

4. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

What he said. To be fair, the Sweden game was a one-off where Bob probably wanted to see as many guys as possible, but we have a whole tournament here. Rotate players between games, not during them. And let's not see a repeat of the Confederations Cup substitution patterns where it was the same subs over and over regardless of whether we were winning, losing, or tied.

5. Prime Time

Prime Time Member

May 1, 2004
    South Florida
    Oh, another Bob thread, what a surprise. :rolleyes:

None of the guys you mentioned here is with the team right now.

6. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    From what I remember, he was pretty random in Copa America.

7. Cujo1126

Cujo1126 New Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Adu cannot play center mid.

I would bet you serious money that if you asked him on twitter, he would tell you he can't play center mid.

In a 4-4-2, the only postions he can play are outside mid, and striker. So please revise you line-up accordingly.

8. Captain10

Captain10 Member

Jul 26, 2000
    Marietta, GA
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another complaint by Prime Time about a thread offering suggestions and ideas to the coaching staff and trying to call it a 'Bash Bob' thread, what a surprise... :rolleyes:

Ummmm ... how else is the team managed except through the coach? Changes in emphasis on play (fundamentals, shape, spacing, balance, etc.) and game managment are controlled by the coach.

Bob happens to be the coach right now .. so the logical target of the comment is Bob. Did you see any reference to him being fired? :rolleyes:

I guess you missed the news about CONCACAF making a concession to the representing Confederations Cup players -- those guys have been added to the list of available players. I don't know when they'll be in camp (or if they already are), but it makes sense to see what the other players can do for the early games.

It also should be noted that whatever these players' performance, because this is a B-C team, the showing could be somewhat different (maybe better, maybe worse) when the players are integrated with players from the 'A' team.

But it is important to see how they move on the field, their touch on the ball, speed of play, their anticipation, decision-making, and execution -- those qualities tell a lot about a player and how they might integrate with other top level players.