News: Bob Bradley speaks out

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by neems, Jan 18, 2018.

1. neems

neems Member+

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Apr 14, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I concur with your opinion and say that leaving Le Havre without achieving promotion was very premature.

If there is any criticism about Bradley at that point, it was maybe one of the only times he wasn't pragmatic enough.

Marko72 repped this.
  2. Fighting Illini

Fighting Illini Member+

Feb 6, 2014
    Chicago
    uhhh, Bob Bradley?

Zamphyr, gunnerfan7, deuteronomy and 4 others repped this.
  3. manfromgallifrey91

Swansea City
    United States
    Jul 24, 2015
    Wyoming, USA
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just reading players comments, talking to local coaches, leagues, and looking at comments from former players. Then listening to the top brass in the USSF, you can clearly see a massive disconnect. That has to get sorted. And to me the only way it gets done is if someone other than Cordeiro or Carter wins, totally breaking that connection at the top and setting a new course.

4. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    Bob speaks out? What did he speaks out about?

Same old blah..blah...blah...nothing worth seeing here.

5. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well I agree it wasn't wise to take the job in the first place, but once you take it, you have to do the job. And his only job was to avoid relegation. He wasn't getting the job done, so they had no choice but to sack him.

See, the thing is is that there is a standard approach on how manage a relegation zone club, and Bob didn't follow it. That is, build a strong defensive foundation and look to counter.

6. neems

neems Member+

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Apr 14, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When he actually speaks, it's a newsworthy event smokarz.

jnielsen repped this.
  7. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    I temper my criticism of him for the same reason with the understanding that Premier League jobs don't get handed out to Americans (anyone, really, but especially Americans at this point in history) on a regular basis. But still...

8. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    how long until Bob gets the can?

9. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Having every Gold Cup at home is terrible for our team. Even if the fans in the stands are mostly rooting for the rivals, it's not the same as having to travel and stay away for a couple of weeks in a "hostile atmosphere" to test ourselves.

Now we get invited to a Copa America and once again, doing the American Exclusivism thing, we're going to refuse going because of the water.

Maybe we should bribe FIFA to have every World Cup by our beds, too.

jnielsen and laxcoach repped this.
  10. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With the way things are going, every "home" game the US plays is going to look like the other country's capital city.

People have completely lost faith in the USSF and the men's team itself.

11. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Source on this?

Google comes up with nothing.

12. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    About us not going? It was reported on several places that Gulati said we wouldn't go, including by Grant Wahl, but now searching it looks all the articles and tweets about it have been removed. The only ones left are:

When things disappear like that, it's sometimes due to "misreporting."

13. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't have a twitter, so if it's not in an article, or not posted here, I'm probably not going to find it.

I do recall Gulati saying that, and there being a discussion on here about how stupid that was.

But, you're reporting conjecture as fact, then adding "we're going to refuse going because of the water", which may have been some kind of joke, but that wasn't obvious.

Hence why I asked where the source was. We may not go to the Copa America, which is a huge missed opportunity to play top-level competition, but it seems far from a foregone conclusion.

14. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    We've refused going several times, so it's a known joke over there, though: "the Yanks don't come because they're afraid of drinking the water."

Basically, it means giving silly excuses when you don't want to look bad. I thought it was clear, but I guess the meaning was lost in translation (actually, there is a joke about the line "I came to Casablanca because of the waters" --in French, "Je suis venu à Casablanca pour prendre les eaux," but "prendre" can mean not just to drink, but to grab, and you cannot grab water, so it's a jocose way to say "I came here to kill time").

15. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay.