BMO expansion

Discussion in 'Toronto FC' started by BVgolski07, Jan 7, 2008.

1. BVgolski07

BVgolski07 Member

Aug 8, 2007
    Milwaukee
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So I haven't heard anything about this lately. Are there already plans to expand the seating capacity? If so, what are they? Having 16,000 season ticket holders in a 20,000 seat stadium is unheard of in MLS and really shows the passion around this club. People always say on these boards to keep MLS stadiums around 25, but I really don't understand why you guys shouldn't shoot for 30 or 32. I'm guessin the 16,000 was cutoff because the need tix up for random sale each game, so high would the list have gone otherwise, i bet atleast 20k+. If TFC can put together a good on field product I really see them becoming the best club in the league

2. Kibby

Kibby Member

Dec 1, 2003
    Ottawa
    http://torontosun.com/Sports/OtherSports/2008/01/06/4755367-sun.html

3. BVgolski07

BVgolski07 Member

Aug 8, 2007
    Milwaukee
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    nice, it'd be cool if someone had a bigger stadium than the gals

4. ike_11

ike_11 New Member

Jul 27, 2007
    Near London Ontario
    Club:
    Liverpool LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I think that BMO should at least expand to 30000, maybe even 40. They should put a second tier on the side viewed by the television audience, and also add seats to the one open end, and maybe add a tier to the closed end. Also I'd be happy if after they got to their target size they put an english style roof over all the tiers to keep out the rain and the glare -what do you think? I'm interested in hearing the number of people who were denied season seats cause the limit was reached.

5. Atomic Moog

Atomic Moog New Member

Jul 3, 2007
    Toronto, ON
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    agreed, ike.

but I think 30,000 would be sufficient for now. It would at least eliminate the season ticket waiting list.

6. Looogie

Looogie We're Red, We're White

Jul 2, 2007
    Canada
    The waiting list is back over 5k, ticket reps are now telling people that newly listed accounts will take over 4 years to get season tickets at current renewal rates.

7. Camcamy

Camcamy New Member

Apr 14, 2007
    Toronto
    4 years is not to bad. I believe if you put down deposits for the NFL's philly eagles, ( I know I know, apples and oranges) at the current rate you'll get your tickets in 4000 years. Green Bay is not as bad, you'd get your tickets in a millenium or so.

As for Expansion, too early. Someone suggested 40K, why? So we can see empty seat? I say wait 5 years, and expand five, maybe seven thousand.

8. Carlyle

Carlyle New Member

Nov 2, 2007
    Toronto
    Wow, Looking back at last October when I took a chance and payed out MLSE for two season's tickets down on section 124 I didn't think this response would be this overwhelming. Anyone attend that first BBQ on the North East corner of the stadium when it was nothing but a lot of scaffolding? That was a good day.

I agree, high 20s is probably big enough, bigger than that you might start running into issues. Remember people as far as soccer is concerned, large scale soccer specific stadiums are for the most part unheard of in North America.

I don't think they will ever put a roof on this stadium. They just invested a whole lot of money on a winter bubble for the field. I would think it will be difficult to get it up and down with a roof on top of it but I guess if they can measure it out anything is possible.

102 days until the Home Opener and counting... :eek:

9. TFCMANU

TFCMANU Member

Apr 19, 2007
    Parkdale/Newmarket
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Went to that first BBQ @ BMO.

10. TFC07

TFC07 Member

May 19, 2007
    Brampton, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I hope BMO adds 10,000 more seats and real grass. A lot of players (espeically CMNT) are complaining about the turf. Since BMO is home of CMNT and Canadian Soccer in general, it is worth taking their concern seriously.

11. Carlyle

Carlyle New Member

Nov 2, 2007
    Toronto
    I don't think the City of Toronto is going to add real grass any time soon unfortunately. It all comes down to cost for the city, they rent out BMO field to rec leagues for basically $500 an hour in the winter with a buble up, they couldn't do that with real grass. It requires almost no upkeep for the field, real grass requires a lot of time, seed, water and work..... so guess what, we are stuck with turf guys.

12. Macksam

Macksam Member

Aug 2, 2007
    Brampton, Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Good, than we will be the first to do it.

13. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    Way too big for now (at least at 40 k). The crowd is great at BMO Field - I love going to games. A bit part of why the fans can generate the atmosphere we do, however, is that the stadium is sold out.

I'd rather see a gradual increase to 25 k and maybe up to 30 k later on. Keep the sold out atmosphere. Also keep the waiting list so that ticket demand stays high for when the team isn't having the best of times on the field.