Blues Sign Scottish Striker Russell

Discussion in 'Orange County SC' started by LA_Blues, Dec 8, 2011.

1. LA_Blues

LA_Blues Member

Apr 4, 2011
    Fullerton, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    'The Los Angeles Blues are excited to announce they have signed forward Allan Russell for the 2012 USL PRO season, pending league approval. The 30-year-old comes to Southern California following a successful career in his native Scotland as well as most recently with the Carolina Railhawks of the NASL, whom he helped to the Regular Season Championship this year..."

More: http://labluesprosoccer.com/home/584633.html

Any thoughts on the latest Blues signing?

2. Stilger

Stilger Member

Nov 7, 2002
    Orange County
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds like a good signing, don't know anything about the guy but it sounds like he can play at our level.

Any news on what players from last years roster will definitely be invited back to camp and which ones are defiantly gone?

LA_Blues, I know you can't release specifics, what kind of salaries are given to players in this division? Are you able to tell us in a ball park fashion what teams generally hold their team budgets to? I’m just curious.

3. LA_Blues

LA_Blues Member

Apr 4, 2011
    Fullerton, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We generally don't disclose what free agents are or will be working out with us, since we don't want to feed into any rumors of them signing with us and that way make them less interesting for other teams. What I will say is that there have been a lot of familiar faces in camp but that the majority of next season's roster will be players who weren't on the team this year.

Currently signed for 2012 are:
    - Carlos Borja (*)
    - Israel Sesay (*)
    - Erlys Garcia (*)
    - Allan Russell

* On the team in 2011

Per club policy, I am unfortunately unable to provide any budget or salary information. An interesting topic for a thread on BigSoccer perhaps? :)

4. CHHSfan

CHHSfan Member

Oct 30, 2010
    Chapel Hill
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good luck to Alan. We didn't get to see much of him as he was behind the #1 and #2 goalscorers in the league, but what we saw was pretty good.

5. LA_Blues

LA_Blues Member

Apr 4, 2011
    Fullerton, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, for Allan personally it was a rather unfortunate situation, with Barbara and Campos both having standout seasons. We firmly believe that when given consistent playing time, he has the potential to be as valuable for the Blues next year as those two were for the Railhawks in 2011.

I'm sure Allan appreciates the words of encouragement from his former home!

6. Stilger

Stilger Member

Nov 7, 2002
    Orange County
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank you for the information. I suppose if we are expecting a better finish it stands to reason the team will be overhauled and upgraded.

Thank you for at least addressing my question. While I know teams at this level don't release financials I thought you might be able to give general league wide ballpark numbers (averages?) without releasing any sensitive information. As someone who works with numbers the financials of sports fascinates me.

7. LA_Blues

LA_Blues Member

Apr 4, 2011
    Fullerton, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is certainly the objective.

I actually found a thread on this topic. It's a few years old, but a lot of the posts seem fairly well-informed and the numbers haven't changed dramatically since then. Hope this helps ==> https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=332912