Blue Lions at Atlanta July 27 [R]

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by Heeligan2, Jul 27, 2002.

1. tritonspirit

tritonspirit New Member

Atlanta Beat

Good one Oddball#34. :D

Also don't forget that Atlanta still lost the season series to the Courage again this year just like they did last season. :D

2. Heeligan2

Heeligan2 Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Earthaven, NC
    Go Courage!

3. phats_away

phats_away Member

Jul 28, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga
    Re: Atlanta Beat

um. and has sd won any series at all this season against anyone but maybe the ny power?

4. Ludahai

Ludahai New Member

Jun 22, 2001
    Taichung, Taiwan
    Re: Birgit

Watching the tape today, I have two more comments to make.

TR - She was an idiot. After getting the yellow for arguing, she should have backed off. Continuing to show up the official gave him no choice but to issue the red.

Prinz and the boards - at the match, it was hard for me to see exactly what happened because it was on the near side touch line downfield from my seat. Seeing it on tape completely vindicates Nonen from your vicious attack. Prinz was coming hard on the ball. Nonen was shielding the ball. As Prinz tried to come around Nonen at full speed, Nonen shifted to protect the ball. There was slight contact, but because Prinz was at full speed, she lost her balance and crashed in the boards. Prinz was still lucky to be in the match at that point because she should have gotten a second yellow a few seconds earlier for the dive. Nonen did push her on that play and deserved the yellow she received. However, Prinz dove on the push and should have been issued a yellow, which would have been her second of the match.

5. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    Re: Re: Birgit

I'll ask the question again but rephrased differently....

Should a teammate have intervened when TR was bitching out the ref?

6. phats_away

phats_away Member

Jul 28, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga
    Re: Re: Re: Birgit

i think they should have but they didn't til she got the red. it was the last min of the game, getting a red card served no purpose

7. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Birgit

That's a tough call. She's wearing the armband. The social hierarchy demands that the others defer to her judgement. That was always my biggest peeve with John Harkes and the Men's National Team. He kept picking up needless dissent yellows for whining. If another player was complaining to the ref, it would have been Tiff's job to decide whether to step in or not.

Other players should not lightly usurp the captain's perogative. Showing up the captain might possibly have carried worse ramifications than letting her get the red.

We'll see.

8. phats_away

phats_away Member

Jul 28, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Birgit

yeah, but she got too emotional. she didn' think, and you can see that after she got the red. she hurts her team more being gone the next match than arguing w/ the ref

9. Ludahai

Ludahai New Member

Jun 22, 2001
    Taichung, Taiwan
    Re: Re: Re: Birgit

Absolutely, yes. There is usually a pecking order on the field. Another team leader should have intervened after she got the yellow. On teams where I was not a captain, I was generally regarded as a leader on the team, and team leaders are expected to know when to get in there and prevent the captain from doing more harm than good.

As an assistant coach for the past season, the head coach told me that one of my jobs was to intervene if it looked like he might get a red card. It works for players and coaches.