Blockbuster Trade in MLS

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by JCUnited, Jan 12, 2005.

1. JCUnited

JCUnited Member

Oct 7, 2002
    South Bend, IN
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Haven't seen it mentioned yet, but ESPN.com is reporting (via a Marc Connelly source) that the Columbus Crew will trade Tony Sanneh to Chicago Fire for Ante Razov, and then possibly the Crew will send Ante to Metrostars for Eddie Pope.

2. Saeyddthe

Saeyddthe Member

Sep 5, 2003
    St. Looney ^the CB&J
    Out of all that, I don't understand why Crew would want Eddie Pope?

3. IRguy

IRguy Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Vermont
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    if they want to move back to a 4 man back line they will need him, i was waiting to see how long before Ante is moved and to where.

4. Saeyddthe

Saeyddthe Member

Sep 5, 2003
    St. Looney ^the CB&J
    What about Marshall & Fraser then?

You don't like Fraser in a 4-4-2?

5. IRguy

IRguy Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Vermont
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i think marshall will be out side agian, but i agree i don't like fraser in a 4 man backline either, but remmber Fraser is pretty old now too he may not be around long. also don't forget the long Allewi(sic) in the draft in novermber to the have a hole to fill on D.

6. soccergc20

soccergc20 New Member

Aug 2, 2004
    Grove City, OH
    That would be pointless to go thru all of that. If the Crew does trade tony and they get Ante, i say keep him even tho they dont need him that bad. The crew really dosent need another defender. In fact i say keep tony.

7. IRguy

IRguy Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Vermont
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    keeping Ante would be just a pointless becouse that would give them 4 starting forwards. Martino, Bubble, Cunningham and Ante. Unless i missed something! Tony is more of a mid in MLS and i think the crew has a lot of mids that are pretty good. so i think this is a good moive for all teams. The metro's are hurting badly for a striker.

8. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York
    I wonder what happens to Ruiz now that Pope is probably going to C-Bus.

9. IRguy

IRguy Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Vermont
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    good question? the best fit may still be the metro's but what are they gong to give up for him? or maybe SJ ching is going to need some help

10. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    They just got A. Moreno to fill that gap. Ruiz to Dallas (probably for an allocation and picks)?

11. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't believe this one. The Crew simply have no need for Pope. They paid big time last year to get Fraser, they have Marshall and Wingert with Elliott and Szetela in front of them. Pope just doesn't fit.

We DO know that Metros are shopping Pope around: LA, Chicago, CBus and New England have all been mentioned. I think Columbus is the least likely of all those possibilities.

12. JCUnited

JCUnited Member

Oct 7, 2002
    South Bend, IN
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Hard C is standing firm on it. He even mentions the trade in his mock draft article on ESPN.com. Says his info comes from a "strong source".

13. dawgpound2

dawgpound2 Member

Mar 3, 2001
    Los Angeles, CA
    My source tells me that Ruiz is likely not to be traded. Unfortunately, he didn't say Ruiz was CERTAIN to stay in LA.

14. EyesOnBall

EyesOnBall Member

Jun 14, 2004
    Why would cbus trade Sanneh...Sanneh came back to MLS and wanted to be in cbus only...so this doesn't make sense. then again i could be wrong which wouldn't be the first time.

15. MFRONE

MFRONE Member+

Jul 24, 2000
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    If anyone saw the Crew crash and burn out of the playoffs, then you should know why they want to trade Sanneh. There is no room for him on the field with Wingert and Danzilla showing so much progress.

Plus Chicago is closer to Minnesota so I'm sure he wouldn't mind it there.

16. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another stupid blockbuster trade. When will MLS clubs realize they need to be build fan affiliation. The revolving door makes it that much more difficult for fans to really identify with the clubs.

17. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    That was more the Druler's fault then Sanneh's.

18. murtaugh29

murtaugh29 New Member

Oct 4, 2004
    roja LOCURA
    Razov's been here 6 seasons. That;s awhile. Things aren't working out like they have in the past for the cost Razov has on our salary cap.

I don't think this is a case of 'revolving door'. And I'll thank you not to presume how to instruct Chicago on how to build their club identity and fan affiliation.

19. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078

because this is soccer, players' careers are short, fan affiliation should occur with the team first... players secondary, maybe if your club hadn't gone through tweny i/o's, changed names and going to have to move soon... you'd understand

it's completely stupid to say i'm a fire fan because they have razov... i was a razov fan because he was on the fire... i'll thank him for his service, but i hope he chokes every time we play him... you can say the same with beasley and bocanegra

i'm a fire fan now, i'm a fire fan tomorrow and i'll be a fire fan in 40 years... ******** who is on the fire... i'm a damn fire fan

20. NeilB

NeilB Member

Mar 17, 2000
    Mount Kisco, NY
    What was it that Jerry Seinfeld used to say? Some thing also the lines of when you are rooting for a team you're really rooting for laundry.