Blanco assault

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by DC Braveheart, Jul 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JonboyDC

JonboyDC New Member

Jun 18, 2007
    D.C.
    It also doesn't show Blanco headbutting the DCU employee off the field. To my way of thinking, that's the real crime here -- dirty play on the field is bad, and we should expect the officials and the league to do a better job of punishing it. But physically attacking someone off the field? I don't understand why Blanco didn't spend the night in a Montgomery County lockup.

2. DogHouse

DogHouse New Member

Oct 31, 2007
    Poolesville, MD
    Wow. Just wow. I was there and saw it but on film it looks much more sinister. Granted this didn't happen in an MLS sanctioned match but MLS needs to level some pretty heavy fines or penalties for this type of behavior. Cuz other players are gonna look at this and say: Hey, look what we can get away with. And before you know it we're gonna wind up with hockey on grass.

3. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    So, a professional athlete and one of the higest-profile players in his sport in this country allegedly assaults civilians and cops and there isn't any media coverage of it?

Either this didn't actually happen or there is a pretty big cover-up going on.

4. revelation

revelation Member+

Dec 17, 1998
    FC St. Pauli
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Or there is no video coverage and those involved (i.e. the teams and MLS and Mont County Cops) are saying "no comment", which leaves a reporter with little to go on outside of Internet rumor. Now, if witnesses went to the WPost with their version of events, that might help but I doubt it.

5. City Dave

City Dave Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [youtube]16tKRQMSNEg[/youtube]

6. K

K BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 16, 1999
    DC, Fake America
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or maybe there is video and MLS, US Soccer and people's attorneys are figuring out how to handle (there certainly are corroberating witnesses who have posted here).

K

7. Blondie4DCU

Blondie4DCU New Member

Aug 25, 2005
    DC
    Don't be so rational.

8. ImNumberTen

ImNumberTen Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Paranoid much? "Cover up"?

In our culture if there is no video it didn't happen. Sad but true. Do you think Rodney King or any other high profile police brutality case would have made the news if not for the video? (not to pick on cops, just the example that comes to mind)

And let's not forget we're talking soccer here. The media gives it very limited coverage anyway. And it was a match not even played in a stadium.

All we can hope for is that someone got cell phone video of the incident. If not, there will be very little media attention. And maybe there will be enough eyewitness accounts to force USSF and MLS to do something (not holding my breath).

9. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Hence the term cover-up.

If the reporters can't get anyone to tell them what happened, I dont fault them for not reporting anything.

But either something happened and it's being kept quiet or nothing much happened.

10. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, those are the only two possible options.

11. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Do you really think MLS and US Soccer want it made public that one of its highest profile players melted down and assaulted team personnel and cops?

If they don't have to disclose that it happened to the public, they won't. MLS is very sensitive to bad publicity and doesn't like to acknowledge when their players screw up.

As for the lack of video, while moving pictures would be nice, if there were quotes from witnesses or from team officials admitting something happened and commenting on it, that would at least affirm that something did occur after Blanco was tossed by the ref.

While video would be better, it's not essential to getting to the bottom of this.

What would be helpful is if MLS/USSF/DCU or the Fire came forward and commented for the record on what happened, or didn't happen. But I'm not holding my breath on that unless some reporter gets some quotes from witnesses and someone from the teams or league or fed has to comment in response to the witness accounts.

But since most of this alleged stuff happened where almost everyone there is a team, league or USSF official I'm not holding my breath on witness accounts.

Which brings us back to the cover up theory.

12. DogHouse

DogHouse New Member

Oct 31, 2007
    Poolesville, MD
    Has anyone checked the Chicago newspapers?

13. QPR Kevin H

QPR Kevin H BigSoccer Supporter

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Do they even cover soccer?

14. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or it's soccer and the media doesn't give a shit.

Check with Jim Rome later today

15. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. DecadeOfDCU26

DecadeOfDCU26 Member+

May 2, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What a dirty ********.

17. JRHokie

JRHokie Member+

Aug 23, 2001
    Fairfax, VA
    Nah - too good for him. Let's send him over to the PG County jail, Housing Unit 5. They'll take good care of him. ;)

18. DCU_Rick

DCU_Rick New Member

Aug 16, 2006
    Right behind you.
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Trib did not mention the incident. Blanco is not even written into the brief piece.

The Suntimes writes that Burch's retaliation on Blanco came for knocking the ball from Simms hand (which, by the way, it doesn't appear he did).

19. ImNumberTen

ImNumberTen Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree that MLS will not be eager to publicize the incident. No sports league wants this kind of publicity. It's the media attention that would force their hand and I'm afraid that without video (or at least stills) the media won't give a damn.

I'm not disagreeing with you all that much, actually, I just think the term "cover up" implies underhanded or dishonest means to squash something, whereas I would imagine MLS and the Fire are thinking more along the lines of "thanks God this wasn't on TV" and "let's not acknowledge it until we have to."

It's not not right, but it's also not surprising.

Hopefully they'll have to.

20. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    It also claims that Blanco entered after Namoff's goal which pretty much kills any credibility that blurb had.

21. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No one said it was good coverage.

22. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's been 12 hours.

First and 10 "simmah" take the snap drop back find "down" in the end zone for a touchdown. "Now" I come on and kick the extra point. Simmah to down followed by now, and it's Simmah down now!

Not every incident has to be reported, tried and resolved in half a day. It's not freaking Law and Order.

23. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Yeah, the Tribune's online report, sans a byline, was three paragraphs and didn't mention Blanco once.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune...go-fire-dc-united-us-open-cup,1,7466439.story

Their Fire writer mentioned the game in his blog and said Blanco got tossed but had nothing about the alleged incident. I'm pretty sure he wasn't sent to the game. (ie the Trib didn't pay for him to go.)

http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/soccer_redcard/

The Sun-Times also had a report without a byline, slightly longer than the Tribune's. It mentioned Blanco getting ejected but nothing about this alleged incident with the staffers and cops.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/soccer/fire/1046231,CST-SPT-fire09.article

Maybe their reporters will follow-up on this and we'll see something on it from Chicago. But I'm still not holding my breath.

24. DogHouse

DogHouse New Member

Oct 31, 2007
    Poolesville, MD
    not much

Chicago SunTimes link.

Chicago Tribune link. Lame. Makes no mention of the incident at all

25. toomanywords

toomanywords Member

Feb 25, 2002
    Washington, D.C.
    Club:
    DC United
    If no one pressed charges, the cops aren't likely to talk about it -- especially the Maryland National Capital Park Police cops, who have little incentive to help out a guy from the Post sports desk who they've never talked to before and probably never will again. It's too bad, but that's sort of how covering cops goes.