Black Lives Matters and MLS

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by BalanceUT, Jul 27, 2020.

?

Where do you stand with respect to the Black Lives Matters movement and MLS's promotion of it?

Poll closed Aug 3, 2020.
  1. BLM is largely good for the USA and MLS's promotion and implementation is good

23 vote(s)
    74.2%
  2. BLM is largely good for the USA and MLS's promotion is OK, but has problems of coercion of employees

3 vote(s)
    9.7%
  3. BLM is largely good for the USA but MLS shouldn't be involved with promoting it

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. BLM is generally bad for the USA, therefore MLS's promotion is bad, too

5 vote(s)
    16.1%
  5. Other, please write if meaningfully different from the above.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, where do you stand? Who votes for which choice will NOT be publicly displayed.

Guinho repped this.
  2. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In before lock/move

Quinn 33, jaykoz3, sitruc and 6 others repped this.
  3. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since many, including moderators, are speaking on such matters with impunity in the MLS is Back Tournament, The Bubble, and The Virus thread, seems to me this fits here as well... or those do not fit in that thread.

4. UnitedBorn

UnitedBorn Member+

Dec 7, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If MLS is genuine in their attempt to promote social Justice and equality I support the movement.

If they are doing this to pander and avoid the “silence is violence “ crowd angry tweeting at them I don’t support it.

Honore de Ballsac and POdinCowtown repped this.
  5. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    MLS is a business and nothing more. Anything they chose to do was done in the interest of good business. The hard part to understand is that this is actually fine.

JasonMa repped this.
  6. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I was convinced that MLS would be as open to the idea that all lives matter [and this includes all those black lives that Black Lives Matter removes from consideration because their politics are not of the Left] as they are for this movement, then I'd say "whatever".
    I'm not remotely convinced.

davidRN repped this.
  7. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    This has been explained so many times that at this point you're either trolling or intentionally ignoring everything being said.

jjmack, superdave, sitruc and 1 other person repped this.
  8. UnitedBorn

UnitedBorn Member+

Dec 7, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Plenty of businesses use cause related marketing to support causes they actually believe in.

9. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    I don't like that. Businesses should't have beliefs. They should make money.

10. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The problem with your answer is that you apparently think that we are dependent on folks such as you to provide "information" on what is, or is not, in this world. As if Black Lives Matter, and the political cause that its founders embrace, and its clear delineation between those black lives that matter, and those that do not, is not a matter of record, in written thought and in practical action, for a number of years now. As if we cannot see for ourselves, and require you to interpret what is truth.

What is trolling is the Left's political activists openly using a sport's platform for the advancement of their agenda, and then shutting down response -other than "of course, Komrad"- as "trolling".

Do a little thought experiment: Imagine the use of these boards, or MLS's use of its games and equipment, to advocate, say, for the full Bill of Rights? And then whenever you'd rise to question if political partisanship is what soccer forums are about, you'd be simply dismissed as a troll.

Not that self-awareness is your strength.

davidRN and butters59 repped this.
  11. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All Lives Matter has been adopted by the alt-right with the purpose of undermining the Black Lives Matter movement.

As things stand you'll only hear it from the far-right.

jjmack, Guinho, SetPeace and 4 others repped this.
  12. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Learn to read the room. If your opinion isn't welcome don't share it unless you are doing it for self-entertainment (trolling).

I respect good trolling. You are not it.

hipityhop repped this.
  13. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    People equating getting cancelled for their opinions on Twitter to Nazism / Soviet Russia, when there is a literal secret police disappearing protesters has been my favorite part of 2020. Talk about the haves and have-nots, eh?

Guinho, SetPeace, sitruc and 3 others repped this.
  14. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh look, a thinly veiled reference to the Marxism claim that BLM's actual mission statement doesn't back up, much less the vast majority of people supporting them. SMH

sitruc repped this.
  15. PTFC in KCMO

PTFC in KCMO Member+

Aug 12, 2012
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    If your house is on fire and they hose down the neighbors house while letting yours burn, would you be ok with that? After all, all houses matter.

of course, everyones lives matter. It is just that at this particular point in time, our black friends need help.

if you can’t see that, then i cant help ya fella.

Guinho, superdave, SetPeace and 8 others repped this.
  16. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dang...this thread has already lasted longer than I thought it would. The Over/Under was likely 2 Hours, lol

17. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sarcasm font?

18. Papin

Papin BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 19, 1998
    le côté obscur
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's amazing to me that there are so many people who feel threatened by a movement fighting for human rights. It's almost as if they can't stand the thought of saying that Black lives actually matter.

Guinho, sitruc, KCbus and 4 others repped this.
  19. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    That's untrue. A large majority of the public agrees with the proposition that "All Lives Matter".

Here are results from a pollster on which proposition is closer to their own views. Even a plurality of black respondents prefer "All Lives Matter"

https://www.rasmussenreports.com/pu...30_say_black_lives_matter_more_than_all_lives

davidRN repped this.
  20. Papin

Papin BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 19, 1998
    le côté obscur
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That survey is asking whether black lives matter MORE than other lives, which is not at all what the statement "black lives matter" is saying. Then again, it is Rasmussen so I'm not surprised they would frame it that way.

Guinho, sitruc, m_vandersee and 3 others repped this.
  21. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    Nope, the question asked was which of the 2 statements better reflected their own views.

22. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Apr 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I keep seeing people say this, but I'm not sure they actually understand what being "disappeared" means. People are being arrested by federal agents. Arrests go into the public record along with the crimes that person is charged with. There is a paper trail and anybody can see who, what, where, and why.

People being actually "disappeared" ala Stalin, Pinochet, or whatever the despot of choice is, means no such paper trail exists.

23. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Americans love imagining themselves as oppressed because they've never actually been oppressed.

davidRN, SierraSpartan and Quinn 33 repped this.
  24. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know! I'm surprised, too!

25. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    White male Americans you mean. Or are we suggesting past Americans (like, for example, freed slaves) were never oppressed?

sitruc and superdave repped this.