BL MD 17: Leverkusen - BVB

Discussion in 'Borussia Dortmund' started by hava, Feb 8, 2020.

1. hava

hava Member+

Apr 30, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Bürki
    Akanji Hummels Zagadou
    Hakimi Can Witsel Guerreiro
    Sancho Haaland Brandt

Despite all what was written, Can gets his start in midfield and Brandt is pulled forward. It's not Brandt's best position but he has the tendency to be a bit careless with the ball. I'm not that opposed to strengthening the midfield against Leverkusen.
    I want to give Can a chance and hope it wasn't money wasted. I think this is a position where he can be more useful for us against certain teams. Brandt is better for offensive purposes, of course, but I surely think and hope Can isn't useless concerning that aspect.

On Leverkusen's side, besides the guys we've known from previous games, I'd look out for Diaby who can be very dangerous. Despite Leverkusen's loss, he looked good last week.

2. hava

hava Member+

Apr 30, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    1:0 Leverkusen after 20 minutes. Another one of those defensive collapses we know too well.
    Hummels answers right away after a corner.

3. hava

hava Member+

Apr 30, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Offside goal by Leverkusen called back but our defense looked bad yet again.

4. hava

hava Member+

Apr 30, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Stunning goal by Can to give us the lead...

5. hava

hava Member+

Apr 30, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    2:2 at halftime. Offensively we are doing ok but we could have played several situations better. Defensively it's not convincing.

6. hava

hava Member+

Apr 30, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    3:2 Sancho.
    Goal called back because Reyna made an absolutely useless foul. But the goal would have been scored despite the foul. Still 2:2.

7. hava

hava Member+

Apr 30, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Guerreiro scores after Havertz should have scored and only hit the post. Lucky chain of events for us. But well played by Sancho and Hakimi to set this up.

8. Scheherazade

Scheherazade Member

Jun 4, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Lead restored after Reyna showed why total newbs shouldnt be subbed on in the middle of undecided games. Same reason why Guardiola never plays the kids. Our defence is shit but Leverkusen's defence is worse by a small margin.

9. hava

hava Member+

Apr 30, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Leverkusen scores two quick goals...we were begging for it with minutes of Favre ball and just waiting for them to score and putting our trust in our ability to defend.

10. eaglespark

eaglespark Member+

Apr 9, 2015
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    I am confused. Guardiola not playing the kids is a very bad thing. Dortmund playing the kids is good.

Anyway typical Favre, we have given up this season by keeping him in charge. All we can hope for is top 4 and we will get knocked out by PSG.

11. hava

hava Member+

Apr 30, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Favre finally reacts in the 86th minute for the final subs. The game was slipping away before that.

astrophyz repped this.
  12. massBVB

massBVB New Member

Borussia Dortmund
    Germany
    Feb 13, 2019
    favre is a small club coach, but most of the fans and the management I think are ok with that...

13. Scheherazade

Scheherazade Member

Jun 4, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    How bad must Balerdi be in training that Akanji gets to start every game.

Blueberry_night, kbvb and astrophyz repped this.
  14. HockeytownHeel

HockeytownHeel Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    Jul 23, 2018
    what a terrible 2nd half

15. HockeytownHeel

HockeytownHeel Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    Jul 23, 2018
    defensively where are the break downs occurrin...couldnt watch today

16. Oliseh

Oliseh Member

Borussia Dortmund
    Croatia
    Nov 29, 2019
    Reyna cant play the whole second half in important game like this ahead of Hazard or Gotze, its ridiculous. He didnt do anything except denied our goal.
    Our defence is horrible, its like every time ball goes into our half, its dangerous...
    Well bye bye Bundesliga..
    I guess Favre wont be hear next season, but the problem is that he had to go in this winter pause, big mistake...

Alex C repped this.
  17. Oliseh

Oliseh Member

Borussia Dortmund
    Croatia
    Nov 29, 2019
    Brandt is extremely important for us, i would say he is currently more important than Reus for our game

Blueberry_night and astrophyz repped this.
  18. eaglespark

eaglespark Member+

Apr 9, 2015
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    He had to go in the summer and at latest before the international break in October.

The sad thing is there is no chance we are going to keep this great team together.

Sancho might already be our best player and he will leave. Hakimi will leave, Weigl has gone and Dahoud will go.

Alex C repped this.
  19. hava

hava Member+

Apr 30, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    We didn't even create a chance in the last 10 minutes after falling behind. Headless football without a plan.
    I also don't get why Brandt was subbed at the half. I didn't see him as bad, maybe an injury issue.

At the top of my head, balls between our CBs to guys with too much space and missing the offside trap, and corners/long balls into our box. 2 each of those situations, I think.

20. Oliseh

Oliseh Member

Borussia Dortmund
    Croatia
    Nov 29, 2019
    In 21 games we conceded 32 goals.. Sorry, but you cant compete for a title with that kind of defence..
    We have 13 games till the end and its very possible that we will concede more than 50 goals.. That amount of goals average concedes teams that are 8-15 positioned

21. Scheherazade

Scheherazade Member

Jun 4, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    There's no one answer, it depends on the player qualities and position. Pep plays Foden in an advanced role in meaningless games every now and then, to keep English fans happy and reduce the defensive load. The nearer you play to the goal, the more costly a misplaced pass is and the more experienced a player needs to be. A winger misplacing a pass is not as bad as a CM or CB fcking up a backpass.

Player wise: if they rarely foul and misplace a pass, sure. Reyna is not that level yet in his previous games he gives the ball away which is dangerous vs Bayer.

Position: playing a teenager at striker or winger is OK, a lot of coaches do it because these positions have less defensive responsibilities. AM, CM, fullback, centerback all require more defensive skills to read the game, not foul when tackling and stamina to press. Notice we play Mor, Dembele, Gotze, Sancho, Pulisic as winger and loaned out FBs and midfielders Passlack, Toljan, Burnic.

22. hava

hava Member+

Apr 30, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nothing wrong with using the youth and errors are part of the learning process. You usually build them up and ease them in carefully. But a coach also has to consider the dynamics of a game and the opponent. Even in the first half it was clear that we cannot defend shit. The solution obviously wasn't to take out Brandt and bring a young winger. I have to assume there were injury issues, or maybe Brandt's appearance, playing against his old team, was seen as too passive.
    Hazard did nothing to deserve this kind of reduction of minutes. He's a smart, team oriented player that also works hard against the ball.

On the positive side, Favre has to see enough in training to trust Reyna so there is something to look forward to.
    If Brandt had no issues, it's tinkering around a bit too much, though. That's also in relation to the formation. It seems it was a 4-1-4-1. It often looked like the usual 3 in the back but Hakimi seemed to be a winger and Akanji at times was an RB which was a big fail. Hakimi had very few good scenes and Akanji as RB worked out neither defensively nor offensively.

Blueberry_night and Scheherazade repped this.
  23. astrophyz

astrophyz Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Boston, USA
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Egypt
    I really don't know who to blame here, but our defense looked like it wasn't even there. Every ball in behind the defense was basically a 1-on-1 with the keeper.

4-3-2-1 has the advantage of having 3 central midfielders who can help buildup AND width which allows us to use 2 of our talented wingers. But on the downside, having 2 CBs has sucked for us all season.

Is it individual mistakes? Slow CB's?
    Is it that both Akanji and Hakimi were played out of position?
    Is it that the defensive midfielders don't track back runs from the midfield?

Question marks for Favre:
    I see no reason to take out Brandt at half-time, unless he was injured. Reyna did well, but why take out Brandt when he's in amazing form? Also, why play 2 players out of position (Hakimi & Akanji) and bench Hazard, for whom I think the 4-2-3-1 would have been ideal?

Also, how many goals did Volland score against us?

24. astrophyz

astrophyz Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Boston, USA
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Egypt
    On the positive side, that team goal finished by Guerreiro just shows how good we can be in attack with the talent we have, as well as the goal that was cancelled. Reminders of BVB style football.

But defense matters too :/

25. Oliseh

Oliseh Member

Borussia Dortmund
    Croatia
    Nov 29, 2019
    We are 10th in the league for conceding goals...... I just looked the table, thats embarassing