Birmingham City vs. Arsenal (Prediction/Thoughts)

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by Catfish, Nov 14, 2003.

1. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I'm going with a 1-0 result for The Arsenal. BC play pretty tough defense that is why I have it as such a low scoring affair.

Go Gunners!

2. Gunners11

Gunners11 Member

Jul 22, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    2-0 to the Arsenal. This is a good setup to the big CL match next week. I think to get a result next week we need to win this one, if for nothing else, confidence.

3. naggi

naggi Member

Feb 15, 2002
    san francisco
    I am not optimistic about this one for a number of reasons:

* Suspensions will mean we field a line-up that is not used to playing together
    * Players will have their mind on the Inter game
    * We are never good after international break
    * Birmingham have a good defense
    * We are due for a loss

I'll see how I feel in a week's time.

4. TxTechGooner

TxTechGooner we're having fun here, no?

Feb 24, 2003
    anyone else going to the match??? finally the boys comin to the midlands!! i'm stoked~! I hope there is no INTERNATIONAL hangover...

phishy~

5. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Is this game on TV?

6. goonerooni

goonerooni Member

May 21, 2003
    Hertfordshire
    'fraid not, i was waiting for someone to make their minds up on going, by the time that got sorted out its now a sell-out.

7. AUSGunner

AUSGunner New Member

Oct 18, 2003
    Adelaide, Australia
    1-1 ... or 1-0 to Birmingham :(

8. Detlef

Detlef Member

Jul 20, 2001
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It's on the Fox Sports World Pay Per View package.

9. dwinkler

dwinkler New Member

Aug 11, 2000
    Denver, CO
    Which means it shows up 3 days later on FSW. Check your local listings.

10. michaec

michaec Member

Arsenal
    England
    May 24, 2001
    Essex
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    With all our suspensions/injuries you would have thought that our midfield will be thin enough. But add to this the fact that Gilberto won't be back from Brazil until late Thursday or early Friday, so it's unlikely he'll play. So a midfield of Pires-Edu-Ljungberg-Wiltord is on the cards. Attacking for sure, but who's going to win the midfield battles against Robbie Savage? If Keown is fit I can see Wenger pushing Toure into midfield for this match. Whatever way you look at it it will be usatisfactory.

11. Coach_McGuirk

Coach_McGuirk New Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Between the Pipes
    Is this how we should refer to your hangovers, phishy?

12. Coach_McGuirk

Coach_McGuirk New Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Between the Pipes
    I think Edu is more than capable of handling Savage, although I'd feel more confident if PV4 were available. I also don't think moving Toure up will be of any benefit at all. I'd like Kolo to have as many games under his belt at central defense as possible so he'll be well versed in his role when during the stretch run.

BTW, is this one of the games he is scheduled to "sit" for as part of his suspension? Works pretty neatly (in a manUre/Keane-o sort of way) if that is the situation.

13. michaec

michaec Member

Arsenal
    England
    May 24, 2001
    Essex
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yeah, Vieira's suspended for this one anyway, so it does work out nicely. But I just remembered, so is Keown, so it looks like all-out attack from the midfield.

14. OPArsenal

OPArsenal New Member

Dec 17, 2002
    Jacksonville, FL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thoughts: Birmingham have a sweet defense. Low-scoring match. Predictions: phishy, get your voice warmed up, 'cuz you'll be singing "One-nil to the Arsenal!"

Depends on where the beer is from... :D

15. Martin Daoust

Martin Daoust New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Hartford, CT
    I have a strange feeling this won't be the nail-biting, one goal will win it contest, everyone here and elsewhere sees. I sense Henry will have a HUGE day-at least a brace(save some for the San Siro, Mate!)and either Pires or Freddie who are regaining top form we'll add a third. I do think we'll concede though, such is things of late...Birmingham(0)1, Arsenal (1)3. Remember they conceded three against United...

16. OPArsenal

OPArsenal New Member

Dec 17, 2002
    Jacksonville, FL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very true, Martin, that bit about United. I'll be willing to up my prediction to 2-0, but any higher would be sweet. Sweet indeed.

PS- The weather down here in FL finally turned cold!!! I wish it would snow, but oh, well... That said, this weather has me in the mood for some great football! [​IMG]

17. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I 2nd that OPArsenal.

I would love Arsenal to give the Blues a serious beating...like 3 or 4-0!

60's here in Chicago...warm for this time of year. Suppose to get chilly next week and snow too.

OPArsenal, where are you in FL? My mother-in-law is in Delray Beach. We might be moving to either the Tampa/St. Pete/Ft. Meyers area OR South Florida.

18. asfoolasiam

asfoolasiam New Member

Jul 2, 2001
    Takoma Park
    Club:
    DC United
    No Vieira, Gilberto, or Parlour. No Lauren. No Keown. (And AW has expressed that he has no intention of recalling Volz from Fulham.) If we struggle to finiish what chances we create against Birmingham's staunch defense, we could easily go down 1-0 or 2-1. Instead, I'm going to call this a 1-1 draw, and hope that Henry and Pires prove me wrong with a big game effort.

19. Colo11

Colo11 New Member

Oct 2, 2002
    Parker, CO
    3-0 Arsenal

Henry in the 3rd, 24th and 62nd minutes

20. Martin Daoust

Martin Daoust New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Hartford, CT
    Any tips on Powerball or at least the Connecticut Lottery? Seriously, I LOVE the scoreline you've gone for. I just don't trust the defence to keep it clean...

21. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with you. In fact...I'm probably a bit more pessimistic about this match. Honestly, I'll be happy with a draw, ecstatic with a win considering all the circumstances.

22. gunner_21

gunner_21 New Member

Apr 15, 2002
    Cumberland, Maryland
    So who the hell plays in this match? In the back we have Cole, Cygan, Campbell, Toure?

Midfield from: Edu, Pires, Ljungberg, perhaps Wiltord?

Forward from: Henry, Bergkamp, Aliadiere, Kanu?

So we have no subs. :rolleyes:

23. TxTechGooner

TxTechGooner we're having fun here, no?

Feb 24, 2003
    i believe this may of been mentioned somewhere.. but i think moving Toure in the midfield, Cygan to CB, and Hoyte to the wingback position..

Hoyte Campbell Cygan Cole

Toure Edu Pires Ljungberg

Bergkamp Henry

something of a makeshift but certainly capable of doin the job IMO..

it seems like ages ago since Paddy has suited up doesnt it.. what a massive boost (obviously) when he returns from injury~~~~~~

24. OPArsenal

OPArsenal New Member

Dec 17, 2002
    Jacksonville, FL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The way I see it:

Lehmann
    Hoyte Toure Campbell Cole

Pires Edu Kanu Ljungberg
    Henry Bergkamp

Or replace Kanu with Bergkamp. Either/or. Or Arsene could play Paul Spicer, but then I think we'd all get a message from Satan asking if we could please turn up the heat... :D

25. gunner_21

gunner_21 New Member

Apr 15, 2002
    Cumberland, Maryland
    Wiltord out.

Interesting piece in the preview from Arsenal.com.

from the site:

Wenger has yet to decide his team for tomorrow's tough-looking task. In midfield it would appear to be Edu, Robert Pires, Freddie Ljungberg plus one other. In the defence the manager has suggested two options, throw in Justin Hoyte, 19 on Thursday, for his full Premiership debut or moving the impressive Kolo Toure out to right back with Pascal Cygan coming in at centre half.

Edu, Pires, Ljungberg, and one other. One other making his debut for the Gunners. :p