Birmingham City F.C.

Discussion in 'Ecuador' started by Manolo, Jun 17, 2009.

1. damnecuadorian

Mar 11, 2007
    SF & NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Re: Birmingham City F.C. (R)

Nope, Premier League website says he assisted their only goal in their 1-2 loss against Bolton. Benitez played 90 minutes.

2. \^the king^/

\^the king^/ Member

Jul 4, 2007
    wherevr da action @
    Club:
    Liga de Quito

They scored and tied around the 82 and then f+cked up two minutes later to give up the second and the one hwich handed them the L.

3. Primitive Ways

Primitive Ways Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador

I just saw it, I was expecting him to run past 5 players or something. It was a nice little pass.

4. barcelonista1981

May 16, 2007
    GUAYAQUIL
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador

Does anybody know what's going on? I got up this morning and in Copa were saying that Benitez arrived this morning in Quito, doesn't Birmingham play this weekend??

5. Ecuadorian Black Op

Ecuadorian Black Op New Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Club:
    Emelec Guayaquil

ok for what i gathered English newspaper said that he is here because his dad was involved in a car accident. Strangely newspaper from Ecuador do not mention anything like that. Makes me wonder if he lied to get an early release from his club. If so i hope they don't figure this out because it could cause him problems with his club. Birmimgham has a key fixture againts Burnley and he would've played an important part in this match.

6. LDU4ever

LDU4ever Moderator
    Staff Member

Liga de Quito
    Ecuador
    Nov 21, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador

What is confirmed by both sides is that he needed to take care of some family stuff. I think Ecuadorian press said it's arranging the paperwork and planning for moving his family to England with him. As for the car accident, I'm not sure. He'd need to be in Quito as of this coming Sunday anyway because of the game against Uruguay on the 10th.

7. santo

santo Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Denver
    Club:
    Club Santos Laguna
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

Here to pay my respects to Chucho! I watch Birmingham to see him play, Santo por vida!

8. Manolo

Manolo Moderator
    Staff Member

May 14, 1997
    Queens, NY

Yeah, he's quoted in today's El Universo as saying he's back early to fix paperwork for his children. There's photos of him practicing yesterday with El Nacional.

This actually concerns me a bit, as I'd think he needs to prioritize his new club right now.

9. LDU4ever

LDU4ever Moderator
    Staff Member

Liga de Quito
    Ecuador
    Nov 21, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador

Agreed to an extent, but considering the timetable and him having to report back to Quito by Sunday, it made sense for to let him take care of this stuff now, instead of having to miss games when there's no WCQ to be played. He's already at that level of the starting XI and maybe one of the better players on the pitch, this won't affect him whatsoever. If anything, I'd rather have him in Quito adjusting to the altitude before everybody else, he is key for us winning the next game.

10. Primitive Ways

Primitive Ways Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
  11. Manolo

Manolo Moderator
    Staff Member

May 14, 1997
    Queens, NY

How about this team, huh? 11 games unbeaten, in 8th place right behind Liverpool and 3 points from a place in Europe. They are the hottest team in England right now.

1 Chelsea 20 14 3 3 45 16 9 1 0 27 6 5 2 3 18 10 29 45
    2 Manchester United 19 13 1 5 40 18 7 1 1 19 8 6 0 4 21 10 22 40
    3 Arsenal 18 12 2 4 47 20 8 0 1 28 7 4 2 3 19 13 27 38
    4 Tottenham Hotspur 20 11 4 5 42 22 7 0 3 26 8 4 4 2 16 14 20 37
    5 Manchester City 19 9 8 2 38 27 6 3 0 22 13 3 5 2 16 14 11 35
    6 Aston Villa 20 10 5 5 29 18 6 2 2 17 7 4 3 3 12 11 11 35
    7 Liverpool 20 10 3 7 37 25 6 2 2 26 11 4 1 5 11 14 12 33
    8 Birmingham 20 9 5 6 20 18 5 3 2 8 5 4 2 4 12 13 2 32
    9 Fulham 19 7 6 6 24 19 6 2 2 15 6 1 4 4 9 13 5 27
    10 Sunderland 20 6 5 9 28 31 5 3 2 18 13 1 2 7 10 18 -3 23

12. Primitive Ways

Primitive Ways Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
  13. LDU4ever

LDU4ever Moderator
    Staff Member

Liga de Quito
    Ecuador
    Nov 21, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/opi...p-on-the-bench-by-New-Year-article242505.html

interesting thought put out in that blog or whatever it is....If Birmingham has some cash to spend during the transfer window, then they have to bolster their attacking options because even with fanciful dribbling and good pace, the dude isn't doing his job----which lets not forget is to score goals. And with the expectations coming in for him after Santos Laguna, he should have about 7-9 goals right now and only has 1. PFFFT! The dude isn't doing anything, and that's my problem...Plays a hell of a game, misses the screamer or the easy shot and later is accurate on the harder shots that aren't gonna go in...what the hell is wrong with this dude

14. Manolo

Manolo Moderator
    Staff Member

May 14, 1997
    Queens, NY

I signed up on the Blues forum at bcfcforum.co.uk and I've been reading and posting regularly. There are a couple of Chucho doubters, but by far the majority support him and think he could be a big star for them. My view is that despite not scoring much, he's the ONLY player on Birmingham that is a consistent threat, there's no way they would be on such a streak if it wasn't for him. He is the only link between the midfield and the attack.

The problem was expectations were always too high. Big mistake to buy him and expect that he will immediately tear up the scoring charts. There's no way he would have scored so many goals at Santos without Vuoso and Luduena. Now at Birmingham he doesn't have players like that beside him, instead they are hard workers, so Chucho supplies 90% of the creativity for them. Problem is, that means he is marked very tightly.

I think if Blues go out and buy more of a pure striker that would be a good idea, but still think they would need Chucho to run and dribble and create opportunities. And if the other guy starts scoring goals, they have to mark him tighter and that creates room for Chucho to score more.

15. b9d23m89

b9d23m89 Member

Jun 27, 2004
    house on the hills
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador

Birmingham needs to let this clown go...it's the same story all the time. Played a good game, but didn't score. Birmingham seriously wasted their money on him, I was screaming that out from the start...and look now, 2 goals. He isn't a threat at all. He makes his teammates a threat...I'm sure Birmingham could have spent that money on a player who is a 1.) goal scoring threat and 2.) a good play maker. Benitez does 50% of his job just about every game. No ones expecting for him to be a goal scoring machine in a team like Birmingham, but 2 goals is just beyond pitiful. So much for making fun of Hugo Rodallega...

Either Birmingham gets a good striker to keep this mamon company up front or they should just loan him out back to El Nacional so he can restart his career all over again. FAIL...

16. cristian1mv

cristian1mv Member

Jul 6, 2005

completely wrong a lot of there goals have started because of benitez even tho hes not scoring he starts and allows his teammates to score.. i still dont see why he hasnt been changed to an attacking midfielder....

17. Manolo

Manolo Moderator
    Staff Member

May 14, 1997
    Queens, NY

Well, here's the thread from the Blues forum - if you didn't know any better, you could say this was the Ecuador national team discussion. Same virtues, same defects.

I think it's pretty clear - he is not a goalscorer. He is a playmaker who can score. If you put him as your main attacker, like at Ecuador and Birmingham at the beginning of the season, he will fail. If you put him behind one or two guys who can score, you will win games because he creates chances.

18. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  19. LDU4ever

LDU4ever Moderator
    Staff Member

Liga de Quito
    Ecuador
    Nov 21, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador

but they hired him to score goals...I mean, we all understand the point that he creates chances and to that note, I totally agree with you. My beef is that when he's got the sitter, he's still missing them- that shot that went clear over the crossbar a few games ago...that was just embarrassing. Also, Birmingham would have won a few more games if he scored those easy shots. I know there's a lot of pressure, but either he's terrible at channeling it positively or he's still mentally in Mexico where futbol is a few notches below England. Lets not forget that Birmingham is only averaging one goal per game, and almost conceding one per game as well...so it's almost null and void, from a perspective of his overall contribution. 18 games and 2 goals and he's billed as a striker...that's a problem in my opinion. Either way, it almost looks like he's not ready for primetime. He also falls victim to that hubris that Guerron is notorious for....sometimes he'll take the stupid shot instead of the easy pass. He can be a bit of a glory hound. I hope he can start scoring quick, or he'll be riding the bench. If the pressure on Valencia is 100 times greater and he's already got like 6 or 7 goals to his name, then Benitez should really be embarrassed being in such a small market and underachieving.

20. b9d23m89

b9d23m89 Member

Jun 27, 2004
    house on the hills
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador

truth.

attacking midfielder...NOT a striker! If he ever has the balls to show his face in our NT again it better be as an attacking midfielder and never EVER as a forward or a striker. It's pretty clear by now.

21. b9d23m89

b9d23m89 Member

Jun 27, 2004
    house on the hills
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador

if you read my comment...I did not state AT ALL that he was a bad play maker. Every person on this forum knows Benitez and his great ability to dribble, pass, and create chances for his teammates. I think no one on this forum would ever argue that fact. BUT like LDU4ever said, he was hired as a STRIKER aka a GOLEADOR. And 2 goals is shameful at this point. I also said, no one is expecting him to be a goal scoring machine in a team like Birmingham...if he were in Manchester Untd, most people would be expect him to be scoring all the time (although he still wouldn't be a goal scoring machine there either IMO cuz he sucks hardcore at finishing). Whoever told Benitez he was a forward/striker was an complete idiot. He's been playing the wrong position his whole career... and the mexican league is a completely different story. I remember saying Benitez wouldn't be ish in the EPL and so far I'm right. The man struggles to get a goal against defenders in the Qualifier (and YES I KNOW playing at NT level is totally different) when we had a powerful midfield plagued with talent to help him score...and he only scored 3 goals. What makes anyone think he'll be more successful at Birmingham then he was in our NT?? that, I would love to know.

22. Manolo

Manolo Moderator
    Staff Member

May 14, 1997
    Queens, NY

Guys, this isn't soccer with your buddies at the park. Coaches have put Benitez in his position. And if they didn't like what he was doing, they shouldn't have selected him. But despite lacking goals, he is a guaranteed starter at Birmingham and Ecuador. Why? Because there's nobody better available. So the story is not as simple as "get rid of him".

Valencia is a perfect example - 7 goals in 3 years at a small club. Why? Because it's HARD to score when you're defending 75% of the time. Now Valencia is on a team where the other 10 players are all fast, skillful, and creative which creates more opportunities for him.

I disagree with the notion that Benitez would not score if he was at Man Utd. Of course it makes a difference what players are around you. Has nothing to do with the Mexican league being supposedly a lot worse than the EPL. It has everything to do with what team you play for, and how they play.

Rodallega is doing very well at Wigan, so according to that logic of the Mexican league is so much easier, he should have broken every scoring record in Mexico. He also should have scored a lot of goals for Colombia, but that didn't really happen either. Different teams, different opportunities.

23. pepe pancho

pepe pancho Member

May 30, 2009
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Liga de Quito

The reason Rodallega can't score for Colombia is that there midfield lacks creativity,and that lack of finishing touch at the end. Besides when your on national team duty it is alot more pressure on you than when your playing for your club team. Also, i agree that if Benitez had a proper partership at front he would probably score way more.

24. Quilotoa

Quilotoa Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Brasilia, Brazil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador

Not making excuses for Benitez, but I think he should have at least 3 more goals this season. I have watched most games and have seen some of the most amazing saves from his shots. Also, a couple off the woodwork and that disallowed goal from the weekend. He still should score a few more though.

25. Manolo

Manolo Moderator
    Staff Member

May 14, 1997
    Queens, NY