Birmingham C.- Charlton Athletic [r]

Discussion in 'Charlton Athletic' started by RobtheAggie, Nov 3, 2003.

1. kevruth

kevruth Member

May 30, 2001
    Perrysburg, Ohio, US
    The Addicks name comes from one of the former owners of the club who had a fish business. The players were treated to fish dinners after every match. A cartoonist got wind of it and referred to them as the Addicks in one of his cartoons. He spelled haddock the way most Englanders might pronounce it. My understanding is that he also didn't know how to spell haddock as well. The name just stuck after that.

Now to the match and what a match it was. That midfield continues to control the game. The middle four just seem to slow everyone they face. Scotty was everywhere and with all of those tackles I'm really surprised he hadn't picked up a yellow card until so late in the game just from his reputation for picking up yellows.

Matt Holland was the missing link in the midfield. And he has really worked out well since Curbs moved him from the middle to the right. Matt and Kish have paired well down that right side. Together they are creating all sorts of problems for defenses.

With Matt moving to the right it allows Claus to go back to the middle where he is much better suited. Claus doesn't get so worn out running down the wing.

One person who has not been mentioned much is Graham Stuart. He has quietly gone about his business and has really down well moving to the left side.

The back four has really closed down attackers. Kish and Hermann don't let anyone get by them and their counter attacks have just been awesome.

The center halves have really been the best they've been all season. Fish has been known to make a few blunders and Perry made some horrible defensive decisions (think of the Heskey holding in the Liverpool match). These two have turned it around.

And what can you say about Deano. He continues to keep Charlton in every match. Kiely and Maik Taylor were putting on a goalkeeping clinic. My hat is off to both keepers.

What I'm most happy about is that Curbs could finally carry two strikers on the bench. Charlton uses their strikers to chase and hawk opponents who have the ball. This wears the strikers down. We now have subs who can come in and continue the pressure.

My only complaint was with Curbs substitution decisions. I wondered why (and so did Capital Gold's commentators) Euell came out and not Johansson. With no midfielders on the bench Euell could have dropped back into the midfield and another striker brought on to replace a midfielder. Euell was creating all kinds of trouble. The only thing I can think of is that Jonaton was making some great wide runs that Birmingham had to end up giving away corners.

Now if we can just dispose of Fulham......