Birmingham C.- Charlton Athletic [r]

Discussion in 'Charlton Athletic' started by RobtheAggie, Nov 3, 2003.

1. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Addicks score in the 11th minute from Matt Holland.

2. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    PArker is playing well on both sides.

Holland scores!!!!!!!!!!

2-0

Jensen corner to Johannsen, heads it back into the fray before the goal. Holland put it away from two yards out.

Birmingham City has a nine month home unbeaten streak. That looks like with 30 minutes left it will be broken.

4. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    St. Andrews has gone very quiet.

The traveling Charlton fans are making more noise than all of the City fans.

5. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Forsell and Hughes are playing well together. Corner off Perry, Dugarry has a header go off a player.

Dugarry scores a quick header off a quick corner.

1-2.

6. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    St. Andrews seems to have become alive. The fans are starting to wake up. The announcers have commented quite a few times about how Birmingham City seems to be susceptable on the counter-attack.

Keily has a great save from a point-blank shot.

Lisbe on for Euell???

7. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Svennsson on for Johannson. The broadcasters are saying that Lisbe and Svennsson are on to help run down the clock.

Lisbe fouled just outside the box.

Jensen puts it over the bar.

75'. Only 15 more minutes for three points.

8. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lisbe gets a great pass from Jensen. Lisbe fires a shot with Taylor turns over for a corner.

Jensen puts a corner, Parker shoots just over the bar.

9. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Birmingham has gone to three in the front. That leaves the back very exposed.

10. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Parker has a great run. Forces Taylor into a difficult save. Charlton wastes the corner.

Parker gets a yellow for a professional foul.

Lisbe carrying for a long counterattack. Holds it too long and Stuart goes offside.

Fortune on for Stuart.

11. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lisbe has a hard shot, Taylor saves but Holland is just beaten to the loose ball at the six yard box.
    84' six minutes.

12. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Keily saves a hard shot from Dunn. Corner is taken, Jensen is stalling down in the Birmingham corner.

13. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Keily takes a sure goal away from Forsell header. Stern John comes on for Birmingham.

90 seconds left.

Addick free kick.

14. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    3 minutes of injury time.

Lisbe collects a Birmingham free kick. Takes it down to the Birmingham third.

Passing the ball between Charlton players, taking lots of time.

Morrison gets a quick header off a countertack for Birmingham.

15. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Charlton wins 1-2.

Great play from Parker, Holland, and Keily.

The announcers are talking about how this game was a match between two very similar teams. Both hard working and fundamentally sound.

The announcer said that "If Parker was playing on Man U,Arsenal, or Chelsea there is no question that he would be playing on the English National team."

Charlton is now seventh in the standings.

16. hartley

hartley Member

Reads like a great victory!

I can't wait to watch the tape at home tonight.

I recently became a Charlton fan. I am third generation American on my Dad's side -- from Maidstone in Kent. Felt that Charlton was the closest PDL team geographically. Like the manager a lot.

So, gents, what is an Addick anyway? Thanks in advance.

17. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. RobB

RobB New Member

Aug 8, 2003
    Birmingham
    I thought Curbishly would go to Spurs a few weeks ago, but they`ll need to double his wages for him to go now. It would have been 4 away wins on the bounce for Charlton, but we (Villa) stole a win last month squeezing out a 2-1 from somwhere. They will finish seventh-Tenth. Don`t know about the Addicks nickname though. I don`t think anyone in Kent supports Charlton, they`ll all be Arsenal fans.

19. hartley

hartley Member

Don't think I could support Arsenal. Don't get me wrong. They play some interesting and exciting football at times. I like it when they are on with their passing game and building up from the back.

But, well, I don't care for Wenger. He is a bit too "french" for me. Sometimes a little to arrogant.

Besides, I prefer to root for the underdogs. I cheering on Arsenal would be like rooting for the Yankees or the Lakers. Uncomfortable for me.

I also support the KC Wizards, though I wish I could get them to change the name. Something more regional, like Scouts (we have an Indian Scout sculpture in KC) or the Pioneers, or the Blue Birds (Missouri State Bird) or the Meadow Larks (Kansas State Bird).

I wish Curbs could manage KC in the MLS. Much better than Gansler.

20. TheFallen29

TheFallen29 New Member

Nov 25, 2001
    New York City
    If we're the Yankees, then who are Manchester United?

Anyway, I think the other guy is underestimating the Addicks a bit...they're only a point out of 4th place as it stands right now, and if they can do this with half the first-choice side out...well...then someone prove to me that this isn't a side that can finish in 4th or 5th place.

If Dean Kiely played anywhere else, he may not have had to retire from international football...Given's good and all, but this is a guy who's been consistently good even when he hasn't had much in front of him.

21. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree completley. Kiely is as good or better than Given. I guess Given being younger works for his benifit though. The same thing about Scott Parker. This guy is amazing. He had lots of oppourtunities to leave Charlton this summer for bigger clubs, but he chose to sign a five year deal with the Addicks. He should be on England's national team.

22. hartley

hartley Member

What a game!

Parker was truly amazing. Yes, he should get a nod for England.

And though I support the Addicks, I thought the goalkeeping on both ends was fantastic.

Now if Curbs can get his strikers to finish. No offense to anyone, but that should have been 4-1. Chances wasted by the strikers. I know there have been injury problems.

So, who is coming back that I should keep my eye on as far as strikers go?

Also, did anyone see the foul on Fish when the Frenchman scored on that header for the Blue? Another Blues player ran interference and clearly held Fish down on the leap.

And since I am a newbie, can someone tell me how many teams from the EPL get into Champions League and how many into the UEFA Cup? I think Charlton, if they continue to play this well, will have their first run in the UEFA Cup next year.

23. TheFallen29

TheFallen29 New Member

Nov 25, 2001
    New York City
    I disagree. Dugarry's goal was good...there's always some jostling and pushing in the box when a cross is sent in...this IS a physical sport.

That said, I believe 4 go to the Champions' League (though the 4th place team has to go through a qualifying round), and I believe 5-6-7 get automatic places into the UEFA. Also, the FA Cup winner (or runner-up, if the winner is going to the Champions' League) makes it in, as well as the Fair Play League (least yellow/red cards) winner.

Striking-wise, they're missing Shaun Bartlett (former South African international), Kevin Lisbie (had a fantastic hat trick against Liverpool before getting hurt), and Carlton Cole (promising youngster). They're seriously working with their 4th and 5th-choice strikers at the moment.

As for the Addick thing, the story I heard was that it's a reference to the fish and chips sold around their old ground (The Valley is actually only a few years old)...Haddock is the most common fish used for that, and with the English pronounciation, it's becomes 'addick. So, you get the Addicks.

24. sandro710

sandro710 Member

Mar 4, 2000
    Windber, PA
    Welcome to bigSoccer hartley!

Despite being a Charlton fan all my life I am not completely sure about the derivation of "Addicks" although I'm pretty sure it comes from "haddocks" as someone else mentioned.

Also someone mentioned people in Kent supporting Arsenal. This is a curious assumption since Kent is southeast of London and Arsenal are in North London. In fact, people in Kent who are close to London could support any of the London teams although Charlton would be the closest team. People further out may support Gillingham or Maidstone.

Charlton are looking really solid right now although they have not been getting good play out of the front line without Bartlett, DiCanio and Lisbie. Parker's performance on Monday should convince anyone that he deserves a place in Endland's squad. His stamina is phenomenal and his tackling tenacious but what really sets him apart is his ability with the ball. He looks very comfortable running upfield and making the correct pass.

25. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I remember correctly, as it currently stands, England has 4 CL spots and 2 Uefa Cup spots. The winner of the FA Cup also gets a UEFA Cup spot, unless they have already claimed another spot, then it goes to the runner-up.

Man City got into the UEFA Cup this year through the Fair Play award.

Also a club could try to qualify through the Intertoto Cup. Three teams from England can try, but none attempted last year.