Bill Hamid at DC United (on loan from FC Midtjylland)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by prowazekii, Oct 28, 2011.

1. youth=glory

youth=glory Member

Sep 2, 2010
    I thought the same with Guzan, but I just don't see an EPL team (especially one on the bubble) just handing the reins to a 21-22 yo American kid that "hasn't proven himself in a top league".

2. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    not at this stage of his career. He can move when he is farther along and move as a clear starter. The Guzan story is not pretty.

3. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Goff tweeted that it looks like Hamid will have an offseason training stint in Europe.

5. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good. maybe he can learn how to channel that anger. In Europe someone will knock his ass to the ground dislaying the temper he does at times. Great prospect but I hope he cools it down just a notch. Maybe his mentor Timmy can show him.

6. raza_rebel

raza_rebel Member+

Dec 11, 2000
    Club:
    Univ de Chile
    Hamid is a great prospect but maddeningly infuriating at the same time. He's young and still learning but he really needs to work on his emotion (aka. red cards) and mental awareness. THo is a yeller and Hamid considers him his role model. It would be good for Hamid to go to Everton and work with Howard to separate the yelling from the emotion. And Ben Olsen needs to help Hamid out as well.

He has a lot of potential and is still on the upswing of the talent curve. He's aggressive and athletic, which he relies too much on. IMHO he can work on his footwork, distribution and placement. Glad he is going and getting some off-season training.

m vann repped this.
  7. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    surely he should go to some place known for reasonable goalkeeping like Germany, Italy, Spain to train than England, we dont want him to regress now by going to England do we :D

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  8. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    His hands are also so-so and that's a bad trait for a GK to have.

Timmy's hands, fwiw, aren't that great either.

9. tbonepat11

tbonepat11 Member+

Jun 21, 2001
    Ben Olsen has been quoted as saying that the DC United backup is ready to take over. He fully expects Hamid to leave in the next year or so and isn't delusional about it.

10. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Joe might actually be the better keeper, he has no reason to sweat it.

11. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No way in hell is Willis better than Hamid. That's crazy talk. Willis is decent, but Hamid is really good.
    I can think of two reds he's gotten, and both were for DOGSO fouls, not punching someone.

12. raza_rebel

raza_rebel Member+

Dec 11, 2000
    Club:
    Univ de Chile
    I agree with you. Hamid is the better option of the two. Hamid has had 3 Yellows and 2 Reds this season. I don't remember how many he had last season. The issue with me (as a former GK) is his temper tantrums. Hamid's OG versus NYRB was a prime example. No need to remonstrate and go after the ref. Hamid bowling over a Toronto player last year is another example. His tweets after his red card this playoff season.

m vann repped this.
  13. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    my issue with hamid is his ratio of save to "oh my sweet jesus.....you just cost us the game" percentage. I dont recall Joe costing DC any matches or unnecessary goals. I can recall Bill doing it at least three times this year be it a temper or butterfingers McGee-ing the ball into the net. Sean Johnson only has the butter fingers, but those are valuable points that even a keepers like Joe Willis, Bobby Shuttlesworth, and Brad Knighton dont allow.

14. Sup Bro

Sup Bro Member+

Oct 26, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He can be remarkably inconsistent but he's had a couple where it''s looked like nothing could get past him. A lot of his flaws are being exposed because he is so young. The sooner he can fix these kinks the sooner he can be a top class keeper. What is he, 21?

15. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Had an EPL club wanted him, he'd be sent to the U-21 league for a year or two, then loaned out.

The problem with that strategy is that it may not be enough to convince someone in the Labor Office of giving him a UK work permit.

16. jhw1

jhw1 Member

Aug 11, 2012
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    But Hamid also gets to a lot of balls Willis doesn't. Hamid led MLS in save percentage this year -- right ahead of Michael Gspurning and Tally Hall. The guy has his rough edges to be sure -- his aerial game as well as general inconsistency and his bizarre habit of collecting red cards -- but he's already the kind of GK who makes his team stronger. DC is lucky to have him right now, and he's only going to get better.

Hararea repped this.
  17. jhw1

jhw1 Member

Aug 11, 2012
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    But Hamid also gets to a lot of balls Willis doesn't. Hamid led MLS in save percentage this year -- right ahead of Michael Gspurning and Tally Hall. The guy has his rough edges to be sure -- his aerial game as well as general inconsistency and his bizarre habit of collecting red cards -- but he's already the kind of GK who makes his team stronger. DC is lucky to have him right now, and he's only going to get better.

18. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Keeper is a different beast.

I'd rather have Hamid starting at DCU for another year or so than sitting on the bench at a "bigger club." He's only 21.

19. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. No good reason other than cash for Hamid to go to West Brom or really any other country.

20. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    West Brom is a juggernaut.

Bill, strike iron while it's hot.

21. DearGodNotBornstein

Aug 16, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can this please become an official statistic?

22. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I honestly think he feels that he has to make his saves look great for tv or play hurt through a game. Most of the times this ends up biting him in the a**. Just take the U-23 fiasco, when he had no business playing after that injury. His own goal against New York was primarily due to Hamid trying to make contact with the NYRB player.

If he can clean that part of his game, he will get a lot better. He has the tools to succeed. He has to put them all together and limit the mistakes to really be a good prospect for a European team.

23. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Most of our NTs have gotten time in the PL. has any Dutch or Scandinavian clubs made a move dor any MLS player while in MLS I mean?

24. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For those critical of Hamid's DOGSO foul against Cooper in the playoffs I will point out that it saved the series for DCU. My only complaint about the play is that it would have been better if Hamid got off his line faster and made the foul outside the box.

25. raza_rebel

raza_rebel Member+

Dec 11, 2000
    Club:
    Univ de Chile
    Does anyone know if Hamid is training or in DC? I ask because I could have swore that I saw him and his significant other in Chinatown last night. Didn't want to bother the guy as he was with his lady friend. Also, last time I met Frankie Hejduk, I rattled off every club he played for and he was either 1 - impressed or 2 - unnerved.